There was an exchange between Rob Lewis and Coach Pruitt after the Bama game that is interesting...

I get what he's saying in principle, but seriously, to a great degree, his own words betray him.
According to the OP, "They know who plays hard. They know who makes mistakes."

Well, does he not think that the players can see (as he said) the mistakes being made by the QB, and how they as a team cannot overcome the repeated mistakes of one player?!?!?!?!

I really do get what he's saying, and for the most part, I believe it's probably true.
But in this instance, he needs to step back and reevaluate.
Just my humble and ignorant opinion, seeing as I'm just a fan.

He said it wasn't about who's bigger or stronger, its about who practices the best, understands the game plan and can execute the best. Regardless of class. Wants started as a true freshman last year. Was there no upperclassmen on the OL. It's not making sense for some because you don't like the fact that JG still starts. What part of he gives us the best chance to win don't you understand? We all want to win and be a successful tip tier program and I know JG isn't the best. It's hard to believe no one has stepped up in practice enough to unseat him. It speaks to preparation, covid, and the overall understanding of the offense and where to go with the ball. I know JG isn't a gamer, but it doesn't look like the others practice very well to take the spot.

I don't believe him when he says that.

I did, but after seeing him make the same mistakes 3 years now ...
I did, but after seeing him implode against UGA in the 2nd half, and then walk right into Neyland, and pick up where he left off (at UGA) against UK ...
I did, but after seeing the whole team quit after JG led the team to 3 and out on the 1st drive of the 2nd half against UK ...

I don't believe JG gives us the best chance to win.
I don't believe 10% of the fanbase believes it either.

Lastly, I can't understand why Pruitt believes it.

Who knows, maybe against the (hopefully) weaker back half of the schedule, JG will look like a world beater.
That's what it'll take for me to believe and understand.

(by the way @MiramarVol ... no offense to you or anything ... )

For the most part, the upper classmen wide receivers are not athletic enough to create a lot of separation from DBs. Hyatt comes into the game and runs right past the Bama DB on at least 2 occasions. I'd rather make the offense simpler and let the young athletes play more......and this especially includes QB.

This philosophy is not the right approach IMO , if a player comes in as a freshman and is better all around than the people in front of him, yet he has to earn the right over people who have been there for four years it will be very difficult. I think it is also a little bit hypocritical because defensive players, Like Henry and a couple of others have played a lot as freshmen but that has not been the case as much with offense. HB could be better than JG right now but hasn’t earned the right to play due to the fact that JG has been here for what is it now,7 years?

Wasn't that one of the criticisms of Fulmer too? That he would play a senior over a soph regardless?
It's not fair to say that Pruitt will play the upperclassman regardless.. Henry T, Morris, Wright and I think Thompson and Taylor all started as freshmen. Pruitt has proven that he's willing to play the younger guys, but it sounds like he's not willing to play the younger guys who haven't earned it in practice.

I've got no problem with the approach in general, but it could drag out this rebuild longer than necessary. I say "in general" because I do have a problem with it with respect to the QB... because even though Maurer and Bailey may not have earned an opportunity to play during practice, JG hasn't earned the right to remain the starter during games... and our ho-hum offense with 70% checkdowns is killing our recruiting momentum.

This philosophy is not the right approach IMO , if a player comes in as a freshman and is better all around than the people in front of him, yet he has to earn the right over people who have been there for four years it will be very difficult. I think it is also a little bit hypocritical because defensive players, Like Henry and a couple of others have played a lot as freshmen but that has not been the case as much with offense. HB could be better than JG right now but hasn’t earned the right to play due to the fact that JG has been here for what is it now,7 years?
It's only hypocritical if we assume Henry T and others didn't "do the right stuff" during the week. Pruitt has not said he doesn't want to play young guys. Evidence shows that the opposite is true, BUT those young guys still have to earn the right to play. I think all Pruitt is saying is that being bigger, stronger, and faster isn't good enough to get on the field at Tennessee. You still have to play hard and eliminate mistakes.

Reactions: VolsSince78
I get what he's saying in principle, but seriously, to a great degree, his own words betray him.
According to the OP, "They know who plays hard. They know who makes mistakes."

Well, does he not think that the players can see (as he said) the mistakes being made by the QB, and how they as a team cannot overcome the repeated mistakes of one player?!?!?!?!

I really do get what he's saying, and for the most part, I believe it's probably true.
But in this instance, he needs to step back and reevaluate.
Just my humble and ignorant opinion, seeing as I'm just a fan.
This sums up where I'm at as well. I'm with him for the most part but how many games does JG have to lose before you eventually say "Player X isn't as prepared as I'd like him to be, but we're clearly not going anywhere with JG, so let's do everything we can to get Player X ready."

As a Pruitt supporter, this is the one thing that concerns me.

Dobbs was notoriously bad in practice, but when the lights came on he was the baller you wanted taking snaps. JG is obviously a beast in practice, but there’s a whole study on this I watched a few years back that takes a brain’s panic (fight or flight) sensors into play in high pressure situations. Pruitt is ignoring what goes on between the ears on game day and basing his lineup solely off efforts in practice.

For example: I am not a good golfer for the most part, it really depends on where I am mentally that day whether I have a good day on the course. But I can absolutely crush the ball on the range when it doesn’t matter. I can shape shots, hit high, hit low, etc. But put me on the course and I can make it look like I have no idea what I’m doing some days.

Pruitt is not accounting for this.
Dobbs was never "notoriously bad" in practice as a general rule. Maybe he was not great, but notoriously bad is a very inaccurate misrepresentation. Where do you get that stuff?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
No I’m pretty sure it’s true. I remember reading practice reports of him missing throws like crazy. How else do you explain the fact that it took Worley going down and Peterman getting benched before we put Dobbs on the field in 2014, only to discover he was by far our best option?

The same guy who gave Alvin Kamara about 284 touches in 2 seasons with the Vols while Jalen Hurd got 431 in 2015 and 2016?

Reactions: papatomany
I think this sheds some light on why many Tennessee fans are frustrated with Pruitt. Many of us (including myself) want to see younger guys plan more because we want to accelerate this rebuild. Rob has expressed on VQ's podcast that he thinks the younger guys should play more and asked Pruitt about it after the game. While I agree that they should be playing more, I thought Pruitt's answer made a lot of sense...

Rob: "Jeremy, as a coach is there ever a time where you may have a freshman or a sophomore who you know is more talented than the upperclassman who is playing, but he's not quite as ready, and you throw him out there to speed up his development, or is it all about the practice thing?"

Pruitt: "Well I don't believe in that. You have a purpose when you practice. I don't think that's the right way to build a program because the players know who's earned the right opportunity to play on Saturdays. They know that. There's no secrets in this game. They can see it. We watch film every day. They know who plays hard. They know who makes mistakes. And if you start (playing guys) just because he's bigger or stronger or faster or whatever and he's not done the right stuff through the week then I think you're sending the wrong message to the people within your program..."

The question was asked at around 14:27 if interested

I understand what he's going for. If you play people that half ass, then practices become half assed and the culture becomes lazy. Can't afford the less talented players to just get by on talent.

Slippery slope either way. If he let's them practice without them working as hard as the less talented players then they may never work hard in practice. On the other hand if they never give them an opportunity to play then they leave and you're left with scrubs.

My hope is that most of his holding back of players is because of Covid. No spring and limited summer. I mean we have seen him play young guys before. Just less this year.

They have also pretty much said we will see more young guys from here on out. Since the scrimmage where Bailey played all the snaps.

It looks like Maurer bought in and got rewarded. He moved from 4th to 2nd string against Bama. Pruitt complemented his practicing and his play on the field. Thats huge to me. Now BM shoulda got on the field way earlier, but that is the first thing that suggests a QB change may be happening very soon. If other young guys can follow BM's lead in earning their spot through practice I have to think we will see some major improvements.

In an ideal world what Pruitt said makes sense. However, when the hardest working players in practice and the games aren't producing the desired results change has to occur or you will keep getting less than desired results.

That was very true at Alabama where high talent level was more plentiful across all grades. I wish he would give the younger guys more opportunity to play meaningful snaps. His way is not yielding good results so far. Give the freshmen a chance.

Either side of the ball you play on its a complex game, it takes time to understand what your role is and even tho a freshman who comes in may be faster and stronger than his Junior counterpart it doesnt mean he is going to play better, if you dont know what your supposed to do in certain situations then your a liability. Sometimes its a no win situation, you have a knowledgeable player who cant win matchups or a kid who's a better athlete but doesnt know what he's doing yet. Experience usually wins out tho.

Reactions: rikberry31
Pruitt's answer does not make a lot of sense. Pruitt's answer tells me that the way in which he frames his approach to coaching is built upon an outdated mindset where we value seniority over ability and talent. when you look at the programs that are winning consistently, they have accelerated or abandoned this old fashioned notion, which I would maintain relies upon the old rules that A - students commit to a school, cannot transfer, and persist to graduation, and B - transfer students is a rarity and not dignified. You have to earn your playing time.

This framework for understanding coaching in the SEC will result in Pruitt circling back to DC job in a few years.

Nowhwre does hesay he values seniority over abilty and talent. What he does value over ability and talent is work ethic and dedication to improving oneself. in other words, he thinks if you are lazy during the week you dont deserve to play ahead of the guys who bust their ass daily and improve daily.

While i am far from a CJP supporter...he has it exactly right here.

Im not at practice but if CJP is demanding that guys bust their asses every day or ride the pine...he may have what it takes to turn this thing around even though at this point there is little indication he is going to.

Reactions: 1allvol
Dobbs was never "notoriously bad" in practice as a general rule. Maybe he was not great, but notoriously bad is a very inaccurate misrepresentation. Where do you get that stuff?

That’s fair. I shouldn’t have used that term, but he looked nothing in practice like he did on the field. I’m basing that off memory of practice reports and watching him in open practices, as well as the fact that it was just kind of general knowledge

Nowhwre does hesay he values seniority over abilty and talent. What he does value over ability and talent is work ethic and dedication to improving oneself. in other words, he thinks if you are lazy during the week you dont deserve to play ahead of the guys who bust their ass daily and improve daily.

While i am far from a CJP supporter...he has it exactly right here.

Im not at practice but if CJP is demanding that guys bust their asses every day or ride the pine...he may have what it takes to turn this thing around even though at this point there is little indication he is going to.
Could be why JJ Peterson didn't see much PT. I'm not going to pretend like I know he had a poor work ethic, but when you come in out of shape and have a tough time making good enough grades to get into school... it leaves the perception that work ethic is an issue.

This only works if every practice is full contact and full speed. If the defense cant hit JG during practice then of course he will look better and not fumble but when game day comes and he has guys that wanna pound him in the dirt he chokes. I realize you want to protect your QB in practice but with JG I think it does him more harm then good. He is a tough guy and if he starts getting hit in practice everyday he will learn real quick to feel the pocket and get the ball out quicker.

He said it wasn't about who's bigger or stronger, its about who practices the best, understands the game plan and can execute the best. Regardless of class. Wants started as a true freshman last year. Was there no upperclassmen on the OL. It's not making sense for some because you don't like the fact that JG still starts. What part of he gives us the best chance to win don't you understand? We all want to win and be a successful tip tier program and I know JG isn't the best. It's hard to believe no one has stepped up in practice enough to unseat him. It speaks to preparation, covid, and the overall understanding of the offense and where to go with the ball. I know JG isn't a gamer, but it doesn't look like the others practice very well to take the spot.

This statement is a meaningless statement when given the context and it's also not what he said. what he said was "he gives us the best chance at success". He specifically DID NOT say "win". He said "success" because he doesn't want people equating JG with winning. Success means overall success of the program, (i.e. not winning this year but maybe winning down the line)

You also have to consider the context of the situation. "He gives us the best chance to win". OK, what are our chances of winning? ZERO. So if the chances of winning are zero then technically him giving us the "best chance to win" is a misleading statement and Pruitt knows that, he's not dumb.

Pruitt strikes me as the type of guy who got upset by people skipping grades because they were smarter than him.

Begs the question why is this the best UT has at QB.
Don't fault JG for anything...he is what he is...buck stops with the coach making millions

In theory, I dont disagree with what he is saying.

Here is where I would differ. Or question that being put to practice.

Last year, JG put up some stats against GSU but in reality he didn't play well. Against BYU we were in control of the game until he started putting the ball in harms way and Chaney pulled the reins back even more making us completely one dimensional. After game 4 (UF) and a 1-3 start (including losses to GSU and BYU) Maurer is all of a sudden ready to start against one of the best defenses in the country.

Obviously, JG didnt get pulled at UF, and didn't start vs UGA, MSU, and Bama because he all of a sudden wasn't practicing well enough to hold the job and Maurer all of a sudden was. It had a lot more to do with what he was and wasn't doing on Saturday. Had Maurer stayed healthy and played a little less erratic when he got the chance he would more than likely still be the starter.
FFW to this year, JG gets pulled against UK after 2 pick 6's, Shrout enters the game and immediately throws a pick. If he leads UT down the field to a score does anybody think JG comes back in?

What he says is the way you would like to hope it happens. "A perfect world". Player A out works player B in practice, earns the job and plays exactly the way practices, and reinforces to not only the staff but the players that the right guy is definitely on the field.

VN Store

Back