The Runner's thread

Now that the weather will be cooler soon, I'm going to start running a lot more and get back into training regularly. I think it might incorporate a 6-7 month training cycle that incorporates a half marathon late 2019 and a full marathon in Q1 2020.

Reactions: franklinpence
In DC for meetings and did an early run on the Mall. Just getting back into running, and for all of my trips up here over the years, this is my first run in DC. Pretty special place to get a run in.
we literally might've passed each other today. But looking at your time, I was out there when you posted this. I run from the Pentagon to the National Mall a lot.

we literally might've passed each other today. But looking at your time, I was out there when you posted this. I run from the Pentagon to the National Mall a lot.

Shocked by how hot it is this week. Had to go early to avoid the heat. Kind of jealous that you get to run this area often. Don’t think I could live here, but definitely appreciate the importance of the area.

Shocked by how hot it is this week. Had to go early to avoid the heat. Kind of jealous that you get to run this area often. Don’t think I could live here, but definitely appreciate the importance of the area.
Today was much cooler. Only 71 when I finished. Here’s what I get to see as I run from the Pentagon to the Mall2C1FB199-2DE2-4ED5-A95B-2A7CFBF579AB.jpeg6A75D494-6067-46DA-91C2-77E3A5942AEE.jpeg84BD389E-20F5-4D07-9A9C-0951D08E9EF3.jpeg84BD389E-20F5-4D07-9A9C-0951D08E9EF3.jpeg87DE857C-68B5-4CE2-B829-91A09ED33F16.jpeg956F6050-8373-4DD6-976F-6F17C7931193.jpeg

Just registered for a 15k this weekend. Should be a good opportunity to set a baseline for half marathon tempo runs.

Ankle feels great. Lazy lol

My ankle is still a work in progress. But I hate not being able to run, so I'm trying to find the balance between not pushing too hard and still strengthening/making improvement. Had quite a bit of Achilles tightness today.

oh, and I'm slow. 11-12 min/mile slow. That's gotta change too.

Ended up running the 15k at a pace of just over 8 minutes a mile. That's a good tempo pace for my half marathon training. If I had to go the full 13.1 today, I'm very confident I could have finished under 2 hours. Excited to see how quick I can run 13.3, then have a stretch goal of a sub 4 hour 26.2 race.

Reactions: franklinpence
My ankle is still a work in progress. But I hate not being able to run, so I'm trying to find the balance between not pushing too hard and still strengthening/making improvement. Had quite a bit of Achilles tightness today.

oh, and I'm slow. 11-12 min/mile slow. That's gotta change too.
TBH, I'm a little nervous to try again. Not that I was a special runner, but I wasn't half bad. I don't think I can accept not being the same, I'm ultra competitive

TBH, I'm a little nervous to try again. Not that I was a special runner, but I wasn't half bad. I don't think I can accept not being the same, I'm ultra competitive
I got back to almost where I was after my calf tear. This is taking a lot longer than I anticipated and does have me quite nervous about the same. It’s been like golf. Feels like 5 set backs followed by something amazing that brings me back. Kinda like playing a horrible round and then chipping in for birdie on 18

Reactions: YankeeVol
I got back to almost where I was after my calf tear. This is taking a lot longer than I anticipated and does have me quite nervous about the same. It’s been like golf. Feels like 5 set backs followed by something amazing that brings me back. Kinda like playing a horrible round and then chipping in for birdie on 18

Calf tear? That sounds horrible. Really impressed you’re back at it. I would be very tempted to completely hang it up. Hell - I took the better part of 20 years off from exercising and had no injury to point to. Seriously - way to go man.

Calf tear? That sounds horrible. Really impressed you’re back at it. I would be very tempted to completely hang it up. Hell - I took the better part of 20 years off from exercising and had no injury to point to. Seriously - way to go man.

The calf tear was in like 2015. Now I'm coming back from ligament tears in my ankle. It's not fun.

4 miles today. 8:20 per. This is sad to admit given that I’ll be 43 next month, but that is the longest distance I have ever run.

Anyone going to the Oklahoma game with the intention of finding a race near by? I have been unsuccessful in my endeavors to find one that weekend.

Anyone going to the Oklahoma game with the intention of finding a race near by? I have been unsuccessful in my endeavors to find one that weekend.
doesn't look like it's been scheduled yet, but there's a Devil Dog Half Marathon at Fort Sill typically around that time frame.

anybody ran in Newton shoes? They look pretty nice, pricey. Worth it?

Newtons are meant to encourage a midfoot strike. If you are a midfoot striker, you’ll love them. If you aren’t, you will find them akin to those sketchers rocker shoes that were all the trend ten years ago. The lugs on the sole take a while to get used to. I’ve worn them and they are ok....and I’m a midfoot striker myself. Try them before buying

Reactions: bignewt

VN Store

Back