The Unofficial 2014 French Open Thread

I wouldn't be surprised if Gulby wins.
Jack Sock has a winnable match
I don't like Young's chances against GGL.

I also like Gulbis' chances. Just wish he was mentally tougher. He's a ticking time bomb every match. If he could control himself mentally, he'd be a force on tour.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Bo03USrCcAA4FYZ.jpg

I'll take Nadal, Ferrer, Garcia-Lopez, Berdych, Lopez, Fed, Raonic and Djokovich.

On the women's side Muguruza, Sharapova, Navarro, Bouchard, Safarova, Stephens, Errani and Petkovic.

Ok, all of those will probably lose, but those are my picks and I'm sticking to them..:)

Federer out but didn't deserve to win with as poorly as he played. I lost count but I think he was broken at least 6 times. One break was Fed serving for second set with two set points. Gulbis played solid and (mostly) kept his head about him. I hope Gulbis can make some noise going forward. He is one helluva quirky guy. I always watch when he is playing.

Djoker looking very solid v. The dirty frenchman.

Nadal's back acting up?

I can't wait for the expected final Djoker v. Nadal.

Federer out but didn't deserve to win with as poorly as he played. I lost count but I think he was broken at least 6 times. One break was Fed serving for second set with two set points. Gulbis played solid and (mostly) kept his head about him. I hope Gulbis can make some noise going forward. He is one helluva quirky guy. I always watch when he is playing.

Djoker looking very solid v. The dirty frenchman.

Nadal's back acting up?

I can't wait for the expected final Djoker v. Nadal.

Djoker is winning this tournament.

I have money on:
Rafa to make final at -281
Rafa or Djoker to win tourney at -431

Feels like stealing.

Also, I'm pretty much sodomizing this tourney. I'm on fire right now.

Rafael Nadal v. Lajovic: Next question.*
David Ferrer v. Kevin Anderson: Next question.

Rafael Nadal v. David Ferrer: Rafael Nadal

GGL v. Gael Monfils: I lean GGL here, but I can't completely count out Monfils.

Murray v. Verdasco: I lean Murray, but that's more of a vote against Verdasco. Either way, I think Murray will make it through, and will likely beat the winner of GGL and Monfils.

Rafa will beat Murray.

Berdych v. Gulbis: I can't wait for this one. I think Berdy is the pick, but I'm rooting for Gulby.

Novak Djokovic v. Milos Raonic: Djoker. Next question.

Djoker will beat the winner of Berdy/Gulbis in four sets.

The final everyone expects will likely happen.

drew-rosenhaus-next-question.jpg

If somehow Monfils could get past Murray and meet Nadal in the semi, we might see one of the most hostile crowds in the history of tennis. Somehow I had missed the matchup as a possibility.

If somehow Monfils could get past Murray and meet Nadal in the semi, we might see one of the most hostile crowds in the history of tennis. Somehow I had missed the matchup as a possibility.

But how long can they sustain hostility? Monfils has never fared well against Nadal.

I'm rooting for Monfils to beat Murray, but I doubt it's going to happen.

But how long can they sustain hostility? Monfils has never fared well against Nadal.

I'm rooting for Monfils to beat Murray, but I doubt it's going to happen.

True, but they've never played a semi at the FO. It's not likely to happen, but it'd be worth it just to see Monfils play it up to the crowd until the reality of Rafa set in.

Speaking of which, I had to turn off Rafa's match yesterday. It was too brutal for live tv. Poor guy opponent should've faked an injury and been carted off court.

Anyone give Ferrer a set tomorrow? I think like all his matches v. Nadal, the first set is key for Ferrer.

Two weird matches today. With DF taking the first, I thought it was gonna be a match. Then Rafa showed up and mowed him down like maybe never before.

What happened to Monfils? In the 3rd and 4th he was almost toying around with Murray. Effortless. Then he was completely done.

I'd give Murray the first set just because Nadal started out so tentative against Ferrer. Nadal has shown that tendency a lot lately. I expect Murray to run out of gas about the time RN steps on the gas. Rafa in 4.

Lot to like with Halep. She is such a fundamentally solid player. I am pulling for her.

I'm pulling for Halep as well.

I'm thinking Murray might not have anything left in the tank. Granted, the match against Monfils was shorter than your typical five set match, but he's played a four setter and two five setters, and the first of the five setters was essentially six sets. And Rafa is fresh. I'm going with Rafa in 3.

I think Gulby gets a set off of Djokovic, but I'm not willing to go any further than that. Djokovic is just so good right now. Bet against him at your own risk. I already have a future bet that either Rafa or Djoke will win the FO, so I'm not sure I'm going to take Djokovic in the Gulby match. I may just lay off that one, or put a small amount on the over 3.5 sets.

I'm on fire this French Open. 3-0 today with Murray, Rafa, and Halep.

Will likely go in for a small amount on Sugarpova against Bouchard, and of course I'm staying on the Simona Halep train.

And, honestly, why can't Gael Monfils hire a top coach and fitness person? He's 27, so he's got a few years of absurd athleticism in him. Get him in top notch shape, and hook him up with a coach that teaches him to play aggressively. I'm a huge fan of Gael, and I'm in awe of how good he is. His groundstrokes are perfect on both wings. I don't know that anybody on tour other than Djokovic hits a cleaner ball than Gael, and he's ridiculously fast and athletic.

But it's like he has no idea what he's doing when he gets out on the court. I don't think he's ever had anything even loosely resembling a game plan. He basically plays centerfield and just reacts to whatever his opponent does. He needs to enlist the services of somebody like Andre Agassi. Get Gael Monfils planted a foot inside the baseline, and get him to learn how to construct points, and run his opponent around the court on his own terms, instead of getting pulled around from side to side like he's on a string.

The only other player that can compete with Monfils in the category of biggest underachievers is Marat Safin. And maybe Marcelo Rios, but mostly Rios' career was derailed by a body that broke down at a very young age. He's a small guy, and so perhaps his body wasn't meant for the constant grind. But on the other hand, maybe if he'd done some work in the gym he could have built his body up to better withstand the grind. Rios career bothers me. His game is the effortless, natural, and fluid of any player ever. And that includes Johnny Mac and Fed. Rios could do anything he wanted with a tennis ball at any spot on the court from either wing. The only other player in history who could hit angles like him is Monica Seles.

Those are biggest underachievers. It's a done deal for two of them, but one can still do something about it.

I expect Rafa to destroy Murray.

I expect him to win, but not destroy him. Depends on court conditions and Murray's/Nadal's health. Both players have back issues. Murray appears to have had cramping issues.

Per usual, I'll say Rafa starts out slow and maybe loses set 1 or 2. Then Rafa kicks in gear and puts Murray out of his misery. I'll say 4-6, 7-6, 7-5, 6-3 Rafa.

It's a shame that Gulbis' effort will likely be for naught. He is playing better than he's ever played at a slam, but Djokovic shouldn't lose this match. The only caveat is that sometimes there is that one player that is zoning out so much that he is a danger to anyone in the draw. That is Gulbis right now.

However, with so much on the line, I will say Djokovic 6-4, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3.

And, honestly, why can't Gael Monfils hire a top coach and fitness person? He's 27, so he's got a few years of absurd athleticism in him. Get him in top notch shape, and hook him up with a coach that teaches him to play aggressively. I'm a huge fan of Gael, and I'm in awe of how good he is. His groundstrokes are perfect on both wings. I don't know that anybody on tour other than Djokovic hits a cleaner ball than Gael, and he's ridiculously fast and athletic.

But it's like he has no idea what he's doing when he gets out on the court. I don't think he's ever had anything even loosely resembling a game plan. He basically plays centerfield and just reacts to whatever his opponent does. He needs to enlist the services of somebody like Andre Agassi. Get Gael Monfils planted a foot inside the baseline, and get him to learn how to construct points, and run his opponent around the court on his own terms, instead of getting pulled around from side to side like he's on a string.

The only other player that can compete with Monfils in the category of biggest underachievers is Marat Safin. And maybe Marcelo Rios, but mostly Rios' career was derailed by a body that broke down at a very young age. He's a small guy, and so perhaps his body wasn't meant for the constant grind. But on the other hand, maybe if he'd done some work in the gym he could have built his body up to better withstand the grind. Rios career bothers me. His game is the effortless, natural, and fluid of any player ever. And that includes Johnny Mac and Fed. Rios could do anything he wanted with a tennis ball at any spot on the court from either wing. The only other player in history who could hit angles like him is Monica Seles.

Those are biggest underachievers. It's a done deal for two of them, but one can still do something about it.

I was playing collegiate tennis when Rios came on the scene but surprisingly did not keep up with pro tennis at all outside of Agassi and Sampras then . So, I don't remember much about Rios.

I did have a friend that went to Bollettieri Academy when Rios was there. Favorite story was seeing Rios eating in cafeteria by himself everyday. One day, friend (female) decides to sit next to Rios and start up conversation. Rios never acknowledged her presence, got up and left without saying a word. Awesome.

Monfils is definitely full of raw talent and athleticism. It's always striking to me how effortless he makes it look when he is playing all out. Of course, a lot of the time he shows no effort. He needs to get it together.

VN Store

Back