The Spring Roster is Upon us

Pardon me if I wait and see the first couple games before saying anything like "3rd most talented in the SEC East". We are looking at a roster with most of our better players gone in the port-hole. I am all for the VOLS, but too many years of hope dashed with reality. And then there are the two basketball teams with a lot of promise crashing and burning in tourneys.

Pardon me if I wait and see the first couple games before saying anything like "3rd most talented in the SEC East". We are looking at a roster with most of our better players gone in the port-hole. I am all for the VOLS, but too many years of hope dashed with reality. And then there are the two basketball teams with a lot of promise crashing and burning in tourneys.
There’s no demand that you parrot the OP...so pardon granted.

There is not a lot of top level SEC talent on this team. To say 8 wins will not be hard is not a realistic statement. Young guys who have not started but showed flashes of being good pales in comparison with SEC teams. Plus, you better have depth and speed all around. Here is an honest take from a big UT fan:

--Offensive line: a lot of guys returning, no all SEC talent there. No depth
--QB: We don't even know who the starter will be. No proven winners here
--RB: We are down to hoping a JUCO is very good. Backups have only shown glimpses of good play
--WR: There is some speed here but none has produced as a proven starter in SEC play. Can Hyatt get off press coverage from best DBs.
--DL: No proven speed rusher, no proven run stopper, no depth
--LB: No starters are returning. No proven consistent success, no depth
--DB: No depth, no proven shut down corner. A lack of SEC speed

Where is all of this great talent that guarantees 8 wins? It's gonna take a couple of years to get to where you can be confident in predicting 8 wins in season.
I don’t know, he seemed pretty confident to me.
I have zero expectations for this season. If this squad wins 8-9 games, I will be extremely pumped.
If this team wins 3 games, I will be disappointed but willing to give Heupel, at least another year to right the ship.😒
GBO!!

Lotsa questions and holes with the roster.

Who if anyone can step up and be a winning SEC QB?

Will Evans be the stud RB we’re hoping he’ll be? 2-3 guys from the RB group will hopefully show talent early, but only Small is proven. I don’t consider Beckwith proven at RB yet.

TE position is thin and not talented (by SEC standard).

OT may be a problem, again. With good health, we can be good at C/G.

Surprised/happy with the veteran DLs that appear to be returning- Middleton, Butler, Solomon, Blakely, Emerson, Bumphus. This will certainly help, even though we appear to still lack a top flight pass rusher. I’m excited to see which of the talented younger DLs step up.

ILB is a problem. I’m not yet sold on Banks. Can Baron continue his progression, and will Roman and Morven be solid this year? These guys all have a lot of talent IMO.

CB is terribly thin. Theo and Tank are a step slow at S, but their experience will help.

Reactions: Backwards K

Reactions: HalfullVol
There is not a lot of top level SEC talent on this team. To say 8 wins will not be hard is not a realistic statement. Young guys who have not started but showed flashes of being good pales in comparison with SEC teams. Plus, you better have depth and speed all around. Here is an honest take from a big UT fan:

--Offensive line: a lot of guys returning, no all SEC talent there. No depth
--QB: We don't even know who the starter will be. No proven winners here
--RB: We are down to hoping a JUCO is very good. Backups have only shown glimpses of good play
--WR: There is some speed here but none has produced as a proven starter in SEC play. Can Hyatt get off press coverage from best DBs.
--DL: No proven speed rusher, no proven run stopper, no depth
--LB: No starters are returning. No proven consistent success, no depth
--DB: No depth, no proven shut down corner. A lack of SEC speed

Where is all of this great talent that guarantees 8 wins? It's gonna take a couple of years to get to where you can be confident in predicting 8 wins in season.

I sent lengthy post before seeing yours. Could have saved a lot of words, by just saying I agree with 90% of your post. Only real diff., I think we do have some DL depth if they stay relatively healthy.

Last edited:
Well, the cupboard isn't empty. There is certainly something to work with. Especially on offense. I wish we had more experience at LB and more bodies on the DL, but I believe we have good talent.

I just have to say this. I REALLY WANT TO SEE LEN'NETH WHITEHEAD TRUCK SOMEONE AT UGA THIS SEASON!! He played at Athens Academy which is probably only 8 miles from Sanford Stadium.

Well, the cupboard isn't empty. There is certainly something to work with. Especially on offense. I wish we had more experience at LB and more bodies on the DL, but I believe we have good talent.

I just have to say this. I REALLY WANT TO SEE LEN'NETH WHITEHEAD TRUCK SOMEONE AT UGA THIS SEASON!! He played at Athens Academy which is probably only 8 miles from Sanford Stadium.
There are more then enough bodies on the dline. Middleton, Solomon, Butler, Bumphus, Blakely, Simmons, Emerson, Thomas, Bailey, Joseph, Baron, Garland, & Washington

Maybe you didn’t get the memo. Pruitt was a ****ing idiot.
No...I was on that distribution list.

I just find it ironic that Butch, who considers himself an offensive guru would leave us without an OL and QB while Pruitt who considers himself a defensive guru would leave us thinnest at DB and LB.

Do people have a blind spot when it comes to honestly evaluating what they believe they do best?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Lotsa questions and holes with the roster.

Who if anyone can step up and be a winning SEC QB?

Will Evans be the stud RB we’re hoping he’ll be? 2-3 guys from the RB group will hopefully show talent early, but only Small is proven. I don’t consider Beckwith proven at RB yet.

TE position is thin and not talented (by SEC standard).

OT may be a problem, again. With good health, we can be good at C/G.

Surprised/happy with the veteran DLs that appear to be returning- Middleton, Butler, Solomon, Blakely, Emerson, Bumphus. This will certainly help, even though we appear to still lack a top flight pass rusher. I’m excited to see which of the talented younger DLs step up.

ILB is a problem. I’m not yet sold on Banks. Can Baron continue his progression, and will Roman and Morven be solid this year? These guys all have a lot of talent IMO.

CB is terribly thin. Theo and Tank are a step slow at S, but their experience will help.
You just described most programs in most years. Only a few are truly "plug and play". One of the great things about CFB compared to the NFL is that every year brings new guys to the front who have never performed before.

There are guys on the DL with a year or two in the program now who have an opportunity. CB is an issue that might push someone from the O to the D or else UT needs to work the portal.

I took an earlier look at what UT had coming back and said UT should be a 6-8 win team against THIS schedule. Nothing in this list pushes me off of that.

We have 71 players including McGrath as I count. Then there are 7 signees. We may also get back Crouch and HT. We could get up to 5 transfers. I believe we have 18 signees or enrollees and two transfers.

That puts us in the 80 something realm.

VN Store

Back