Things built, torn down and other projects.(Pictures)

I'm in the process of adding a porch to the side of my woodshed. Slow going when you are working alone. I dug the post holes with a small excavator I'd rented. And then it rained.

Setting posts is at least a 2 man job. For the first time, I had one post fall over on me. And I had it in the right place and level. Took down all my strings I had carefully and accurately put in place to align by. But at least I managed to roll clear and 100_1290.JPGit missed me. So I put up my tools and quit for the day. A few minutes later, I hooked the tractor to it and started again. Got it back in place and put the dirt around it. ONe more to go.

This post is almost perfectly level. But it is about 6 - 8 inches to far from the building and 6-8 inches to far outside the building. Moving it is a process. But I do have an extension on the tractor boom pole, so I can pick it up and work with it. And of course, it rained after I dug the holes.
100_1284.JPG

And this took place over Thanksgiving. I had Wed-Sun off, so I rented a very small excavator and commenced to work the road up the mountain behind my house. I put a 15" culvert and a 12" culvert and built a road up the hill to a flat on the mountain that I'm wanting to gain access to.100_1232a.jpg

Made a road up the hill, having to dig out a good sized beech tree, a layer of super hard "sandrock" and a pile of building grade mountain stone in the process. All I can say is it's a good 4-wheeler road. I've got to get a dozer for this job.100_1254.JPG100_1249.JPG100_1245.JPG

It saddened me when the developers of the property behind my own took out every American beech tree. Heck, they left a pitiable sweetgum in place, but no beech was allowed to remain.

I've got more beeches than you can shake a stick at. It makes good firewood.

It was dark and spitting sleet when I got home from work yesterday. So I bundled up and capped my headlight down over my toboggan. Mainly because I had demanded a rematch with this post that needed adjusting. After about two hours of struggling mightily with an 8 foot pry bar and a level, I got it within 1/4 of an inch of where it needed to be - in both directions. "Close enough" as they say. Shoveled the hole full of dirt and went to the house. I'm ready to begin work on the beam that spans from post to post.

Ralph the dog was concerned about the water. So yeah, the dirt pushed the water out. 100_1288.JPG

Cut this beech for firewood about 3 or 4 years ago. Looking at the tree before it falls, I wanted it to fall in between 12:00 o'clock and 2:00 o'clock. It went more like 10:00.

I needed to saw some more on the lower side, but I chickened out and got outta Dodge. Big hollow beeches are dangerous things.

[VIDEO=][/VIDEO]

Last edited:
Cut this beech for firewood about 3 or 4 years ago. Looking at the tree before it falls, I wanted it to fall in between 12:00 o'clock and 2:00 o'clock. It went more like 10:00.

I needed to saw some more on the lower side, but I chickened out and got outta Dodge. Big hollow beeches are dangerous things.

[VIDEO=][/VIDEO]

Big ole hollow tree on a big ole slope = an 8 Pucker factor.

VN Store

Back