The scoop and score ruling…

Lane Kiffin is claiming "several [Tennessee] defenders stopped and heard a whistle too".

Has anyone fact checked that? Or is it more blatant lies to excuse a game-deciding error?

Yet the other refs 10 ft away didn't hear it? Sounds legit

The players can't read a refs mind. You have to whistle or at least signal the play is dead. They did neither. There was no on field indication that the play was dead, therefore the play was live. To overturn a touchdown and rule it specifically in a way that it can't be reviewed after a long huddle up, is straight garbage and incompetence. These are the same guys that forgot to blow the whistle on the Miss State punt but that signaled the play dead with their hands, but then let the touchdown stand. In our game they did the opposite, no whistle or no signal that the play was dead and then took the touchdown away.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Blonde Donde and White Danny are so pissed at the blown scoop and score that got called back that they are going to pay Akron $100,000 not to play next year and offering Maryville College $1,000,000 to play in their place, cutting off all hot dog condiments at halftime, cutting off all beer sales right after the invocation, and scanning video of the Ole Miss game to look for well dressed and well behaved fans they can raise their seat prices to $15,000 a seat, rather that the scheduled and announced $7,500 a seat.

Our leadership should be raising holy hell with the SEC, but they let the fans do it and then tell us how awful and embarrassing we are.

I will acknowledge that the spot was correct...ish on the 4th down play. However, the scoop and score ruling was straight up Bull$hit. The refs know it as well as the SEC office. It's all CYA at this point.
I agree 100%

Reactions: I4Vols
I don’t buy into any of the conspiracy theories about how they are trying to screw us. Just saying they put the crew in this game that screwed up the Auburn Penn State game.

Two different crews. This was the crew that screwed up in the Memphis-Mississippi St game.

Reactions: WestTnVFL971
So was it a trick play and Corral was kind of hiding the ball? We didn't get fooled but the refs did?
Exactly. I thought it was weird when it happened. He acted like he didn't have the ball or possibly the play was dead (like he heard a whistle), but it was an act either way. Our players didn't fall for it.

I have not seen the play yet. Video?
Replay

I’d like to see a better quality video on youtube (and one that includes the officials’ explanation). But from the replay you can clearly see kiffin is wrong about UT players stopping because they heard a whistle too. Nobody on the field stopped except Matt corrall. It really just looked like a hard play action or broken Statue of Liberty play where we got in the QBs face way before he was expecting it, and he just froze.

After the play kiffin was working the refs and it did look like he was trying to say corral heard a whistle. I think corral and kiffin were grasping at straws, but may have succeeded. IMO the refs were fooled by the play action, had no idea what was going on or what to do, and decided giving us the ball but not the points was a fair compromise.

Exactly. I thought it was weird when it happened. He acted like he didn't have the ball or possibly the play was dead (like he heard a whistle), but it was an act either way. Our players didn't fall for it.

It was a designed play. The idea was that Corral would fake that handoff and hide the ball on his back hip, the running back would hit the pile (obviously not making the first down), and the defensive backs would "let up" because they saw the action went to the pocket. It's a super short yardage situation so a run is expected after all. Then your receivers take off behind the now-standing defensive backs, your quarterback suddenly produces the ball, and pitches it down the field for a wide open touchdown. Perfect plan except that Tennessee's defenders didn't bite at all, wrapped up Corral for a strip sack, and carried that ball into the end zone for SIX POINTS.

Reactions: saxvol and wesley21
I heard that sometimes the refs let it play out in order to not accidentally rule out a fumble that is real. Think back several years, Vandy got hosed in a game against us (which was a good thing!) and ran back a fumble where they whistled the play dead prematurely. That was the only way ole Dools could beat Vandy that year (2011 I think). It wasn't a good look for our program but our HBC acted like he had won the super bowl.

Anyway....this is an argument being offered. I still say BS. If forward progress was stopped, it would have had to be prior to the fumble, right? Or did they decide that his forward progress was stopped AS he fumbled? It doesn't make any sense

Here is what I think. The fake was very good. I was fooled. Go back and watch, the cameraman was fooled also. The refs were fooled as well. They probably didn't realize that Corrall even had the ball till it popped out, and then they were like "oh **** maybe we should have called forward progress".

But they should not get a do-over. No whistle, no stop to the play. Such BS.
I’m trying to remember if after the fact, the ball was spotted at the original line of scrimmage orbif the play resulted in lost yardage?
I was losing my mind at the time and really can’t remember the next play.
GBO!!

Replay

I’d like to see a better quality video on youtube (and one that includes the officials’ explanation). But from the replay you can clearly see kiffin is wrong about UT players stopping because they heard a whistle too. Nobody on the field stopped except Matt corrall. It really just looked like a hard play action or broken Statue of Liberty play where we got in the QBs face way before he was expecting it, and he just froze.

After the play kiffin was working the refs and it did look like he was trying to say corral heard a whistle. I think corral and kiffin were grasping at straws, but may have succeeded. IMO the refs were fooled by the play action, had no idea what was going on or what to do, and decided giving us the ball but not the points was a fair compromise.
And imo, Corral was hiding the ball.
GBO!!

I honestly think even the refs thought the running back had the ball. If they did call forward progress it wasn’t on the quarterback. They looked surprised when UT stripped the ball from Corral. How is it UT’s fault that the referee couldn’t follow the play?

People, THERE WAS NO FUMBLE, IT WAS 4th down, that’s why we got the ball. They ruled the play dead, no fumble, turnover on downs

The play action obviously had the refs in a daze. Anyway, Corral was not really in the grasp or even moving forward. They grabbed him and he dropped the ball. I think that was definitely a scoop and score. He wasn't moving forward in any way shape or form and there was no whistle. That was a hose job.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Watch Josh Pate on 24\7 sports on youtube. After talking about game and denouncing the fans for throwing things he said, now what I'm about to say next is not condoning fan behavior as I just talked about that,but the SEC has a BIG problem! We're a billion dollar brand and want to lead college football, but we have nickel and dime officiating and its a huge problem! Something has to be done! He said five hours before the game when they got their game cards and everyone saw what crew was assigned their were conversations all over the room about how that crew got assigned to a game waiting for a fuse to be lit. But good old SEC sent their worst crew in to screw up the game. At some point these guys need to be held accountable like NFL refs are! Its horrible!

There's no excuse got the classless fan actions later in the game. But the 4th quarter call was just a spark, and probably the right call. But close.

This play in the first quarter was the gasoline. All the flopping just added to it.

VN Store

Back