The Tape don’t Lie - 23-3 deficit explained

tabrams

Supportin' the Cause
I just went back and watched the 1st quarter and almost 1/2 of the 2nd quarter... This is what I witnessed from the tape.

1. JG sack fumble - Vols in Max L side protect - UF showed blitz with more guys.... #4 Dom. Didn’t pick up inside blitz guy until he was almost by him then he hit him but the RB Jordan doubled bc he almost missed him... Jordan left outside blitz guy run free and that’s what happened... both their faults imo.. but TE has to pick up inside guy...

2. JG INT screen - this play was terrible. Not sure why it was so slow to develop, but the same TE missed the LB who was then tracking the play.. DT was sniffing it out... this is a combo of poor play design, bad execution and judgment, and missed assignment...

3. 4th down JG pass to same TE - Great call, TE drops ball as it hits him in chest

4. 3rd down and 1 run and lost 1-2 yards. This had 2-3 busts in it. 58 hit nobody. If he had just sat in the hole it would’ve been better. Bc 58 hit nobody he left trey Smith with 2 guys to choose from. He chose the outside guy leaving the inside guy. #81 ran by the inside DL leaving him open to drill our RB. A second later a LB that both 58 and 81 missed finished the tackle.
If 58 and 81 hits that DL I think we get the 1st down

5. Onside kick - genius call... terrible execution.. was 4 against 1 and we lost. Someone shoulda trucked that guy... they looked like playing flag football... love the call

6. Safety - combo of bad playcall and bad execution on RB - ran same play 2x even though they lost 1/2 yard on first attempt... then UF loaded a run blitz on our L side.... great counter could hv been bootleg to R or move pocket to R and pass.. Jordan could hv gotten a yard or 2 by running straight up A gap. Instead he ran sideways into the run blitz... terrible on his part...

7. UF throws 50 yard bomb pass.. bust by 25...... he was covering the guy and when UF qb stepped up and faked a run. He got faked out and overplayed it and left his man leaving him wide open... 35 almost ran down their WR from behind incredibly, but couldn’t catch him.

That sums up the score of 23-3 with 9-10 minutes left in 2nd quarter. Then another great playcall on 4th with Pope throw and Pope fumble bc of bad ball security.

So, the players up to this point making all The major mistakes were:
JG, Jordan, Wood-Anderson, Pope, Wolf, Jamir Johnson, & Flowers.

Its funny bc to me the TE performed by far the worst.... most of the playcalls were good, just bad execution and missed assignments..

Last edited:
I just went back and watched the 1st quarter and almost 1/2 of Te 2nd quarter... This is what I witnessed from the tape.

1. JG sack fumble - Vols in Max L side protect - UF showed blitz with more guys.... #4 Dom. Didn’t pick up inside blitz guy until he was almost by him then he hit him but the RB Jordan doubled bc he almost missed him... Jordan left outside blitz guy run free and that’s what happened... both their faults imo.. but TE has to pick up inside guy...

2. JG INT screen - this play was terrible. Not sure why it was so slow to develop, but the same TE missed the LB who was then tracking the play.. DT was sniffing it out... this is a combo of poor play design, bad execution and judgment, and missed assignment...

3. 4th down JG pass to same TE - Great call, TE drops ball as it hits him in chest

4. 3rd down and 1 run and lost 1-2 yards. This had 2-3 busts in it. 58 hit nobody. If he had just sat in the hole it would’ve been better. Bc 58 hit nobody he left trey Smith with 2 guys to choose from. He chose the outside guy leaving the inside guy. #81 ran by the inside DL leaving him open to drill our RB. A second later a LB that both 58 and 81 missed finished the tackle.

5. Onside kick - genius call... terribld execution.. was 4 against 1 and we lost. Someone shoulda trucked that guy... they looked like playing flag football... love the call

6. Safety - combo of bad playcall and bad execution on RB - ran same play 2x even though they lost 1/2 yard on first attempt... then UF loaded a run blitz on our L side.... great counter could hv been bootleg to R or move pocket to R and pass.. Jordan could hv gotten a yard or 2 by running straight up A gap. Instead he ran sideways into the run blitz... terrible on his part...

7. UF throws 50 yard bomb pass.. bust by 25...... he was covering the guy and when UF qb stepped up and faked a run. He got faked out and overplayed it and left his man leaving him wide open... 35 almost ran down their WR from behind them incredibly, but couldn’t catch him.

That sums up the score of 23-3 with 9-10 minutes left in 2nd quarter. Then another great playcall on 4th with Pope throw and Pope fumble bc of bad ball security.

So, the players up to this point making all The mistakes were:
JG, Jordan, Wood-Anderson, Pope, Wolf, Jamir Johnson

Its funny bc to me the TE performed by far the worst.... buy most of the playcalls were good, just bad execution and missed assignments.

Thank you for sitting through that mess..I'm not up to it yet. Maybe by Tuesday...

I just went back and watched the 1st quarter and almost 1/2 of the q2nd quarter... This is what I witnessed from the tape.

5. Onside kick - genius call... terrible execution.. was 4 against 1 and we lost. Someone shoulda trucked that guy... they looked like playing flag football... love the call

7. UF throws 50 yard bomb pass.. bust by 25...... he was covering the guy and when UF qb stepped up and faked a run. He got faked out and overplayed it and left his man leaving him wide open... 35 almost ran down their WR from behind incredibly, but couldn’t catch him.

Its funny bc to me the TE performed by far the worst.... most of the playcalls were good, just bad execution and missed assignments..

Agree 100%. Only thing you left out was we forced a 3 and out after the on side kick, which made the onside kick even more of a great call. However they punt and their special teams downs the ball at the 1 which is where/when the safety happened 2 plays later.

The opening kick off of the 2nd half, was extra effort fumble and poor ball security.

All coaching items that can be cleaned up. Players have to execute.

Thanks for the analysis! Great job.

;)

I just went back and watched the 1st quarter and almost 1/2 of the q2nd quarter... This is what I witnessed from the tape.

Nicely done.

Instead of choosing to be angry at any player, or coach, I've decided to accept that this is what to expect this year. Truthfully speaking, probably next year as well. Pruitt isn't getting fired, our skill players are what they are. Of course I'm gonna be upset each game we lose, but I'm not gonna come on here acting like my opinion of it is better, or worse than any other. I like some things, I hate some things, but regardless of how I feel, it's not changing any time soon. I'm gonna watch us most likely lose every week, not because I like it, but because I love Tennessee. We'll know in a couple of years if Pruitt is the guy, and I hope he is. If not, so be it, but after the last decade we should all hope we don't have to go through this again.

Haha...just trying to figure out what happened. It was a winnable game game I thought...
Not for me. The biggest sign from the utep game was struggling to.sustain drives. Our d is okay, but still a bit unorganized/undisciplined. Our o is a hot mess.
When you are as undisciplined as we are and lack fundamentals as bad as we do, you tend to make mistakes. Against lesser competition etsu/utep, you can cover them up quite a bit. SEC will make you pay.

I just went back and watched the 1st quarter and almost 1/2 of the 2nd quarter... This is what I witnessed from the tape.

The big question is why our mistakes seem to be magnified compared to Florida's. I'm sure they made some similar mistakes in blocking, but it didn't result in TO's or points for us. I think we are cursed.

The offensive staff has to get better, they are attempting to coach this team as if they were high performing athletes at their positions and for the most part they are not.

Good coaches can take good talent and win with it. Great coaches can take a roster with deficiencies and develop those players and put together schemes to best suit their abilities and compete.

I have no doubt we have good coaches but we need great coaches. I hope they prove to be the latter, we will see.

Pruitt discussed #1, #2, #5, and #7 in the post-game presser. Regarding #5 (onside kick), Pruitt said they practiced it all week and one player was assigned to take out/chop the FL player. On Saturday, that player decided he would go for the ball instead of the doing what he had practiced all week. For #7 (50+ yard pass), the DB made a terrible decision to leave his receiver and run towards the LOS. Pruitt said when the QB rolled out, he was even 5 more yards away from the LOS and there was no reason for the DB to drop the coverage.

Reactions: screenthis
Agree 100%. Only thing you left out was we forced a 3 and out after the on side kick, which made the onside kick even more of a great call. However they punt and their special teams downs the ball at the 1 which is where/when the safety happened 2 plays later.

The opening kick off of the 2nd half, was extra effort fumble and poor ball security.

All coaching items that can be cleaned up. Players have to execute.

Thanks for the analysis! Great job.

;)
What worries me the most is that this team has to many that no matter how much coaching they get, they will continue to be what they are.

Reactions: amorange
The offensive staff has to get better, they are attempting to coach this team as if they were high performing athletes at their positions and for the most part they are not.

Good coaches can take good talent and win with it. Great coaches can take a roster with deficiencies and develop those players and put together schemes to best suit their abilities and compete.

I have no doubt we have good coaches but we need great coaches. I hope they prove to be the latter, we will see.

I do like the way you went about phrasing this. T.Helton is working himself into a corner with fellow coach W.Friend. UT does not have a running QB that can get to the edge, plant his feet and launch a pass. When I watched UGA v. Mizzou Sat. Smart and Chaney called upon Fromm to roll-out and he executed. UGA has incorporated that style and it makes them multi-dimensional. UT has yet to do this. I haven't went back to his UAB days but all the QB's that Helton has coached are pure pocket passers in pro-style offenses. This forces them to have to have superior linemen to execute properly. If UT had a fast QB it could serve to buy the linemen time to learn the more complex blocking schemes that Helton must be trying to incorporate.
I do want to reserve judgement but the continual attempts at running the ball and using up clock in the process with an inferior line against UF is telling. He's by no means an innovator and there's nothing wrong with a fast QB in the college game. His style is dependent on having certain types of players and for some reason he must draw up some kind of game plan and stick to it to answer for all the unnecessary rushing that has any net value. One poster today explained how Kiffin taught Crompton to utilize the roll out. Based on what I've seen in a short time frame Helton will have VN breathing down his neck by this time next year if he doesn't learn to deviate and innovate according to our personnel and our opponents.

I have no problem with the coaches and actually thought they made calls to try and change the tide without getting JG knocked out for the season. I can accept getting beat. The one thing I can't accept is how the players let Fl push them around and let the Fl players intimidate them. After the plays were over Fl would continually bump into the TN players, they held the WR almost every pass play, TN had 5 on 1 for the onside kick and let one gator take the ball. They let them talk trash all game long. Sometime you just have to take an unsportsmanlike penalty and move on. This was on the players, not the coaches. With the new 25 per year recruiting rule, he can get rid of players or suggest they leave, but it will not help turnover the roster any quicker. Those days are gone so it will be 2 or 3 classes before Pruitt can get players who do the intimidating instead of being intimidated.

Our line is not very fast or quick with the feet. If you roll out you must have linemen that can get out in front and make a block in space. We don’t have them. For the same reason we don’t run screens well or run the counter well. Our line is still learning to block a basic gap run aginst various defensive alignments without getting confused or simply not getting there. If you ever played in the oline you know it is not easy. The D is always trying to confuse the blocking. A. Split second of confusion or misstep and you are beat. Experience is the key.

Instead of choosing to be angry at any player, or coach, I've decided to accept that this is what to expect this year. Truthfully speaking, probably next year as well. Pruitt isn't getting fired, our skill players are what they are. Of course I'm gonna be upset each game we lose, but I'm not gonna come on here acting like my opinion of it is better, or worse than any other. I like some things, I hate some things, but regardless of how I feel, it's not changing any time soon. I'm gonna watch us most likely lose every week, not because I like it, but because I love Tennessee. We'll know in a couple of years if Pruitt is the guy, and I hope he is. If not, so be it, but after the last decade we should all hope we don't have to go through this again.

Well said! You expressed so perfectly how I feel.

Reactions: joevol33
I have no problem with the coaches and actually thought they made calls to try and change the tide without getting JG knocked out for the season. I can accept getting beat. The one thing I can't accept is how the players let Fl push them around and let the Fl players intimidate them. After the plays were over Fl would continually bump into the TN players, they held the WR almost every pass play, TN had 5 on 1 for the onside kick and let one gator take the ball. They let them talk trash all game long. Sometime you just have to take an unsportsmanlike penalty and move on. This was on the players, not the coaches. With the new 25 per year recruiting rule, he can get rid of players or suggest they leave, but it will not help turnover the roster any quicker. Those days are gone so it will be 2 or 3 classes before Pruitt can get players who do the intimidating instead of being intimidated.

I thought this was bad when watching it live, but went back and watched the replay and it is even worse than I suspected.

This team needs an attitude adjustment in the worst way, and it needs to come from the players themselves.

Absolutely no leaders in the locker room.

I hope he does recruit the max each year.

Jerk scholarships if need be.

Players had to perform to get them, they need to perform to keep them....................

I thought this was bad when watching it live, but went back and watched the replay and it is even worse than I suspected.

This team needs an attitude adjustment in the worst way, and it needs to come from the players themselves.

Absolutely no leaders in the locker room.

I hope he does recruit the max each year.

Jerk scholarships if need be.

Players had to perform to get them, they need to perform to keep them....................

Very telling. Says alot about the culture Butch built and attitude he instilled in his players. Butchs players are weak, lazy, slow and fearful. Pruitt has his work cut out fir him trying to change all of that. And from what we have seen, its going to take awhile.

Reactions: 1985Vols

I agree and keep thinking “ just do something functional for them please ..” but then I have to assume a band aide fix delays installing a new scheme/ culture. This year will hurt, but it hurts becuse we have to change the way we’ve been playing football, which wasn’t winning SEC football.

The "Just" of what people are saying in the blog is that we are not ready for "Prime Time" with this group of athletes. I get it and totally agree. Now the question is, do you lower your standard of Coaching to get through the season, or, do you use the phrase, "Damn the Torpedos, Full Speed Ahead". That is a question only the coaching staff can answer. My guess is, "Tighten Your Chinstraps Men" we are in for a Rough Ride!

VN Store

Back