The Runner's thread

Stopped running for a while but the past 2 weekends I've run my fastest 5k's in over 2 decades. 24:24 last weekend and 24:31 today. Not bad for an old man :)

Stopped running for a while but the past 2 weekends I've run my fastest 5k's in over 2 decades. 24:24 last weekend and 24:31 today. Not bad for an old man :)

I just started trying again. I'll never be a runner, but I would like to be able to do a 5k without thinking I'm dying.

I need a shoe recommendation. I currently have a pair of Brooks Ghost, don’t know the #. They feel like cinder blocks. I also have a pair of Nike free run that I like. I wouldn’t run more than 4-5 miles in them tho. I want a cushioned yet light weight shoe. The kicker is I need a size 15. Go!

I need a shoe recommendation. I currently have a pair of Brooks Ghost, don’t know the #. They feel like cinder blocks. I also have a pair of Nike free run that I like. I wouldn’t run more than 4-5 miles in them tho. I want a cushioned yet light weight shoe. The kicker is I need a size 15. Go!

Do you know your foot type/arch? It might be worth having a running store fit you, if you haven't done so before.

Personally, I have a flat arch with a fair amount of over-pronation. I have tried a number of other shoes, but I always end up back with Asics Kayanos.

having a running store fit you is always the right answer. It doesn't matter whether you wear a size 8 or a size 15. Arch, pronation, stride, etc are the important pieces in finding a shoe, not just something in a size 15.

Do you know your foot type/arch? It might be worth having a running store fit you, if you haven't done so before.

Personally, I have a flat arch with a fair amount of over-pronation. I have tried a number of other shoes, but I always end up back with Asics Kayanos.

Neutral with stability. My aunt is a PT and that is the shoe style she has always recommended for me.

having a running store fit you is always the right answer. It doesn't matter whether you wear a size 8 or a size 15. Arch, pronation, stride, etc are the important pieces in finding a shoe, not just something in a size 15.

Neutral with stability. Looking for recommendation on a lightweight shoe is all.

Neutral with stability. Looking for recommendation on a lightweight shoe is all.

I love the Brooks Pure Series. I'd look at the Pure Flow. I wear the PureCadences because I need a little stability. The Brooks Pure Series are INCREDIBLY light. They are my speed and short distance work shoe.

I also really like Newtons and On Running. Both of them are a little weird though. Newton Running has these "pods" on the front of the soles. They're kind of long, rectangular shaped cleats if you will. Four of them running parallel to one another. Really helps promote a midfoot strike.

I think there's a picture of my On Running Cloudflyers on here somewhere. I don't even know how to describe them. But they are my favorite long run shoes I've ever owned. Both Newtons and Ons are considerable more expensive however ($150-175), but last much longer. In Newtons you would probably either want the Gravity model or the Fate series.

Just my two cents.

VN Store

Back