The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)

Sling is ok but the biggest gripe I had was the interface. You have to swipe through icons, unless they've fixed that since we switched. On DTVNow, it has a guide and you can scroll through channels.

They have a guide now similar to the guide on Vue.

Good info. Have heard the Amazon Fire stick is underpowered for Vue but haven't tried myself.

I have 2 LG TVs and they have great smart features - just wish they'd add an app for Vue or Sling or Hulu TV or DTVNow to save buying more boxes.

Speaking of which - the LG OLED I bought last year continues to be spectacular. If you see a sale, grab one.

I've heard that as well. I use Vue on the Fire Tv's and it's fast - I'll probably get a stick to use on the outside/pool TV. I initially got the Fire TV because I wanted it to be powerful enough to quickly decode movies through Kodi, plus I read it had a faster response.

Though I'm not crazy about the Amazon centric interface - it's still quite usable.

Can't and even when I had ATT Uverse the internet was slow.

Uverse is always going to be slow unless they upgrade to fiber.

I have cable and it's fine speed wise but pricey. No competition in my neighborhood

I'm happy with my Roku and my dad's login info for service provider-required apps.

Good info. Have heard the Amazon Fire stick is underpowered for Vue but haven't tried myself.

I have 2 LG TVs and they have great smart features - just wish they'd add an app for Vue or Sling or Hulu TV or DTVNow to save buying more boxes.

Speaking of which - the LG OLED I bought last year continues to be spectacular. If you see a sale, grab one.

The only issue is it being a little sluggish with the guide and scrolling through. Outside of that, I cant tell a difference between it and my Fire TV.

Do any of the services have a good DVR besides Vue?

Sling does. It's cloud based and I believe you can store up to 50 hours of tv.

Just took a look at their website. They've changed up their subscription packages since I last looked. Kinda wonky channel options now, imo.

Just took a look at their website. They've changed up their subscription packages since I last looked. Kinda wonky channel options now, imo.

I only watch a few. I got the orange and adders sports. I also have Hulu.

I have a Tivo and the one reason I haven't cut the cord is because I time shift everything until it's convenient for me to watch. I'm not going to pay to watch commercials either so I need the ability to skip them. Online stuff just doesn't seem to offer that yet.

I have a Tivo and the one reason I haven't cut the cord is because I time shift everything until it's convenient for me to watch. I'm not going to pay to watch commercials either so I need the ability to skip them. Online stuff just doesn't seem to offer that yet.

You may still be able to use your Tivo - many people do with the streaming services

Vue has unlimited DVR (cloud) with the limitation of watching within something like 28 days.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/wiki/live

PlayStation Vue's cloud DVR has unlimited storage capacity and commercial skipping on every channel, but shows expire after 28 days.

YouTube TV's cloud DVR has unlimited storage capacity for nine months, but as soon as a show becomes available via video-on-demand it replaces the DVR's version, typically meaning you can't skip commercials.

Sling TV's cloud DVR has 50 or 100 hours of storage, shows don't expire and you can skip commercials, but it's only available on certain devices, costs $5 extra per month and many channels (namely Disney/ESPN and Fox channels) can't be recorded at all.

So far, I've found Vue to be acceptable and given the price difference compared to the cord it's a no brainer.

These services will only improve. The big question is how much price creep will occur. At least the local monopoly is busted so it's easy to price shop services.

Next step is buying specific channels (really skinny bundles).

Reactions: preacherwebb
This thread should be stickied. The topic comes up at least once every 4-5 months.

One thing that is nice about cord cutting, there are so many options now. There is no one right way to do it.

Reactions: alaVOL

VN Store

Back