The SEC Could Get Very Interesting

This rumor should make for a very interesting Big 12 media days. I can't imagine A&M and Mizzou are happy about this at all.

(CAVEAT - This just my opinion)
If this happens (big if because I believe Texas and Oklahoma will deny this), then I think they should just blow up conference football as we know it and go to the regional groupings like some have projected in the past. (AGAIN - This is just my opinion)

I am not a fan of adding any more teams to the SEC. In fact, I am a bit of a traditionalist and not crazy about the last additions.

Business move by Texas, smart to put negotiating power all to them. Oklahoma is the bargaining chip bonus play by letting Texas do all all the dirty work.

1. For the SEC it creates a restructure of television contract payments to each school.
2. Texas lobbies for a new agreement with ESPN/Longhorn Network after contract is up or "dissolution" of the network. Bidding war between SEC and ESPN
3. Power move for Texas to join SEC to break away from NCAA. Add two blue bloods like TX and OK to the SEC puts all the power to Sankey to do what he wants.
4. Chance to walk away and be independent like ND negotiate bigger contract with national schedule.

Oklahoma and Mizzou should join the Big 10. It'll be interesting having Vic and Kim in the SEC though. They won't be able to schedule nothing but cupcakes.

Never thought it was a good move to bring Missouri/TX AM on board with the expansion. Arkansas and SC at the time made a little more sense but still don't bring any value to the league.

From what I remember about it, A&M was so pissed at TX they wanted out of Big 12 and approached SEC which was interested to get footprint in TX. They needed another team to balance and A&M got Mizzou to go along as they were pissed at TX also. Mizzou was happy to go along for the ride and get a part of the SEC $ and upgrade.

And just how many SEC teams could be in the "play-offs"? Two, four or more??? AND could we see a change in the also ran bowls having two SEC teams that hardly ever play each other??

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
From what I remember about it, A&M was so pissed at TX they wanted out of Big 12 and approached SEC which was interested to get footprint in TX. They needed another team to balance and A&M got Mizzou to go along as they were pissed at TX also. Mizzou was happy to go along for the ride and get a part of the SEC $ and upgrade.

AM would try to block Texas on this one, but it would be approved as they only need 75% approval. It's all about money and TV market regardless how they spin is played.

VN Store

Back