The worst program choke ever

Hey Vols-player haters! Hey whiners. Season start, given the obvious deficiencies of the team, no one expected the quality of the season we've had. We've had it anyway. Maybe instead of acting like a plague of rabid rats turning on their own, appreciate we didn't have a final year Lyle Allen, or second year onward Pruitt season. And, at least USCe wasn't Georgia State.

I’m sure it has been mentioned but 2001 SEC Championship game is the worst loss when taking into account the magnitude if we would have won. We win out this year still no guarantee we make the playoffs. END THREAD.
I don’t lol it when you agree with me.
Please stop

When I make myself look at the bigger Picture.....I should think of family, friends teammates I've lost over the years and how close I've come to packing it in and I suddenly feel stupid for getting so worked up over a f****** game.

I agree with everything that’s being said and felt here.

But I do have to remind myself (publicly now haha) that I never ever ever would have predicted we’d be 9-2 with a beatdown of LSU in Death Vallley and a win over Alabama.

Nonetheless I literally almost vomited a few times last night.

I finally figured out something about you Nega-VOLS. you all are GAMBLERS. You spend every weekend betting on football now that it's legal in Tennessee to do online. You bet a lot of money on what should be a sure thing, then when it isn't you're ready to fire all the coaches,burn down Neyland Stadium, never have football again. Hey it's Coach Heupel's second year and nobody expected this season to be this good. Two years in and you expect him to win a NC. Saban didn't do that. Rattler had not played like that in any game this season so far. Sure the VOL secondary was very bad but we are missing quite a few players from that unit, most are freshmen and sophomores. So yea lets go beat Vandy and hopefully a New Years Day six
So you expected our Defense to give up 63 points to USCjr last night?

Reactions: lifeisdeep
This is it for me, worse than lsu in the sec championship. This South Carolina team is fu***** garbage, and we got embarrassed by them with a playoff spot on the line. Hurts bad
At 7-4 I wouldn't say they are hot garbage. They have big receivers and good dbacks...and a qb who has underachieved till now. They looked like a better team than us. If they play like that they can beat anybody. That being said...our defense got exposed for the frauds they are. Terrible coaching. 10 yards off the line? Giving up 3rd and 20? Horrible. Inexcusable. Heupel should take the heat. If we can beat Vandy...10-2 is still a great record for year 2 in his regime. We'll learn from this and be better next year. I believe that.

By far.

Such an impressive team all season and in the end they’ll be remembered as choke artist.

I hate it for them but that’s what happens when you lose like that.

Reactions: GulfCoasterVol
between this team and the 2001 choke of LSU to go to the BCS rose bowl
This one reminds me more of the 1969 “Archie-Who” Ole Miss game. UT was highly ranked (#2, I think...) and was expected to beat Ole Miss fairly easily (Ole Miss was 6-3 at that point). Believe it or not the game was not televised where I lived. I got to watch two Big Ten bottom dwellers instead. Anyway....UT lost big (38-0) and UT never recovered that season.

I don’t understand how this could be worse than 2001 LSU.

This team had no business being 9-1 going into the SC game. This team had no business being No 1 in the first playoff poll. This team had no business being in the playoff discussion this late in the season. And, winning the last two games was not a guarantee to make the playoffs. What this team has done is amazing.

The 2001 team was arguably the greatest team in UT history and had to simply beat a much inferior team to play for the National championship.

/\
This.

1968 Orange Bowl vs Oklahoma

1969 Cotton Bowl vs Texas

1994, 1995, 1996 vs Florida

1996 vs Tiger High

1998 Orange Bowl vs Nebraska

2000 Orange Bowl vs Nebraska

2019 vs Georgia State

... and those are just the ones I can think of off the bat.

Need I go on?

Oh, yes, there have been worse - and I watched them all.
None of those losses remotely compares to last night. How many of those games were we favored by 21 in? How many of those games saw us with a high probability of securing a playoff spot if we won? Zero and zero.

Probably already stated.

If you think this "choke" to a conference foe was worse than losing to Tiger High in 1996...you have a single digit football IQ.

You all are why everyone hates Tennessee fans.
See if you can follow here: losing to Memphis didn't shut us out of contention for a national title. Pretty basic.

Reactions: Tenacjim
I don’t understand how this could be worse than 2001 LSU.

This team had no business being 9-1 going into the SC game. This team had no business being No 1 in the first playoff poll. This team had no business being in the playoff discussion this late in the season. And, winning the last two games was not a guarantee to make the playoffs. What this team has done is amazing.

The 2001 team was arguably the greatest team in UT history and had to simply beat a much inferior team to play for the National championship.

Yep that simple. The 2001 team was so good and choked.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
I finally figured out something about you Nega-VOLS. you all are GAMBLERS. You spend every weekend betting on football now that it's legal in Tennessee to do online. You bet a lot of money on what should be a sure thing, then when it isn't you're ready to fire all the coaches,burn down Neyland Stadium, never have football again. Hey it's Coach Heupel's second year and nobody expected this season to be this good. Two years in and you expect him to win a NC. Saban didn't do that. Rattler had not played like that in any game this season so far. Sure the VOL secondary was very bad but we are missing quite a few players from that unit, most are freshmen and sophomores. So yea lets go beat Vandy and hopefully a New Years Day six
Not the greatest trope for your argument to mention Saban's second year: he lost one game that year; he did not get blown out by an unranked team; and he won the NC the following year. So basically, he delivered and Heupel did not.

See if you can follow here: losing to Memphis didn't shut us out of contention for a national title. Pretty basic.

See if you can follow here.

Losing to Memphis knocked Tennessee out of a Bowl Alliance Bowl and had us in the Citrus Bowl yet again.

It was the catalyst for the Steve Spurrier dig "you can't spell Citrus without UT"

If you can't see that losing to a mid major out of conference school (who ended the season with a losing record...4-7)when you were ranked number 6 as significantly worse than losing to a conference team who will play in a decent bowl game....then my earlier comment stands.....single digit football IQ

Reactions: feathersax
Further more...This loss didn't remove Tennessee from the Playoffs... Tennessee wasn't IN the playoffs.

There was a lot of conjecture and a lot of things that needed to happen for us to end up with a shot to go there.

What it more realistically cost us was a chance to play in the sugar bowl.

We will end up in Dallas, Jacksonville or Tampa now.

All of which are better than where we were last year for the holidays.....and better than anyone expected in August.

See if you can follow here.

Losing to Memphis knocked Tennessee out of a Bowl Alliance Bowl and had us in the Citrus Bowl yet again.

It was the catalyst for the Steve Spurrier dig "you can't spell Citrus without UT"

If you can't see that losing to a mid major out of conference school (who ended the season with a losing record...4-7)when you were ranked number 6 as significantly worse than losing to a conference team who will play in a decent bowl game....then my earlier comment stands.....single digit football IQ
Knocked us out of a Bowl Alliance Bowl vs. the Playoff (yes I know we weren’t guaranteed a spot. Now we are guaranteed NOT to be in)and SS made a joke? And lifeisdeep has the single digit football IQ?

VN Store

Back