The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)

mgnelson88

Hey guys I am purchasing my first house in an area that is currently laying fiber optic for high quality Internet (supposedly). I've been living on a lake for a few years now where there is no internet available so I've been out of the loop with all the new media devices available. Sling, Roku, Vue, fire stick, Netflix, Hulu, appletv, chrome cast, etc is all something I need more knowledge on. I'm a big sports watcher and some stuff on local channels and fiancé watches a lot of reality tv, old school shows, competition shows, etc. We've both had directv for years but looking to maybe move away from that and into the new tech...what do you suggest or a starting point for us? Thanks VN.

I've had DirecTV Now for 6 months or so now (with an Apple TV). Between that and my login for Xfinity (internet only) we get more than enough TV. Plus I have Amazon Prime so we use that thru the TV (Samsung).

Reactions: WTNVol2
And no contracts.

I actually got the Apple TV free when I signed up for DIRECTV Now

I actually had someone give me a brand new Apple TV but haven't used it yet due to no internet access (only our Verizon LTE)

I have DIRECTV NOW. I've had it for quite some time and am really happy with it. I use Apple TVs to stream it on my tvs. We also have Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. I have more than enough tv to watch

YV......I spoke too soon about Directv NOW on Firestick. Started doing the same crap on all my sticks and contacted support and they said its a known issue that they haven't resolved yet lol.

Went back to Vue and will never again go back to DTVN

it is all according to how much you want to spend

I dropped DT almost 2 years ago and just watch TV for free (primewire) and I do admit to uh borrowing a log in to ESPN

I don't get HD quality,but that may be due to my DSL hookup,it is the fastest thing out here in the sticks :)

The guide is better than VUE IMO. Guide can be a bit sluggish with VUE unless you are using it on console.

I have it on a Fire TV Box and seems fine.

The only issue I have is my Fire Box doesn't always restart when I turn my TV off so I have to unplug it (power or HDMI) to get it recognized. PITA.

Overall I'm fine with Vue but wish the price wasn't bumping up by 33%

Guess I just need to decide what's best, DTNow, Vue, sling etc. I have an Apple TV but do I have to have multiple devices for all tv's in house?

Guess I just need to decide what's best, DTNow, Vue, sling etc. I have an Apple TV but do I have to have multiple devices for all tv's in house?

As SDV said yes unless you have a way to mirror one TV to others.

Also, you need an Apple TV 4th gen. I have 2 of the 3rd gen and they will not work.

Roku 4 and Amazon Fire TV (box not the stick) are cheaper alternatives to ATV4.

Technically if you have a mac or ipad or maybe even an iphone you could airplay the feed from your device to an older Apple TV but I've found the feed a bit stuttering as opposed to streaming right to the appropriate box on the TV.

The nice thing is that most of the boxes handle all the services and they all have free trials so you can sign up for all and see what you like best.

I have it on a Fire TV Box and seems fine.

The only issue I have is my Fire Box doesn't always restart when I turn my TV off so I have to unplug it (power or HDMI) to get it recognized. PITA.

Overall I'm fine with Vue but wish the price wasn't bumping up by 33%

I switched to sling today. $30 vs the $55 my vue will be in October

So if I have 4 TV's in my house what all gear do I need to purchase?

Get started here.

I use the Amazon Fire TV's and think they are the best for the money. The Fire Sticks are similar but less powerful.

The NVidia Shield is by far the most powerful and full featured as far as hardware.

Other popular devices are Roku and Apple TV.

Sling is ok but the biggest gripe I had was the interface. You have to swipe through icons, unless they've fixed that since we switched. On DTVNow, it has a guide and you can scroll through channels.

Last edited:
How do you guys get your internet? I only have two options ATT and Comcast and both are expensive for internet alone.

So if I have 4 TV's in my house what all gear do I need to purchase?

Get started here.

I use the Amazon Fire TV's and think they are the best for the money. The Fire Sticks are similar but less powerful.

The NVidia Shield is by far the most powerful and full featured as far as hardware.

Other popular devices are Roku and Apple TV.

Good info. Have heard the Amazon Fire stick is underpowered for Vue but haven't tried myself.

I have 2 LG TVs and they have great smart features - just wish they'd add an app for Vue or Sling or Hulu TV or DTVNow to save buying more boxes.

Speaking of which - the LG OLED I bought last year continues to be spectacular. If you see a sale, grab one.

VN Store

Back