The Rock/Metal Thread

I'm really digging Dream Theaters new single "Falling Into The Light." Its by far my favorite DT song since Mike Man-gina joined the band.

His playing is great so far on the new tracks. He’s been very hampered and mostly been told what to play by Petrucci and Rudess to the point that people think he’s been tempted to leave the band.

His playing is great so far on the new tracks. He’s been very hampered and mostly been told what to play by Petrucci and Rudess to the point that people think he’s been tempted to leave the band.

My question is, who died and left Rudess in charge? Hes not even the original keyboardist in the band and he conducts himself like he's in complete charge. I dont even like him to be honest. In fact I kind of wish DT would just ditch keyboards altogether because i get sick of Rudess' ridiculous solos.

My question is, who died and left Rudess in charge? Hes not even the original keyboardist in the band and he conducts himself like he's in complete charge. I dont even like him to be honest. In fact I kind of wish DT would just ditch keyboards altogether because i get sick of Rudess' ridiculous solos.
I think Petrucci gave him full control. They’ve been running the show. I think Labrie has really tried to make it more of a group effort. When I go back and listen to the albums with Kevin Moore and Derek Sherinan, I realize the songs were much better, and I think a big part of that is those guys did more to color and compliment the music whereas Rudess completely takes over a piece much of the time. He’s ruined songs on 6 Degrees and Train of Thought by adding a humorous part in the middle of a serious song, and I can’t believe the band allowed stuff like that. I fully expect him to add fart sounds in a piece some day.

I think Petrucci gave him full control. They’ve been running the show. I think Labrie has really tried to make it more of a group effort. When I go back and listen to the albums with Kevin Moore and Derek Sherinan, I realize the songs were much better, and I think a big part of that is those guys did more to color and compliment the music whereas Rudess completely takes over a piece much of the time. He’s ruined songs on 6 Degrees and Train of Thought by adding a humorous part in the middle of a serious song, and I can’t believe the band allowed stuff like that. I fully expect him to add fart sounds in a piece some day.

Agreed 100%.

Sorry, I didn't intend to turn this into a piss on DT thread LOL! They're still one of my favorite bands and I LOVE what I've heard so far with the new album. I cannot wait to hear the whole thing.

Reactions: davethevol
Took the family downtown to the College Football HOF in Atlanta..cruising along..all is quiet..9 year old nephew says "Its too quiet in here. Uncle Jonathan, can you play some Emperor"? Me, "Of course I can buddy!!"..much to the chagrin of the other 4 people in the truck.

I think I’ve asked this question before, but just in case.......
Any ideas on new bands that have an 80’s “Hair/Glam Band” sound?

Thanks.......

Thanks.......
Steel Panther, but they are incredibly vulgar. They’re a joke band spoofing that stuff and they incredibly talented musicians.

Reactions: peaygolf
Steel Panther, but they are incredibly vulgar. They’re a joke band spoofing that stuff and they incredibly talented musicians.
X2

They nail the look and sound and I also think they are really talented musicians but yeah, they are not family friendly music.

Check out the song Glory Hole to see what davethevol is talking about.

Thanks.......

These guys are one of THE most authentically 80's sounding rock bands I've heard. I like Steel Panther ok. I've seen them live a couple of times and it's a fun show. My problem with Steel Panther is that they are nothing more than a goof band, like Spinal Tap. While they are unquestionably talented, I feel like they are simply there to make fun of the 80's and be irreverent. Plus I don't think their songs are particularly good other than for a laugh. I feel like Crazy Lixx pays more respect to the 80's and cares more about the authenticity. Steel Panther is an extreme cartoonish representation of the 80's glam metal scene.

[youtube]
[youtube]
[youtube]
[youtube]

These guys are one of THE most authentically 80's sounding rock bands I've heard. I like Steel Panther ok. I've seen them live a couple of times and it's a fun show. My problem with Steel Panther is that they are nothing more than a goof band, like Spinal Tap. While they are unquestionably talented, I feel like they are simply there to make fun of the 80's and be irreverent. Plus I don't think their songs are particularly good other than for a laugh. I feel like Crazy Lixx pays more respect to the 80's and cares more about the authenticity. Steel Panther is an extreme cartoonish representation of the 80's glam metal scene.

[youtube]
[youtube]
[youtube]
[youtube]

Thanks!

VN Store

Back