The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)

Comcast cable gave me a great deal and I can stream on my phone from wherever. But the deal’s one year deal is up after this month
I'm sure if you say you're going to cancel they'll offer it again (maybe not, Comcast is the devil). That's how I ended up with my DirecTV so low

I'm sure if you say you're going to cancel they'll offer it again (maybe not, Comcast is the devil). That's how I ended up with my DirecTV so low
They didn’t. The promo offer was comparable to streaming. Now it’s going to be $35 more. The only offer I got was to basically have my Netflix included

After being a TiVo user for over 10 years I got used to 30 second skip and in the last few years a one button press to skip all commercials. The response is almost instant and fast forward works well enough I can actually watch the screen and know where to stop for a show. I decided that $160 a month was getting steep for TV and Internet so I bought a couple of Roku boxes and decided to try cutting the cord for a week to save something like $50 a month.
I lasted about 3 days before I canceled and decided it wasn't worth the aggravation of screwing around with cloud DVR's and laggy response from an Internet based provider. Experiment over, I'll just stick with what works for a few more bucks a month.

After being a TiVo user for over 10 years I got used to 30 second skip and in the last few years a one button press to skip all commercials. The response is almost instant and fast forward works well enough I can actually watch the screen and know where to stop for a show. I decided that $160 a month was getting steep for TV and Internet so I bought a couple of Roku boxes and decided to try cutting the cord for a week to save something like $50 a month.
I lasted about 3 days before I canceled and decided it wasn't worth the aggravation of screwing around with cloud DVR's and laggy response from an Internet based provider. Experiment over, I'll just stick with what works for a few more bucks a month.

I'll give ya $20.00 for both of those roku's

My YouTubetv dvr is a champ.

This is a bit off topic but.....
I just turned off Comcast today as I'm headed back to the Promised Land :) for a couple mos . from SWFL.
When I come back I'm going to buy a modem for streaming and, reading this forum,:) decide what route I wanna go for TV.......especially VOLS.
From the tech'i minds here, what modem would you suggest and what specs?? I will have 2 TV's but not a huge house

Don't mean to hijack the thread..... just a few comments and back to OP topic:)

This is a bit off topic but.....
I just turned off Comcast today as I'm headed back to the Promised Land :) for a couple mos . from SWFL.
When I come back I'm going to buy a modem for streaming and, reading this forum,:) decide what route I wanna go for TV.......especially VOLS.
From the tech'i minds here, what modem would you suggest and what specs?? I will have 2 TV's but not a huge house

Don't mean to hijack the thread..... just a few comments and back to OP topic:)
Are you looking for a modem or a router? Some people confuse the two.

We had direct tv and it was $150 a month. Went to Hulu and even with the highest package only pay $50 a month. So far no issues with getting any of the games but im thinking i will get the CBS add on to make sure i have all my bases covered. Easy transition to cutting the cable.

3DVol...…thanks for the reply, guess I need to google up and find out what each is designed for! Do I need both to dump Comcast rental fees and transmit signal stream to my TV?
You do need both but sometimes you can get them in the same piece of hardware. The modem plugs into the coax cable coming from your internet provider and converts that to Ethernet. Most modems only have one Ethernet port so, to share that, you usually plus in a router to provide WiFi and additional Ethernet ports. It usually looks like:

Internet -- coax cable -- modem -- Ethernet cable -- router -- WiFi -- TV

You can rent the modem from your provider or buy your own. I bought mine 5 years ago and it has paid for itself several times over by not having to pay the rental fee. Look at your provider's website or call support to get a list of approved modems that you can buy. Here's a good list. Best Cable Modems 2019. For a router, look at the reviews in your price range. I've had good experiences with Archer and Netgear recently. I don't typically like devices that do both functions because if one part stops working you have to replace the whole thing.

Last edited:
Thank You Very Much Sir! I've always been of the opinion that renting modem from provider is part of the scam they perpetrate on the unknowing society :mad:
Link is very informative!!!
Again, Thanks

Just realized that DTVN cut a ton of channels (good ones too like A&E, History, Discovery, etc. etc.) I went to Vue for a couple of months to enjoy a discount and was looking to jump back to DTVN, but man have they ****ed up that service. 70 bucks now and took 20% of the channels away. Guess its back to Vue lol.

Just realized that DTVN cut a ton of channels (good ones too like A&E, History, Discovery, etc. etc.) I went to Vue for a couple of months to enjoy a discount and was looking to jump back to DTVN, but man have they ****ed up that service. 70 bucks now and took 20% of the channels away. Guess its back to Vue lol.
AT&T has ruined DTVN

Vue
Voodo
Hulu
Sling
Among others

I don’t see how cable is surviving with as many cheaper options that are available

Premium subs for standard Chanels

That’ll gain that customer base back...

Att should have focused on fixing thief phone service rather than expanding to tv
I actually have AT&T (best service here in Alaska and here at Ft. Campbell/Clarksville). They don't do too bad in the cell department (once they get everything right lol).

I am finally getting around to cutting the cord. I am about to make my way through some free trials. DirectTVNow looks pretty decent.

I think they are trying to kill DTVN to push their DTV streaming. They arent making money with DTVN.
F*** DTV too. Yea I managed to get my bill pretty low, but I literally had to call EVERY. SINGLE. MONTH. to fix something that was already "fixed."

My service actually ends tomorrow with them (thank God) so I'm looking at Hulu TV or YoutubeTV.

Reactions: BearCat204
I am finally getting around to cutting the cord. I am about to make my way through some free trials. DirectTVNow looks pretty decent.
It was great when it first started. They've started raising prices and cutting channels. It's not worth it at this point IMO. There are better options

VN Store

Back