The worst program choke ever

I am shaking my damn head at some of y'all.

Losing is always a drag but it's been a season like NONE OF YOU expected. Grow up.

/\
This.

1968 Orange Bowl vs Oklahoma

1969 Cotton Bowl vs Texas

1994, 1995, 1996 vs Florida

1996 vs Tiger High

1998 Orange Bowl vs Nebraska

2000 Orange Bowl vs Nebraska

2019 vs Georgia State

... and those are just the ones I can think of off the bat.

Need I go on?

Oh, yes, there have been worse - and I watched them all.

/\
This.

1968 Orange Bowl vs Oklahoma

1969 Cotton Bowl vs Texas

1994, 1995, 1996 vs Florida

1996 vs Tiger High

1998 Orange Bowl vs Nebraska

2000 Orange Bowl vs Nebraska

2019 vs Georgia State

... and those are just the ones I can think of off the bat.

Need I go on?

Oh, yes, there have been worse - and I watched them all.
2001 LSWho!!!!!

Probably already stated.

If you think this "choke" to a conference foe was worse than losing to Tiger High in 1996...you have a single digit football IQ.

You all are why everyone hates Tennessee fans.

Reactions: VOLveeta
Easily top 5, with what was on the line and how bad we played and got beat down by 25 pts.

2001 LSU SEC championship games comes to mind.
Memphis lost with Peyton.
Georgia St lose was a bad one.
I’m sure I missed a few more, tend to block those out.
The Georgia game (early 2000’s) we lost at home after getting ahead, all bulldogs did was pass to the TE five times to March down and win the game.
I remember them all as I have the scars and bruises to prove it, but that crap last night seems to have been worse. Maybe it’s just that we have be so irrelevant for so many years and we mistakenly got our hopes up just to watch Rome burn. Although still can be a good season and above expectations, it still sucks and could get worse if we don’t man up and play better against Vandy. If we don’t, and lose then all season will be looked at differently in my eyes.

I remember 1969 when the Vols were ranked No. 3, and went down to play Ole Miss in Oxford. They had beaten the Rebels 30-0 the year before and they looked invincible. They had made some unflattering remarks about Ole Miss and it came back to bite them. The Rebs had a quarterback named Archie Manning of whom you may have heard. The Vols got their butts handed to them 38-0. After that, the team seemed snakebit. It struggled to get past Vandy and lost to a crummy Florida team in a bowl game. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a re-run of that damnable season.

Reactions: Volfan1000
2002 florida, and Georgia State comes to mind. 2002 florida was so bad it was almost wiped from the internet. This was a trap game that came at the wrong time. If you had handled business against georgia, this game would almost be forgiven.

I’m sure it has been mentioned but 2001 SEC Championship game is the worst loss when taking into account the magnitude if we would have won. We win out this year still no guarantee we make the playoffs. END THREAD.

Being SO CLOSE after 24 years is what hurts so much.

We have GOT TO stack this defense with talent and then HOPE we have the staff to COACH THEM UP.

We all love to score FIDDY every game but honestly, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Just the way I see it........

I am ashamed right now. This will make you puking freaking sick
I finally figured out something about you Nega-VOLS. you all are GAMBLERS. You spend every weekend betting on football now that it's legal in Tennessee to do online. You bet a lot of money on what should be a sure thing, then when it isn't you're ready to fire all the coaches,burn down Neyland Stadium, never have football again. Hey it's Coach Heupel's second year and nobody expected this season to be this good. Two years in and you expect him to win a NC. Saban didn't do that. Rattler had not played like that in any game this season so far. Sure the VOL secondary was very bad but we are missing quite a few players from that unit, most are freshmen and sophomores. So yea lets go beat Vandy and hopefully a New Years Day six

I finally figured out something about you Nega-VOLS. you all are GAMBLERS. You spend every weekend betting on football now that it's legal in Tennessee to do online. You bet a lot of money on what should be a sure thing, then when it isn't you're ready to fire all the coaches,burn down Neyland Stadium, never have football again. Hey it's Coach Heupel's second year and nobody expected this season to be this good. Two years in and you expect him to win a NC. Saban didn't do that. Rattler had not played like that in any game this season so far. Sure the VOL secondary was very bad but we are missing quite a few players from that unit, most are freshmen and sophomores. So yea lets go beat Vandy and hopefully a New Years Day six
They just lost to an unranked SC team whose QB had more picks than Tds before playing us. This loss is 100% on Heupel. What's worse is SC scored 63 points which is the most against a top 10 team in a 100 years. There is no silver lining, Heupel should be embarrassed and not make the mistake of losing to Vandy who will be mad as hell about all the Checkerboard Vandy talk...if he loses that game, what will your disclaimer be then?

Reactions: lifeisdeep
Not even close....the 96 Memphis game and the 97 Bowl game against Nebraska are up there though...this team over achieved all year. Damn good year too! We were 3-7 two years ago! Nobody saw this year playing out the way it did... NOBODY
and our favorite son PEYTON MANNING was driving in those two EMBARESSMENTS

I agree. All I’m trying to say is every time we seem to be on the brinks of doing something special, whether it be football, baseball, or basketball, we seem lay an egg. Just the way it is
BEATING ALABAMA, FLORIDA, LSU,and PITT all in the same season is not special

There's something weird about playing at SC though. This is the the 3rd time in the SEC Championship era we've gone to SC against an inferior team with something big on the line and we've left with a L.

1992 - We had already beaten Florida, but got upset by Arkansas and lost by a TD to the eventual national champs Bama. We go to SC who started 0-5 and had won 2 in a row and we lose 24-23 and lose the SEC East to Florida for the first ever SEC Championship Game.

2016 - Again already had beaten Florida and Georgia, but lost to TAMU and Alabama and go to 3-4 SC and lay an egg which gives the SEC East edge to Florida, who eventually wins out their SEC games and even though we also lost to Vandy later the SC alone would have kept us out of the SEC Championship Game.

And now 2022, were an embarrassing loss knocks us out of the CFP.

VN Store

Back