The WINE (alcohol) thread

The Grinders Switch Winery in Centerville isn't bad. I like to get wine drunk for a change of pace and they do the trick.

I drink red wine every single day. I reach for a Malbec, with alternatives being a Pinot Noir, a Chianti, Shiraz (Syrah), a Zin (red, as it should be), or a Cab/Merlot. Also like the Italian reds, Valpolicella and Bardolino.

My go-to table wine Malbec brand is Frontera (Concha y Toro) from Argentina and I can get a 1.5 L for about 10 bucks, sometimes less. If you should want affordable French, La Vielle Ferme aint bad at all.

If I want to move up, I like the California brand, Chateau St. Jean -- everything they put out is well done, their "Reserve" grade is even better, and better still, their spin-off line, Cinq Cepages.

Lastly, for a white, I like the Greek RETSINA. It has a taste of pine resin about it, so it's not for everybody, but I love it.

My understanding is that the hearty Malbec and Pinot Noir are highest in the phenols and bioflavenoids that make red wine so heart-healthy.

Concha y Toro is my favorite major label. To me though, the Frontera label is nearly undrinkable. The Marques de Casa label is the best overall label I've ever found.

Marques de Casa Carmene is a ridiculously good red for under $20.

Anybody like Muscadine?

I had a bottle of Stonehaus...not bad.

Kinda like Moscato but with a little my grape taste too it, I think.

I am in the land of Muscadine grapes, so many wineries around here have those wines. They can be pretty good.

Update for a couple more we tried. Greg Norman's Pinot Noir is pretty good, though you can do just as good or better with Turning Leaf and get twice as much wine at less cost. 14 Hands Hot To Trot red blend is good.

Reactions: 1 person
I'll have to try that Turning Leaf pinot noir, then.

Ron Swanson in the RF turned me on to it. He went to a blind wine test with expensive to lower cost and Turning Leaf won. Has a great aroma and taste for a low cost PN. I just paid a $11.98 for a 1.5 bottle in south Knox. Probably a recently produced version. The 2010 was what we initially tried.

Decided to try a couple of Italian dessert red wines. Finishing a bottle of Rosatello Rosso, a $13-14 sweet red. Very nice - would be a ladies' favorite with dessert. Next up is Roscato's Rosa Dolce at $12.

Will head back to a blend after that. Believe it or not I bought the recently introduced Duck Commander red blend. Uncle Si would be pleased. Hey.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We're enjoying 2008 Parducci True Grit Petite Sirah this evening. Nice little every day wine at a good price.

I remember being just out of high school, drinking grape malt duck and thinking this must be pretty much what wine is like.

VN Store

Back