The Tape don’t Lie - 23-3 deficit explained

I just went back and watched the 1st quarter and almost 1/2 of the 2nd quarter... This is what I witnessed from the tape.

1. JG sack fumble - Vols in Max L side protect - UF showed blitz with more guys.... #4 Dom. Didn’t pick up inside blitz guy until he was almost by him then he hit him but the RB Jordan doubled bc he almost missed him... Jordan left outside blitz guy run free and that’s what happened... both their faults imo.. but TE has to pick up inside guy...

2. JG INT screen - this play was terrible. Not sure why it was so slow to develop, but the same TE missed the LB who was then tracking the play.. DT was sniffing it out... this is a combo of poor play design, bad execution and judgment, and missed assignment...

3. 4th down JG pass to same TE - Great call, TE drops ball as it hits him in chest

4. 3rd down and 1 run and lost 1-2 yards. This had 2-3 busts in it. 58 hit nobody. If he had just sat in the hole it would’ve been better. Bc 58 hit nobody he left trey Smith with 2 guys to choose from. He chose the outside guy leaving the inside guy. #81 ran by the inside DL leaving him open to drill our RB. A second later a LB that both 58 and 81 missed finished the tackle.
If 58 and 81 hits that DL I think we get the 1st down

5. Onside kick - genius call... terrible execution.. was 4 against 1 and we lost. Someone shoulda trucked that guy... they looked like playing flag football... love the call

6. Safety - combo of bad playcall and bad execution on RB - ran same play 2x even though they lost 1/2 yard on first attempt... then UF loaded a run blitz on our L side.... great counter could hv been bootleg to R or move pocket to R and pass.. Jordan could hv gotten a yard or 2 by running straight up A gap. Instead he ran sideways into the run blitz... terrible on his part...

7. UF throws 50 yard bomb pass.. bust by 25...... he was covering the guy and when UF qb stepped up and faked a run. He got faked out and overplayed it and left his man leaving him wide open... 35 almost ran down their WR from behind incredibly, but couldn’t catch him.

That sums up the score of 23-3 with 9-10 minutes left in 2nd quarter. Then another great playcall on 4th with Pope throw and Pope fumble bc of bad ball security.

So, the players up to this point making all The major mistakes were:
JG, Jordan, Wood-Anderson, Pope, Wolf, Jamir Johnson, & Flowers.

Its funny bc to me the TE performed by far the worst.... most of the playcalls were good, just bad execution and missed assignments..
What a great analysis. Basically we have players, especially at the tight end position, that cannot execute what the coaches want. Maybe its time to play some other TE's that can execute better. 6 turnovers and a safety will get you blown out of any SEC game. Hopefully our execution improves, problem is, for the next 3 games our opponents will have to execute the same way we did vs. FL AND WE WILL HAVE TO execute flawlessly to even stay within 2 touchdowns of any of them. FL was very winnable had we just held onto the ball. Staring down 3-9.

It's important to know why we suck though and at this point the majority of the reasons aren't in Pruitt's control. The man can't scheme around these types of mental mistakes
It's important for cjp yo know, none of us can do anything about it.

The offensive staff has to get better, they are attempting to coach this team as if they were high performing athletes at their positions and for the most part they are not.

Good coaches can take good talent and win with it. Great coaches can take a roster with deficiencies and develop those players and put together schemes to best suit their abilities and compete.

I have no doubt we have good coaches but we need great coaches. I hope they prove to be the latter, we will see.
Are you trying to say we need great coaches to teach ball security and blocking? That is what killed us Saturday and those are fundamentals taught in high school. You can teach scheme all you want but if you keep giving the ball up it doesn't really matter does it? Your argument is weak and sounds as if you want to mostly lay blame with the staff when its the players on the field who cannot perform in SEC play

Reactions: Rockyjr
I just went back and watched the 1st quarter and almost 1/2 of the 2nd quarter... This is what I witnessed from the tape.

1. JG sack fumble - Vols in Max L side protect - UF showed blitz with more guys.... #4 Dom. Didn’t pick up inside blitz guy until he was almost by him then he hit him but the RB Jordan doubled bc he almost missed him... Jordan left outside blitz guy run free and that’s what happened... both their faults imo.. but TE has to pick up inside guy...

2. JG INT screen - this play was terrible. Not sure why it was so slow to develop, but the same TE missed the LB who was then tracking the play.. DT was sniffing it out... this is a combo of poor play design, bad execution and judgment, and missed assignment...

3. 4th down JG pass to same TE - Great call, TE drops ball as it hits him in chest

4. 3rd down and 1 run and lost 1-2 yards. This had 2-3 busts in it. 58 hit nobody. If he had just sat in the hole it would’ve been better. Bc 58 hit nobody he left trey Smith with 2 guys to choose from. He chose the outside guy leaving the inside guy. #81 ran by the inside DL leaving him open to drill our RB. A second later a LB that both 58 and 81 missed finished the tackle.

5. Onside kick - genius call... terrible execution.. was 4 against 1 and we lost. Someone shoulda trucked that guy... they looked like playing flag football... love the call

6. Safety - combo of bad playcall and bad execution on RB - ran same play 2x even though they lost 1/2 yard on first attempt... then UF loaded a run blitz on our L side.... great counter could hv been bootleg to R or move pocket to R and pass.. Jordan could hv gotten a yard or 2 by running straight up A gap. Instead he ran sideways into the run blitz... terrible on his part...

7. UF throws 50 yard bomb pass.. bust by 25...... he was covering the guy and when UF qb stepped up and faked a run. He got faked out and overplayed it and left his man leaving him wide open... 35 almost ran down their WR from behind incredibly, but couldn’t catch him.

That sums up the score of 23-3 with 9-10 minutes left in 2nd quarter. Then another great playcall on 4th with Pope throw and Pope fumble bc of bad ball security.

Its funny bc to me the TE performed by far the worst.... most of the playcalls were good, just bad execution and missed assignments..
JG doesnt make mistakes. His completion % is impeccable and above reproach.

JG doesnt make mistakes. His completion % is impeccable and above reproach.
Man, I tried to stay away from mentioning JG with all his fan boys in volnation being irrational, but since you your sarcasm is right and makes a point I can't help but say he isn't the dude for us. Talent or not he cannot read defense or audible the offense into good position to not have negative plays. He is robotic, no moxy. Big deal he can take a hit, all sec qbs should be able to get hit.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
You may be right, but in his defense it’s not like he’s had a stable offensive coaching staff running the same system. It took even the great Peyton Manning until late in his 2nd year in the system to audible into better plays. Many quarterbacks never get to that level.

nicely done 85...well, then, the Georgia game should be a blast for you...:D...and, as always...

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread sounds too rational. We need more of the fahr Pruitt crowd in here. 🙄

I havent read every thread on here so maybe I'm wrong but I dont think anyone has called for him to be fired.

The water carriers here think if you're not lapping at the shoes of the head coach you aren't a dan of the team. Maybe I'm just not smart enough but I cant figure out that mentality at all. The coach is simply a hired gun that is only here for the paycheck. Pretty certain he didnt get too many other HC offers. These players that so many want to bash, came here when they could have chosen many other places to play and go to school.

So of there is any question on the loyalty to the Big Orange it shouldn't be directed at the players.

My guess is in 20 years there isnt a single damn coach from the current or past 3 staffs that will show up in Neyland to cheer the Vols on. Guess who will be there? These players VN bash on a regular basis and me. cant speak for anyone else

Reactions: Carson11
Pruitt discussed #1, #2, #5, and #7 in the post-game presser. Regarding #5 (onside kick), Pruitt said they practiced it all week and one player was assigned to take out/chop the FL player. On Saturday, that player decided he would go for the ball instead of the doing what he had practiced all week. For #7 (50+ yard pass), the DB made a terrible decision to leave his receiver and run towards the LOS. Pruitt said when the QB rolled out, he was even 5 more yards away from the LOS and there was no reason for the DB to drop the coverage.
For those saying Pruitt needs to go, let's look at this post. They practiced this all week, one guy's assignment was to take out the Florida player, but instead, goes for the ball. A week of practicing his assignment and in gametime, he fails to do what he had practiced for a week. That's on the player, not the coach. The coaches can practice the game plan all week, all month, all year, but if the player's don't do what they have been taught, it's all for nothing. Only thing a coach can do is replace the players that don't practice their coaching. When you are limited with players who aren't as capable as the ones not following the coaching, all the coach can do is try to do the best he can with what he has, and recruit guys who put their practice into their playing.

I disagree on the onside kick being a great call. 1) the defense, with help of a penalty, had stopped UF offense in the only possession that UF started in their own territory at that point. The last thing the defense needed was having to defend again on UF's plus side of the 50, 2) the best chance for victory for Tennessee was win the field position game and force mistakes by UF offense (exactly what uf had done to Tenn that point) 3)execution is never guaranteed. Remember youre playing with 19-20 yr old guys who are typically not the most experienced players on special teams anyway 4) even if you get the ball there, your offense was far for being "on fire". 5) stats prove onside kicks work about 25% of the time. Low probability for reward for that point in the game. The critical thing was get a stop and get a TD to get back in the game. JMO

I disagree on the onside kick being a great call. 1) the defense, with help of a penalty, had stopped UF offense in the only possession that UF started in their own territory at that point. The last thing the defense needed was having to defend again on UF's plus side of the 50, 2) the best chance for victory for Tennessee was win the field position game and force mistakes by UF offense (exactly what uf had done to Tenn that point) 3)execution is never guaranteed. Remember youre playing with 19-20 yr old guys who are typically not the most experienced players on special teams anyway 4) even if you get the ball there, your offense was far for being "on fire". 5) stats prove onside kicks work about 25% of the time. Low probability for reward for that point in the game. The critical thing was get a stop and get a TD to get back in the game. JMO

I thought it was a great call. He had what he wanted. Probably felt the team needed a spark to change the momentum, but unfortunately, it didn't work.

The D did what it was suppose to do, but they had a perfect punt and Jordan has to learn not to bounce everything outside... especially on the goaline

Last edited:
Reactions: a vol n tears

Neidermeyer needs to work on pass protection with his te group. I think that the tight ends we have lack experience in that phase of game. DWA is used to dominating juco linebackers in space. Jahmir Johnson tries hard but doesn't get to second level defenders because his angles are bad- usually a poor first step. He makes good plays about 50% of the time... it's lack of experience and the power 5 speed is new to him. He's fast enough and with time he can be a good guard or center. This is painfully difficult to watch.

Thanks for the breakdown. Just realize though, that part of coaching is assuming that players will miss assignments from time to time, but designing a gameplan where they don't ruin the game when they happen. Here are some notes for some of these plays:

1. This was the first series and we went Run, Run, Pass. It looked like Florida banked on those calls to put us into long yardage and then ran a typical pass blitz meant to confuse on 3rd down. Yes, we had enough blockers, but putting yourself in a bad situation with predictable playcalling early on is what led to this.

2. Again, this was a Run, Run, Pass. We were in long yardage and a screen was expected. Of course our execution was all around awful and it was a nice play by Florida. JG has to sell it better and then throw it into the ground if the setup looks that awful. Again, execution aside... really bad playcalling led to this situation.

4. I think this was the play that Austin Pope was the lead blocker and let 2 players go right by him without so much as touching them. I have no idea WTF happened there, but if your lead blocker is that bad, maybe you shouldn't be using him in obvious run situations.

5. Love this call. Kick was executed perfectly, other than showing the onside a little early I thought. It was at a great spot in the game to go for it, and Florida wasn't prepared. Just a terrible mental lapse by whoever was supposed to take out their player.

2. JG INT screen - this play was terrible. Not sure why it was so slow to develop, but the same TE missed the LB who was then tracking the play.. DT was sniffing it out... this is a combo of poor play design, bad execution and judgment, and missed assignment...Then another great playcall on 4th with Pope throw and Pope fumble bc of bad ball security.

#2 being an INT is 100% on the QB. He leapt backwards and threw a pass without his feet set, and he threw it right into a crowd. At that end of the field. When it happened live you could see what was about to happen. Inexcusable thing to do at this point for any starting QB in major college football.

I don't know if I'd call Pope's execution "bad ball security". I'd call it more of an atrocious brain fart. The Florida player never hit the ball - didn't get near it - Pope knocked it out of his left hand WITH HIS OWN RIGHT HAND. Unbelievable.

I think this game brought a new meaning to ‘what can go wrong will go wrong’

That phrase implies that it was a karma-like can't-catch-a-break thing. We've definitely seen those times before, especially against Florida. But this wasn't that - this was a self-beating of huge magnitude. They were beating themselves so much there was actual concern they may go blind.

Instead of choosing to be angry at any player, or coach, I've decided to accept that this is what to expect this year. Truthfully speaking, probably next year as well. Pruitt isn't getting fired, our skill players are what they are. Of course I'm gonna be upset each game we lose, but I'm not gonna come on here acting like my opinion of it is better, or worse than any other. I like some things, I hate some things, but regardless of how I feel, it's not changing any time soon. I'm gonna watch us most likely lose every week, not because I like it, but because I love Tennessee. We'll know in a couple of years if Pruitt is the guy, and I hope he is. If not, so be it, but after the last decade we should all hope we don't have to go through this again.

On the five stages of grief chart, would this be bargaining or acceptance? Asking for a friend...

Are you trying to say we need great coaches to teach ball security and blocking? That is what killed us Saturday and those are fundamentals taught in high school. You can teach scheme all you want but if you keep giving the ball up it doesn't really matter does it? Your argument is weak and sounds as if you want to mostly lay blame with the staff when its the players on the field who cannot perform in SEC play

THIS. The self-inflicted embarrassment that took place Saturday night was attributable to things that every single college football player must've known in high school or they never would've been recruited to play major college football in the first place. These guys have regressed.

Man, I tried to stay away from mentioning JG with all his fan boys in volnation being irrational, but since you your sarcasm is right and makes a point I can't help but say he isn't the dude for us. Talent or not he cannot read defense or audible the offense into good position to not have negative plays. He is robotic, no moxy. Big deal he can take a hit, all sec qbs should be able to get hit.

I don't understand how the JG Fan Club (family excluded, of course) don't get this. He puts out great effort. He's a great kid. He's not what we need at QB, and frankly I don't think he would start at any other SEC school barring injury. Seriously, where would he be the starter other than UT? That's not his fault, but it's the reality. He just can't make the pre-snap reads or read through his progressions quickly enough. Sometimes it even seems like he uses the pass rush to time his throws.

If things don't get better with KC at QB through this upcoming gauntlet, we better plan on using those last 4 games to get Shrout prepped for next year.

For those saying Pruitt needs to go, let's look at this post. They practiced this all week, one guy's assignment was to take out the Florida player, but instead, goes for the ball. A week of practicing his assignment and in gametime, he fails to do what he had practiced for a week. That's on the player, not the coach. The coaches can practice the game plan all week, all month, all year, but if the player's don't do what they have been taught, it's all for nothing. Only thing a coach can do is replace the players that don't practice their coaching. When you are limited with players who aren't as capable as the ones not following the coaching, all the coach can do is try to do the best he can with what he has, and recruit guys who put their practice into their playing.

Yes, this is why we are watching Pruitt this week. He didn't create this mess, but he's being paid MILLIONS to clean it up. Whatcha gonna do, coach?

This game was brutal to watch, but I think that it might be the first real step toward improvement. I realize that it ma seem counter-intuitive, but hear me out. We have all accepted that CBJ failed to develop talent and recruit quality linemen. Now we know just how far we have fallen and have no dissolutions as to how bad things have gotten in Knoxville. The only way to clean up a mess sometimes is to make a bigger mess and start from scratch. Ladies and gentlemen we are at rock bottom. Understand that our expectations from now until the end of the season are simply incremental improvements and growth. Let the idea of a bowl game fade and focus on the task at hand. Most of you will not like this post, but I truly feel that the best thing for us is realistic expectations and taking the good with the bad. Give CJP time to get the team focused and let good coaching take its course, time will tell.

Ya, Wood-Anderson HAS to learn how to block! I'm pretty sure CJP has mentioned this before.

Thats a lot of mistakes. You think a decent coaching staff wouldve cleaned up most of the assignment stuff by the 4th game of the year. OR... our players are borderline cognitively disabled. A long year is right!

The next block Pope makes will be his first. Hes a terrible lead blocker

Reactions: lexkyvol

1. that was completely Jordan's fault for taking the inside guy instead of the edge guy like he was supposed too. he took him right before 4 was ready to block him

2. again, jordan's fault. never got out of traffic and was untouched on the screen pass. the rb on a screen is to make himself available. he did not do such

3. agree

4. 58 and 81.....and 9 on offense. neither should play this week not 1 down.

5. agree.......pathetic effort by us

6. another time where jordan tries to bounce an inside run outside and it ends up being a loss. thought helton deserved some blame here as well for calling the same play twice

7. beyond poor tackling effort by buchanan on the td pass to 16 for florida. 28, 5, and 99 need to not play 1 down this week.

Jordan, Wood-Anderson, Pope, Wolf, Jamir Johnson, Buchanan, Kongbo, Phillips, & Flowers

FIFY

Thats a lot of mistakes. You think a decent coaching staff wouldve cleaned up most of the assignment stuff by the 4th game of the year. OR... our players are borderline cognitively disabled. A long year is right!

nah, we needed an opponent like this and a game like this to expose the non-effort guys.

this team is very capable of making a bowl game. the coaches have to be willing to bench those guys making the mistakes and replacing them with guys who know what they're doing. in some situations like blocking, talent is irrelevant

VN Store

Back