The Supreme Court of the United States Thread

Free country and all.
Yeah I get that too. In your previous post you stated that employers prefer them and that is absolutely true. They do because there is little doubt that they will get the more favorable treatment. What I don't like is when you sign a service contract or something like that and the binding arbitration clause is a part of it.

There is so much turnover in wait staff. A handful would quit on a dare. One of the few jobs you can hire on practically anywhere and make cash in 3 to 4 days.

Eta: From my experience 25 yrs ago. Dink or volfanhill probably a better resource.

The industry as a whole has slightly over 100% turnover in a 12 month cycle. Right now it’s so tight many of my locations are down double digit servers. The pendulum is on the employee side of things. In evil lawyers example word would get out fast at a place like TGIF. Managers would all be fired on the spot. Not saying it doesn’t happen but it’s rare if you work for a big operation.

The industry as a whole has slightly over 100% turnover in a 12 month cycle. Right now it’s so tight many of my locations are down double digit servers. The pendulum is on the employee side of things. In evil lawyers example word would get out fast at a place like TGIF. Managers would all be fired on the spot. Not saying it doesn’t happen but it’s rare if you work for a big operation.

Are wages increasing to attract more staff?

For everyone but servers. We have a crunch on management positions as well. We gave a few grand bump to every managers base pay and changed our LTI program for GM’s.

What would you estimate the ave hourly pay including tips for servers is now?

Holy cow...that's good money for serving. Is that industry numbers or numbers for your establishment?

Mine are in the high end bc of volume. But you also have to keep in mind a server shift could be as short as 2.5 hours to 7 hours.

Mine are in the high end bc of volume. But you also have to keep in mind a server shift could be as short as 2.5 hours to 7 hours.

I loved the early evening shift on Friday and Saturday. If the place was busy i could always trade up to a later shift section. Sometimes I closed if it was a really good night.

Anyhow, that is really solid. Someone ambitious could support a family on that amount.

Eta: just realized I derailed thread. Sorry. I really like talking about hospitality work though.

I loved the early evening shift on Friday and Saturday. If the place was busy i could always trade up to a later shift section. Sometimes I closed if it was a really good night.

Anyhow, that is really solid. Someone ambitious could support a family on that amount.

Eta: just realized I derailed thread. Sorry. I really like talking about hospitality work though.

Hats off to you that can do it. I don't have the personality.

But the most contentious appointment would be a second nomination to the highest court in the land. The supreme court has over decades delivered landmark decisions on issues from abortion to affirmative action and same-sex marriage. The potential for Trump to install another justice on the nine-seat bench, some legal experts argue, could have profound consequences on issues ranging from women’s reproductive health to LGBT rights.

With speculation mounting over the possible retirement of supreme court justice Anthony Kennedy, Trump could have a lasting impact on reshaping America’s most important court.

“If President Trump fills another vacancy on the court it will have an enormous effect,” said Erwin Chemerinsky, the dean of Berkeley School of Law at the University of California.

“It will create the most conservative court since the mid-1930s,” he added. “It would mean a majority to overrule Roe v Wade and to allow states to prohibit abortions, to eliminate all forms of affirmative action, to eliminate constitutional limits on illegal police conduct.”

While the likelihood of a pending vacancy is far from confirmed, judicial watchers have set their sights on Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a progressive icon who turned 85 this year, and Kennedy, a critical swing vote who has been the subject of retirement rumors for the second straight year.

Any vacancy prior to 2020 would almost certainly be filled by Trump, and a rules change adopted by Republicans during the Gorsuch nomination fight enabled the Senate to confirm supreme court justices with a simple majority vote.

Liberals' worst nightmare: a second supreme court pick for Trump | Law | The Guardian

This is strange.

The state of Alabama executed convicted murderer Christopher Price last week, just hours after the U.S. Supreme Court refused to grant a stay of execution.

The action was not particularly unusual except for one thing — half of the briefs in the case were blacked out, so the public could not see them, and virtually all of the record in the case was sealed.

It is rare for the Supreme Court to allow such deletions, and on Friday, the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and NPR filed a motion with the Supreme Court requesting it unseal the material that was blocked from public view.

This is strange.

His next-to-final words were "A man is better than his worst mistake." If that's not an admission of guilt, then it doesn't exist. On December 22, 1991, he slashed to death a preacher who was wrapping Christmas presents for his grandchildren. For no reason at all.

I won't lose any sleep over this one, regardless of what the Supreme Court said, redacted or not.

VN Store

Back