There was an exchange between Rob Lewis and Coach Pruitt after the Bama game that is interesting...

bpalmer28

I think this sheds some light on why many Tennessee fans are frustrated with Pruitt. Many of us (including myself) want to see younger guys play more because we want to accelerate this rebuild. Rob has expressed on VQ's podcast that he thinks the younger guys should play more and asked Pruitt about it after the game. While I agree that they should be playing more, I thought Pruitt's answer made a lot of sense...

Rob: "Jeremy, as a coach is there ever a time where you may have a freshman or a sophomore who you know is more talented than the upperclassman who is playing, but he's not quite as ready, and you throw him out there to speed up his development, or is it all about the practice thing?"

Pruitt: "Well I don't believe in that. You have a purpose when you practice. I don't think that's the right way to build a program because the players know who's earned the right opportunity to play on Saturdays. They know that. There's no secrets in this game. They can see it. We watch film every day. They know who plays hard. They know who makes mistakes. And if you start (playing guys) just because he's bigger or stronger or faster or whatever and he's not done the right stuff through the week then I think you're sending the wrong message to the people within your program..."

The question was asked at around 14:27 if interested

Last edited by a moderator:
Pruitt's answer does not make a lot of sense. Pruitt's answer tells me that the way in which he frames his approach to coaching is built upon an outdated mindset where we value seniority over ability and talent. when you look at the programs that are winning consistently, they have accelerated or abandoned this old fashioned notion, which I would maintain relies upon the old rules that A - students commit to a school, cannot transfer, and persist to graduation, and B - transfer students is a rarity and not dignified. You have to earn your playing time.

This framework for understanding coaching in the SEC will result in Pruitt circling back to DC job in a few years.

Pruitt's answer does not make a lot of sense. Pruitt's answer tells me that the way in which he frames his approach to coaching is built upon an outdated mindset where we value seniority over ability and talent. when you look at the programs that are winning consistently, they have accelerated or abandoned this old fashioned notion, which I would maintain relies upon the old rules that A - students commit to a school, cannot transfer, and persist to graduation, and B - transfer students is a rarity and not dignified. You have to earn your playing time.

This framework for understanding coaching in the SEC will result in Pruitt circling back to DC job in a few years.
This is 100% spot on...this is not a union in 1950s....if a kid can play he should play..Practices run at 75% not 100%..
Against Bama when BM scrambled and dumped it off to the smalls was big IMO...last season he forces a throw into coverage

If he would instill more discipline throughout this team, maybe more kids would "do the right things in practice"

Not saying I am buying his coach speak but we lack lots of discipline regardless.

I think Fulmer got that rep because in '97 he started Mark Levine (I think) at RB over Jamaal Lewis because Lewis didn't know the blocking schemes at the beginning of the season. I can't blame him for not wanting to get Manning injured.

He said it wasn't about who's bigger or stronger, its about who practices the best, understands the game plan and can execute the best. Regardless of class. Wants started as a true freshman last year. Was there no upperclassmen on the OL. It's not making sense for some because you don't like the fact that JG still starts. What part of he gives us the best chance to win don't you understand? We all want to win and be a successful tip tier program and I know JG isn't the best. It's hard to believe no one has stepped up in practice enough to unseat him. It speaks to preparation, covid, and the overall understanding of the offense and where to go with the ball. I know JG isn't a gamer, but it doesn't look like the others practice very well to take the spot.

As a Pruitt supporter, this is the one thing that concerns me.

Dobbs was notoriously bad in practice, but when the lights came on he was the baller you wanted taking snaps. JG is obviously a beast in practice, but there’s a whole study on this I watched a few years back that takes a brain’s panic (fight or flight) sensors into play in high pressure situations. Pruitt is ignoring what goes on between the ears on game day and basing his lineup solely off efforts in practice.

For example: I am not a good golfer for the most part, it really depends on where I am mentally that day whether I have a good day on the course. But I can absolutely crush the ball on the range when it doesn’t matter. I can shape shots, hit high, hit low, etc. But put me on the course and I can make it look like I have no idea what I’m doing some days.

Pruitt is not accounting for this.

Pruitt’s answer is why we will always suck under his reign. If I recall correctly Josh Dobb’s and Tyler Bray weren’t exactly known for their great practices but they played well when the lights came on. So apparently, Josh Dobbs would sit behind JG.

JG supposedly practices well but my eyes tell me he sucks in games. Pruitt is an idiot. I’m not really interested in most anything he says until JG is gone or riding the pine. Next coach please.

This statement aligns 100% with what I talked about a few weeks ago with respect to managing the locker room. Pruitt is trying to manage the locker room in all ways including QB. As CJP says there is no hiding in this game. I agree again 100%. There is something to the idea the effort you put in should be rewarded. The counter point is when everyone sees the production is not there even with the effort. This is JG to a tee. The locker room and fans for that matter see it. You have to weight the ability to produce in conjunction with the work ethic. If you don't play you will not get better. Saying you have to practice perfectly (effort) is a problem. You address people short comings one at a time. Anyway I am rambling now. Too much faulty thinking in only considering practice.

I think Fulmer got that rep because in '97 he started Mark Levine (I think) at RB over Jamaal Lewis because Lewis didn't know the blocking schemes at the beginning of the season. I can't blame him for not wanting to get Manning injured.
That was Cut’s call. Protection responsibilities and lack of TE involvement in the passing scheme were his big hangups back in the day...it got better.

As a Pruitt supporter, this is the one thing that concerns me.

Dobbs was notoriously bad in practice, but when the lights came on he was the baller you wanted taking snaps. JG is obviously a beast in practice, but there’s a whole study on this I watched a few years back that takes a brain’s panic (fight or flight) sensors into play in high pressure situations. Pruitt is ignoring what goes on between the ears on game day and basing his lineup solely off efforts in practice.

For example: I am not a good golfer for the most part, it really depends on where I am mentally that day whether I have a good day on the course. But I can absolutely crush the ball on the range when it doesn’t matter. I can shape shots, hit high, hit low, etc. But put me on the course and I can make it look like I have no idea what I’m doing some days.

Pruitt is not accounting for this.
I think the Dobbs practice thing is Vols fan fiction.

So Pruett is basically say it would send the wrong message to the team to play Bailey at quarterback because JG has been here for five years working hard. That’s his perspective. Here’s the other thing that sends a terrible message to the team… Playing a very bad player at the most important position. The entire team suffers. Clemson’s players seem to get over it when Kelly Bryant was replace with Trevor Lawrence. Bama’s players seemed to get over it when they named Jalen hurts starter as a true freshman and again...those Bama players hung in there when hurts was replaced by Tua. Either Bama has the most emotionally resilient group of players ever or Pruett is wrong. One or the other. Lol

I think the Dobbs practice thing is Vols fan fiction.

No I’m pretty sure it’s true. I remember reading practice reports of him missing throws like crazy. How else do you explain the fact that it took Worley going down and Peterman getting benched before we put Dobbs on the field in 2014, only to discover he was by far our best option?

No I’m pretty sure it’s true. I remember reading practice reports of him missing throws like crazy. How else do you explain the fact that it took Worley going down and Peterman getting benched before we put Dobbs on the field in 2014, only to discover he was by far our best option?
They already knew he was better than Peterman and I suspect Worley but tried to steal some games to allow for a redshirt. Sure he missed some throws...so did Worley. When he grabbed the starters role and never looked back, we stopped hearing about missed throws in practice. He always practiced better than Dormady and Sheriron Jones.

Reactions: feathersax
Wasn't that one of the criticisms of Fulmer too? That he would play a senior over a soph regardless?

Yes - it "seemed" like he played players because he made promises to mom and dad, not because he wanted a competitive team. He was def. stuck in the old formula for coaching.

How many players have transferred out of TN over the past 10 years and have went on to succeed elsewhere? the list seems long.

VN Store

Back