The Runner's thread

5.5 miles of a rough trail run.
Ive never been into trail running but qualified for a 31 mile trail in January during a recent marathon. Got alot of work to do, trail running is alot different than road running. I knew it would be just didnt know how much.

Any tips?
Just keep running

Reactions: volfannbama
5.5 miles of a rough trail run.
Ive never been into trail running but qualified for a 31 mile trail in January during a recent marathon. Got alot of work to do, trail running is alot different than road running. I knew it would be just didnt know how much.

Any tips?

Depending on the terrain, you might want some dedicated trail shoes. I've been quite happy with my Salomon SpeedCross4s: cleat-like traction and good cushioning (esp nice if you are stepping on erosion-exposed roots, rocks, etc). The only thing I miss is the pronation support in my dedicated running shoes.

Depending on the terrain, you might want some dedicated trail shoes. I've been quite happy with my Salomon SpeedCross4s: cleat-like traction and good cushioning (esp nice if you are stepping on erosion-exposed roots, rocks, etc). The only thing I miss is the pronation support in my dedicated running shoes.
Altra Lone Peaks or GTFO :p

For real though, Salomons are a solid choice as well

Thanks, I bought some sacouny trail shoes cause they were on sale. They are good. If I like the trails ill get some salomon, ive heard nothing but good things.

Reactions: kiddiedoc
5.5 miles from the Pentagon, through the National Mall and back. There’s a lot I hate about working here, but I take a lot of EXTREMELY cool things for granted.

Reactions: volfannbama
I don't think any of that stuff really helps (reflective or light). I know it doesn't on motorcycles which is why the Army dropped it.
I’m going to disagree. The lit up runners I see at night on relay races are crazy visible. I have a few lights I can strap on and it’s not the same. Not even close

Almost everyone had one at the Bourbon Chase Ragnar

Edit: I think you still are required to have a headlamp
Yeah, several people wore them, but to start the race I did everyone had to have a reflective vest.

How was that BC ragnar? Id love to do that.

Yeah, several people wore them, but to start the race I did everyone had to have a reflective vest.

How was that BC ragnar? Id love to do that.
Some of my team only had the noxgear. We were van 2 so maybe the first safety brief is a little stricter.

I had a blast. Our first van was Uber serious and we deemed ourselves van “just in time”. Other than our dedicated driver being a dumb***, it was a blast. And honestly, the way we united against our driver brought the group closer. Weird. You had to be there. I don’t drink but I’m a nerd, so seeing how bourbon is made was cool.

I started running about two weeks ago as I'm training for the Knoxville half marathon at the end of March. Unfortunately, I have strained my Achilles on my right leg. Not acutely painful, but definitely noticeable. I don't want the injury to be serious, but I'm wary of taking too much time off to heal...any suggestions? Been RICEing for the past couple days. Seems to only happen when I run about 5 miles. On shorter runs, all good.

The only realistic fix is rest. Steroid injections will relieve pain, but I wouldn't recommend that for a recent strain.

I started running about two weeks ago as I'm training for the Knoxville half marathon at the end of March. Unfortunately, I have strained my Achilles on my right leg. Not acutely painful, but definitely noticeable. I don't want the injury to be serious, but I'm wary of taking too much time off to heal...any suggestions? Been RICEing for the past couple days. Seems to only happen when I run about 5 miles. On shorter runs, all good.
I use a foam roll daily. It's painful in a good way but I stay injury free, thankfully.

Runners! I need help. I'm prepping for a 10k but may have fudged myself up a few weeks ago. I made a dumb move and went from virtually no real running to running a 5k just to see if I could. I did it but my ankle joint and Achilles area has been bothering me ever since. Anyone know what this could be?

Runners! I need help. I'm prepping for a 10k but may have fudged myself up a few weeks ago. I made a dumb move and went from virtually no real running to running a 5k just to see if I could. I did it but my ankle joint and Achilles area has been bothering me ever since. Anyone know what this could be?
Get a towel and strech it every single day. You can google several stretches, doing them with a towel helps get a better stretch.
Those little massage / foam rollers help too, I use them all the time.
Ice and compression like cep socks help too.
Lastly watch your mileage and dont increase too much each week.

Good luck and let me know how it goes. Im 25 days from an ultra marathon and took 54 minutes off my marathon time from March to Oct last year.

VN Store

Back