The Unofficial 2014 French Open Thread

I was playing collegiate tennis when Rios came on the scene but surprisingly did not keep up with pro tennis at all outside of Agassi and Sampras then . So, I don't remember much about Rios.

I did have a friend that went to Bollettieri Academy when Rios was there. Favorite story was seeing Rios eating in cafeteria by himself everyday. One day, friend (female) decides to sit next to Rios and start up conversation. Rios never acknowledged her presence, got up and left without saying a word. Awesome.

Monfils is definitely full of raw talent and athleticism. It's always striking to me how effortless he makes it look when he is playing all out. Of course, a lot of the time he shows no effort. He needs to get it together.

You'll never hear anybody argue that Rios was anything other than a huge ace hole. But man he was natural.

Chang v Rios - US Open 1997 QF - YouTube

Quick derail...anyone play here in Knoxville I'm the usta leagues?

Not close enough to Knoxville to play league either. I do however play tennis against a couple fat old men that wear New Balance walking shoes on court most Tuesdays.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Rafa or Djoker?

Honestly, I think Djoker finally gets the best of him at Roland Garros, but I'll be pulling for Nadal.

Depends on the weather. If the conditions are damp and heavy, the odds swing heavily in Djoker's favor. Hot and dry, it'll take a Herculean effort from Djoker to win.

Make no mistake, Nadal is ready to die before he loses this match. Djoker thinks this is his time. Something's gotta give.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Well, he did it again. Nine championships at Roland Garros. That's amazing!

Djokovic looked like he was quite sick, however. Unfortunate for him, but Nadal has lost possibly two titles (that I can think of) at least due to injury. If I'm not mistaken, he was limping through the French the one year Soderling beat him, and in this year's Aussie I think the sore on his racket hand and his ailing back finally caught up with him. Wawrinka is good, but I don't think he's that good. You don't just win every set against someone in your head-to-head history and then play that miserably unless you're battling an injury.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back