The Supreme Court of the United States Thread

I went to another state for cancer surgery. I'm not sure Tennessee or Maryland (Johns Hopkins) would have any reason to prevent me from doing that.

I'm doing the same thing right now, though not for cancer. Got a diagnosis from Vandy. Have already been to the Cleveland Clinic for a second opinion and I'm going to Mayo next month.

Reactions: AM64 and 82_VOL_83
I went to another state for cancer surgery. I'm not sure Tennessee or Maryland (Johns Hopkins) would have any reason to prevent me from doing that.

because cancer surgery wasn't illegal in TN. what's been floated is the idea of preventing a state citizen from going elsewhere to do something illegal in said state. won't hold up but doesn't mean that it hasn't already been considered.

Not that it should impact rulings but this one here is going to cause major turmoil in our country for decades. I put this in the careful what you wish for category. I guess it's a good thing that neither party can seem to handle power advantages and always take it too far.
You may be right, but this does represent a shift to pre-FDR / pre-Johnson days when the Court did defer more to protecting the rights of the States.

because cancer surgery wasn't illegal in TN. what's been floated is the idea of preventing a state citizen from going elsewhere to do something illegal in said state. won't hold up but doesn't mean that it hasn't already been considered.

Such a law stands no chance in court.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Remember, a lot people believed Reagan was going to start a nuclear war after being elected.
It just seems like it would be impossible to monitor. First, the “Red State” in this made-up scenario would have to know which women are pregnant and traveled to a state that permits abortions. How would they obtain that information? A doctor’s office or OBGYN is obligated to keep patient info private (HIPPA).

that is one thing that by definition will happen

I can see the Big Red Wave turning to a trickle though

I have all the faith in the world that the Rs will **** this up in grand fashion and try to push federal legislation regulating abortion. If they're smart (which they're not) they'll leave the matter to the states.

I don’t have a problem with overturning Roe, in a vacuum. If they had done it in 1992, I suspect we’d be in a better place now, as a country.

Ginsburg’s criticism of the decision as being too much too soon has panned out. The fight over it was too bitter and has allowed a lot of good vs. evil to creep into our politics.

Whether that would have happened anyways or whether it is now too late for a course correction or not, I don’t know.
Agreed

Such a law stands no chance in court.
Interestingly enough, Canada does have laws making it illegal for a Canadian citizen to seek medical procedures in the United States when their socialized healthcare utopia cannot deliver timely care. They just ignore it because it is now so prevalent. There are companies in Canada that arrange "Medical Vacations."

I'm doing the same thing right now. Got a diagnosis from Vandy. Have already been to the Cleveland Clinic for a second opinion and I'm going to Mayo next month.
Prayers you find answers. Mayo and JH agreed on approach and i was very impressed with JH surgeon for my cancer. I am glad I did what I did, but it may have worked out here too. God bless you.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Abortion should be illegal and anyone who has one or any doctor who performs one should be arrested and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

They will until red states make laws prohibiting free movement. It's coming
In what universe will a court side with a state dictating behavior of its residents outside its jurisdiction? You can go to Colorado and buy and smoke weed, Tennessee can't arrest you when you get back for doing something they consider illegal.

I have all the faith in the world that the Rs will **** this up in grand fashion and try to push federal legislation regulating abortion. If they're smart (which they're not) they'll leave the matter to the states.

The polling on the issue doesn't reflect the outrage on which the Dems are pinning their hopes. But the Republicans have got to stay out of their own way on this topic.

VN Store

Back