Things just feel different with Pruitt

Thanksgiving prayer.
Please Dear Lord bless Coach Pruitt, his staff, the players and their families and VN members and all the fans and VFLs.
Please Lord continue to bless Coach Pruitt with the patience to deal with Vol fans. May he prosper and game plan with the best and take this program to great heights and prove to be a Vol legend. Amen.
( Am I going to Hell for asking for football success? )

To mention "Butch" in the same category as Pruitt is insane. You do know the 1-4 record is in the past. The present record is 6-5. Bowl Game!! 3rd place in the East. I doubt Butch's best team could beat this one. Which is likely to be Jeremy's 2nd worst team.

To mention Butch ANYMORE is insane. Let's bury the horror of Butch and move on.

Don't worry, it's full. Bama fans are there, and will truly be there when they have a 4 loss or more

Oh geez. Thanks for reminding me about having to spend eternity burning with a bunch of Bammers. Guess I better get it together to avoid that.

Reactions: ptcarter
Old school hard nosed football coach that's honest with the Kids. He eats , sleeps and breaths it. Not a used car salesman like the previous coach.. Good turnaround but the jury is still out on Pruitt. Looking positive though. Has built a good defense in less than 2 years. That is impressive i will say. Shorthanded i might add. When he gets a full 85 it may be really good. I think much better days are ahead on Rocky Top. Should start being in the mix for the East soon.
This is a good take IMO. I think we have good reason to be genuinely excited. We still have a way to go, but its definitely looking good.

Obviously we're still going to have some ups and downs, everyone does and he's still learning, but hopefully we see less of the "downs" that are avoidable and just part if it, and start seeing more of the ups.

I know, should have blah blah blah, (not directed to you, just in general) but I predicted 7-5 before season. Had us winning GaSt and BYU and losing to SC and Missouri. If I can't have all 4 as wins and can only choose one way or the other, I'll take it just the way it is.

Its possible and looking good we end the season on a 6 game win streak! Doesn't matter who it was against, they were on the schedule. The only choice we had is to win or lose.

Go Vols!

A good portion of VN saw his talents last year. Some couldn't get passed the W/L record to see the team improved in effort. Only thing that kept us out of a bowl game last year was a few team members quit on him. JMO of course.

I think that it was the OC that quit on him the last two games as he had his job at Western Kentucky lined up and was working on that if I had to give a guess.

Coach Pruitt recognizing Missouri’s fake punt and screaming it out to his players wasn’t an isolated incident. I recall his recognition of Auburn’s offensive plays and calling certain blitzes to counter from the sidelines last year. And it made me think: when have we had a coach who was so talented at seeing the game in real time and playing it like a master of chess? Fulmer was a CEO type. Dooley...no. Butch...no. Kiffin would come closest, but on the offensive side of the ball.

Things just feel different with Pruitt. He has a great football mind. I’ve said since last year that he’s the best defensive mind on The Hill since Ken Donahue. On top of that, he’s a disciplinarian, but a player’s coach for whom players want to perform. He and His staff have obviously developed this roster, as well. He seems to have all the requisite skills to succeed.

I remember in the 90s wishing we had an X’s and O’s mind like Spurrier...a guy who gives you a tactical advantage every time out. That not only puts players in a better position to make plays, but it also creates a psychological advantage (which is really where Spurrier’s teams had Fulmer’s beat). I think we have that now, but on the defensive side of the ball.

This rebuild is still a work in progress. There are still a lot of mental mistakes to clean up. The talent still needs to improve. But we have our football coach. I’ve hoped that with the others. I believe it now. This just feels different.

Ive been trying to say this for months but you’ve said it better than I ever could

Things started to turn really around when he started going to Gus’s. I’ve heard that each French Fry batch is blessed by Gus’s mother who is 1/4 Cherokee and works as a fry cook and is a spiritual healer for Cherokee warriors and pit bosses.

The story is that Fulmer was Gus’s biggest customer and practically kept them in business by eating pounds of fries each day. When he was fired, she cursed Tennessee football. Now, between Pruitt and Coach Cheney, they’ve doubled what Fulmer would eat and she removed the curse.

Fyi...just sayin
Seems legit. I’m going with this. Get those men some more fries!!!

Reactions: mickey1969
He will win 5 SEC games with nothing special on the D line. That is good work in the SEC.

Anyone making these threads under Butch was fooled. Pruitt isnt doing this with smoke and mirrors. He is doing it with fundamental football played with great effort by his players.

I think you are right. But Based on past coaches, I'm still a little hesitant on going all in on a coach. Just need to see a little more.....imo

totally agree. I trust the guy. His culture is just starting to take shape and his players are taking on his personality. I trust him in recruiting bc he knows what hes looking at. His track record shows hes among one of the better player developers in the country. Just sit back and enjoy the climb.

The coaching is there and now we just need an upgrade in talent and depth in some places. I think getting to a bowl game will show some recruits that may have been on the fence that we are on the way back. Player development,which has been nonexistent at UT for a while, is back and showing benefits. There are a lot of positives to see with the current staff.
just look at Nigel Warrior and our dline as proof of player development this year.

I swear, you guys are the most fickle fan base of all time. Do I really need to go find the threads on here after the first few games? He went from genius, to imbecile, to genius, in 6 weeks.
I was thinking the exact same thing. He was all but drawn and quartered after the first couple of games.. Stand by for the threads proclaiming he will be going back to Tuscaloosa in a couple of seasons

I agree with much of what you said. I think the biggest boom we could get is to get a bowl game and be a 2 touchdown under dog. You give Pruitt, his staff and this TEAM a month to prepare for the game. I like our odds of winning. If we do this it would make a great impact on our recruiting. This not the same team that started this season. Stevie Wonder can see the difference. I can not remember watching a team that has made as big of improvement.
Our days of being 14 point underdogs is slowly coming to an end.

Need to see more success. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that we were 1-4 with a couple embarrassing losses. Plus recruiting right now isn't exactly taking off.

Need to see some 9 and 10 win seasons before "I believe it"

We had these same type of threads early on with Butch

Pumping the brakes is not something this place is known for.

The coaching is there and now we just need an upgrade in talent and depth in some places. I think getting to a bowl game will show some recruits that may have been on the fence that we are on the way back. Player development,which has been nonexistent at UT for a while, is back and showing benefits. There are a lot of positives to see with the current staff.

As some of y'all mention, player development and improvement as the season goes on are two more indicators of quality coaching. And, as someone else said, I'm really excited to see what Pruitt and staff can do in a bowl game with a month to prepare. I think that's an advantage for UT now. It's been a long time since I thought that about a coach/staff at Tennessee.

I swear, you guys are the most fickle fan base of all time. Do I really need to go find the threads on here after the first few games? He went from genius, to imbecile, to genius, in 6 weeks.

I've seen the Swamp with about 15K empty seats for an Auburn game in October because Florida had a couple of losses. Florida regularly returns about 75% of its allotment for games in Knoxville. A Florida fan calling Tennessee fans "fickle" is like a Catholic priest accusing the Presbyterians of pedophilia.

Things started to turn really around when he started going to Gus’s. I’ve heard that each French Fry batch is blessed by Gus’s mother who is 1/4 Cherokee and works as a fry cook and is a spiritual healer for Cherokee warriors and pit bosses.

The story is that Fulmer was Gus’s biggest customer and practically kept them in business by eating pounds of fries each day. When he was fired, she cursed Tennessee football. Now, between Pruitt and Coach Cheney, they’ve doubled what Fulmer would eat and she removed the curse.

Fyi...just sayin

Screw Cheney! The son-ova-gun can't shoot straight. and tries to kill his friends. He's strictly Bush league. Uh-huh!

Reactions: bullet20
Need to see more success. Remember, it wasn't that long ago that we were 1-4 with a couple embarrassing losses. Plus recruiting right now isn't exactly taking off.

Need to see some 9 and 10 win seasons before "I believe it"

We had these same type of threads early on with Butch
True. I seen the forest for the trees though. I always thought Butch was an idiot.

Reactions: vols 30
I've seen the Swamp with about 15K empty seats for an Auburn game in October because Florida had a couple of losses. Florida regularly returns about 75% of its allotment for games in Knoxville. A Florida fan calling Tennessee fans "fickle" is like a Catholic priest accusing the Presbyterians of pedophilia.

That was funny 'bout Catholics and Presbyterians. Got a laugh out of me. That aside, Protestant denominations aren't innocent of the same behaviors as Catholics, they're just better at hiding it.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back