The Supreme Court of the United States Thread

Long post incoming.

Yesterday, the court said that efforts to stop urban gun crime had to be “analogous” to those in place at a time when NYC’s population was about on par with a Pruitt era UT game, and reasoned that this was acceptable because there was gun violence in densely populated areas at the time of the founding. Regardless of what you think of the outcome, that reasoning is absurd.

Personally, I’m more than okay with some oddball reasoning that expands limits on government. If it doesn’t interfere with another person’s rights, the government should stay out of it, regardless of how moral or socially acceptable a given behavior is. Laws should exist to govern disputes between people, not to regulate how people live when it doesn’t affect others. Abortion is one of the few issues that seems to fall along that line, rather than to one side of it. It seems fair to leave that issue up to individual states to codify or enshrine in their own constitutions.

But I have a tremendous problem with the flip side of originalism, which is that it tethers our understanding of liberty to a point in time when it was acceptable to make people property and when even women who weren’t property weren’t viewed as much better than. We shouldn’t be forced to amend the constitution for things like recognition of marriage, access to contraception, the right to raise our children as we see fit because we know that the 9th Amendment was put in there for the express purpose of making sure that 1-8 weren’t seen as an exhaustive list.

So yeah, ambivalent about abortion but still see this case as indicating that Alito and Thomas are a problem.
You don't need to amend the constitution for those thing. You settle them in your state legislature.

Had to with right to privacy which while not expressed in that term exactly, exists in for example the right to be secure in your person or home. Thomas .... I don't know what to say. He's out there. On the extreme of the extreme. What he's talking about overruling is indescribable in its breadth.

Part of my hope for a Republican president in 2025 is that Thomas might finally retire. He's written some strong decisions over the years, but he's also gone off the deep end way too often (though usually in concurrences, which thankfully don't carry any legal weight).

..... and when jack-ass Biden's address to the nation is over .... he turns & walks off stage like a dictator in robot fashion w/no questions allowed. What a wuss.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRUEFANVol
..... and when jack-ass Biden's address to the nation is over .... he turns & walks off stage like a dictator robot fashion w/no questions allowed. What a wuss.

If he can't take the softball questions that are bound to be lobbed on this topic, then that tells you all you need to know about his cognitive state.

Again. I like Manchin. He has always tried to do the right thing in the end.

Rape, incests, mother's health represents precisely around 2% or less of abortions that take place. And yet these things are used to justify unfettered abortions.

Abortions take place because of the sexual revolution not because of any of these other reasons. (Not directed at you, poster) Stop lying, stop looking for justifications that aren't there. Abortion is evil and wicked, and should be rejected. Period. And the sooner politicians stop lying about these justifications the better for everyone involved.

Last edited:
I wonder if there will be enough outrage for people to pack up and move to a state that protects abortion in their constitution? Do pro abortion folks feel strongly enough to do that? Will anti abortion folks pack up and leave to move to a state that bans it?

Again. I like Manchin. He has always tried to do the right thing in the end.

He should have done his job decades ago and sponsored legislation to codify the right to an abortion if he felt so strongly. But he like the many others who have held senate seats since the early 70's didn't have the stones to do so and was glad for the cover a misguided SCOTUS ruling gave them.

Is there an epidemic of incest rape in this country I'm not aware of? Maybe in Alabama
My mom's father went to prison for raping her, her two sisters, and several cousins. Pretty sure most rapes are from family members. 1 out of 3 is what I read.

VN Store

Back