The SEC Could Get Very Interesting

Under current conditions if they both joined the gap between the SEC top teams and bottom teams would widen. The gap is almost insurmountable at this point. It may be time to create a new super conference in college football. Split out the top 6 SEC teams and add Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma (any other team I missed). Let the existing conferences realign. Alabama playing UT Chattanooga should never be allowed, it's absurd.

Hot take: Vandy to the Big East

Vandy would have to be expelled, they are milking their position at the expert level. They use the TV and bowl split plus mens basketball to fund their entire mens and women's sports programs while keeping their overall budget the lowest in the SEC. The athletic department actually contributes to the academic side of the university. They are very satisfied with their position. They have refused to let big money control their actions.

I noticed Erik Gray is on the Doak Walker list.

Probably do the UT thing and win the Heisman since he left us.

Is this Lady Vol news or football news?

Let's see in softball you get 2 more top 10 teams, in basketball you get another top 15 team, in soccer you get another top team. So I would says it's both Lady Vol news and Vol news

Reactions: olddog
With the NCAA's enforcement power negated by the Supreme Court ruling, there is neither the pretense of a level college playing field nor a governing body to manage such an enterprise. Being the most powerful conference, the SEC is choosing -- for better or for worse -- to claim the driver's seat for that post-NCAA world. If Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC, it will become the defacto collegiate athletics organization for Division I sports. Always first in line, always first in demand, always the deciding voice. I don't like the conference getting bloated either. I don't like having 14 teams. I don't like selling out geographical rivalries for TV money. The 12 team SEC was the best SEC. But in this post-amateurism and post-NCAA world, it's going to be eat or be eaten and this insures the SEC will always be the one doing the eating.

Let's see in softball you get 2 more top 10 teams, in basketball you get another top 15 team, in soccer you get another top team. So I would says it's both Lady Vol news and Vol news
And in volleyball you get arguably the best team in the country.

Reactions: olddog
If I’m Tennessee then I look at joining the ACC

Sounds intriguing but you aren't going to want to be there. They will be around but the Big Ten and SEC are about to leave them in the dust money wise.

This is the end game of college athletics as you knew it. 2 super conferences and then everyone else. SEC piece is done...action is going to shift to FOX and the Big Ten now.

I think the Big 12 becomes the Tiny 10 if Texas and Oklahoma leave. I don't know who they could get to keep their status as one of the strongest conferences. The SEC will be the best conference in the nation by far.

VN Store

Back