The Runner's thread

anybody ran in Newton shoes? They look pretty nice, pricey. Worth it?
I’ve been running in the Gravities since the original version and won’t run in any other shoes. They’re definitely not for everyone and they require a somewhat lengthy break in period so you don’t destroy your calf/soleus muscles. They’re a minimalist shoe that is very light and responsive which I personally really like because I always hated feeling like I was having to carry the extra weight of some big clunky cushioned shoe. I also really like their durability and can typically get around 600-700 miles out of a pair. If you’ve run in a minimalist shoe in the past then I’d say go for it, but if this is your first venture I might look at something like the Kinvara.

Reactions: bignewt
I’ve been running in the Gravities since the original version and won’t run in any other shoes. They’re definitely not for everyone and they require a somewhat lengthy break in period so you don’t destroy your calf/soleus muscles. They’re a minimalist shoe that is very light and responsive which I personally really like because I always hated feeling like I was having to carry the extra weight of some big clunky cushioned shoe. I also really like their durability and can typically get around 600-700 miles out of a pair. If you’ve run in a minimalist shoe in the past then I’d say go for it, but if this is your first venture I might look at something like the Kinvara.
Thanks for the info!

anybody ran in Newton shoes? They look pretty nice, pricey. Worth it?

I love my Newtons. Currently running in the fate. @G8rh8r is correct though, it helps to be a mid-front foot striker. I'm still easing back into things and the lugs on the Gravity that I typically wore were just too much. I'm currently running in the Newton Fates and On Running Cloudflyers. Both are pricier than Brooks/Saucony/Asics/etc, but I find I might be lucky to get 300 miles out of those brands, I get at least 500 in Newtons and Ons.

Reactions: bignewt
Today was much cooler. Only 71 when I finished. Here’s what I get to see as I run from the Pentagon to the MallView attachment 229257View attachment 229258View attachment 229259View attachment 229259View attachment 229260View attachment 229261
I have never considered myself a "runner". I have always been a bigger guy (HS lineman). When I was in college, I co-oped at NHTSA, about a block away from the air and space museum. I became friends with a guy I kept running into the gym upstairs and he convinced me to start running with him. We had a 5 mile loop that started at the air and space museum, wrapped around the capitol reflecting pool, then down the mall and around the Lincoln Memorial and back to the air and space museum. It was such a cool experience to run past so much history. Also, the best shape I have ever been in. We did 15 miles a week.

I have recently decided that I am going to fight my inner lazy slob and start running again. Being as out of shape as I am, I started doing "Couch to 5K". I am 5 weeks into the program. My goal is to be able to do 5K 3 times a week.

I have never considered myself a "runner". I have always been a bigger guy (HS lineman). When I was in college, I co-oped at NHTSA, about a block away from the air and space museum. I became friends with a guy I kept running into the gym upstairs and he convinced me to start running with him. We had a 5 mile loop that started at the air and space museum, wrapped around the capitol reflecting pool, then down the mall and around the Lincoln Memorial and back to the air and space museum. It was such a cool experience to run past so much history. Also, the best shape I have ever been in. We did 15 miles a week.

I have recently decided that I am going to fight my inner lazy slob and start running again. Being as out of shape as I am, I started doing "Couch to 5K". I am 5 weeks into the program. My goal is to be able to do 5K 3 times a week.
Good luck vader! I have no doubt you can do it! The Mall run is soooooo inspiring!

Good luck vader! I have no doubt you can do it! The Mall run is soooooo inspiring!
Thanks! I love the Mall. I am so grateful that my co-op took me to D.C. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

Speaking of running, a friend of mine just completed a full year of 5Ks. He ran 5K 365 days in a row. Seems a bit nuts to me, but I admire his dedication.

Since I started running again last May (after 20 years off), my favorite runs were on the mall in DC (before sunrise), around the LSU lakes, and along Old Hickory Lake. I travel a decent amount, and Under Armour has an app where other folks (mostly locals) map out their runs. I use those. They usually have cool routes.

Reactions: volfanbill
Since I started running again last May (after 20 years off), my favorite runs were on the mall in DC (before sunrise), around the LSU lakes, and along Old Hickory Lake. I travel a decent amount, and Under Armour has an app where other folks (mostly locals) map out their runs. I use those. They usually have cool routes.
MapMyRun is fantastic

Well, I’m off until the 24th of April with schools closed. I have been doing yoga since December, and my knees feel pretty good. I’m hoping with this time, I could pick running back up. How hard should I go? Should I just shoot for a mile at first?

VN Store

Back