There's no reason we shouldn't be able to upset Alabama

Bama comes out flat, drops two interceptions in the first half, we score on a pick 6 with a final score of 14-7 Bama. Pruitt feels vindicated by the close score and starts JG the rest of the year.

I agree with the OP! The Alabama defense is terrible. If we have a QB not named JG we have a chance. You all sure have some short memories. 6 quarters ago we had the longest win streak in college football and we were winning at Georgia 21-17. 7 turnovers resulting in 3 touchdowns changed our mindset as a fanbase. Take JG out of the equation and we actually do have a chance at the upset. The biggest reason is that this is set up to be the ultimate trap game with Alabama coming off a big win against Georgia. The one thing that could have made this set up for a more likely upset would have been a noon game. One more thing, Ole Miss came very close to pulling off the upset but fell short because they may be the only defense actually worse than Alabama's.

Really? You're astonished that after a historic 27-point HOME loss to Kentucky...KENTUCKY...that VolNation doesn't think we can beat Alabama tomorrow?

Your delusions of grandeur never cease to amaze, Nationdom.

Not to mention the idea that just changing QBs is going to make the difference is just incredibly simplistic and naive.

We had an opportunity last year, and despite the last 2 games, we're still a better team than we were at that point last season. Our offensive line is certainly better, and we should be able to have a lot of success running the ball against Alabama's less-than stellar defense.

As long as we can continue to be competent on defense, and our offense doesn't put us in a huge whole to start the game (JG), we can definitely keep the game close, if not coming close to a possible upset near the end of the game.

But the biggest thing this will depend on is QB. We won't have a chance if JG is the guy. But if we have someone else behind the center, I feel that would do a lot for the excitement within the players on the field, and that they would play hard and rally around a new guy. But that energy will be nonexistent if it's JG they're playing with.

Put the past 2 weeks behind us. With a bit of perspective and the right moves by the coaches (I know, I know. Pruitt hasn't made the right move at QB as of yet), this can definitely be a game with upset potential.

It must be so nice to be this positive.

Anyone who thinks this game will be close needs a reality check.

Bama is much better coached and disciplined.

Reactions: Tshotdan
JG is the reason we can’t upset Bama.

Look what Bama did to the last limited QB they faced. They played like they were supposed to and got there hands up forcing the shorter QB to have to either try and lob it over the top or scramble to the open lane before he could throw.

What they will do to JG is rush early and often trying to stop our run game and force us to throw. Once they know they have us in throwing downs they will go into a disguised cover 3 and force him to make check down throws or throw into double and triple coverage at which point he will throw a pick.

Keep in mind, my premise relied on JG not being the QB tomorrow. If he his, then I agree with you.

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Just because we’re a better team doesn’t mean the outcome will be different. We were playing against them whenever they had to throw Mac Jones into the fire when he wasn’t ready. That offense is clicking on all cylinders this year, even better than when Tua was in there. I don’t see any scenario where we win unless their entire 1st and 2nd string gets COVID and they are forced to play their 3rd and 4th stringers. Then it would be a toss up at that point.

Reactions: Tshotdan
We had an opportunity last year, and despite the last 2 games, we're still a better team than we were at that point last season. Our offensive line is certainly better, and we should be able to have a lot of success running the ball against Alabama's less-than stellar defense.

As long as we can continue to be competent on defense, and our offense doesn't put us in a huge whole to start the game (JG), we can definitely keep the game close, if not coming close to a possible upset near the end of the game.

But the biggest thing this will depend on is QB. We won't have a chance if JG is the guy. But if we have someone else behind the center, I feel that would do a lot for the excitement within the players on the field, and that they would play hard and rally around a new guy. But that energy will be nonexistent if it's JG they're playing with.

Put the past 2 weeks behind us. With a bit of perspective and the right moves by the coaches (I know, I know. Pruitt hasn't made the right move at QB as of yet), this can definitely be a game with upset potential.

If you remember last year's game, Tua got hurt in the first half and Mac Jones came in to play his first significant minutes in a game that mattered. I think that hindered Bama's offense somewhat. We played fairly well but as we all know, the improvised touchdown sneak took all wind out of our sails...Hopefully we play well tomorrow but hope JG is nowhere near the field as the starter at QB.

Even if the earth should shift and we somehow pull off an upset, that still doesn't mean that we are a good team. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time. Beating Bama would be sweet, but no victory is going to erase losing to Kentucky like we did or the general feeling that Tennessee is a long ways off from ever being relevant again. I know, I know...I'm a negavol. I do want to win, but I just don't see it happening. If Kentucky can beat Alabama in November, I will come back and eat a good portion of crow, but until then it's gonna take more than beating the Bummers to fix what ails me as a Vol fan.

Bro share the crack pipe stop hogging it

I'm going to watch every second tomorrow and hope that we win every down. Do I expect us to win every down? No. Do I expect us to win? No. However, I'm watching just the same as all you NegaVols... There's always HOPE! NegaVols live a negative life, because you have unrealistic expectations of everything around you. It is tiresome to always explain how next season is the one, but I'm hopeful.

Reactions: swampfoxfan

VN Store

Back