The Rock/Metal Thread

Serious question, those of you on this thread who actually like these harsh sounding cookie monster death/black metal vocals, what exactly do you find appealing about that sound? Did you like it right away or did you have to make yourself acquire a taste for it? Can you actually understand WTF they're saying or do you rely on lyric sheets? The reason I ask is I've tried! I have tried at various times in my life to "get" this kind of metal and I've never been successful. What am I missing? I just find that vocal style irritating at hell and after a few songs I have to turn it off. Musically I think a lot of it sounds badass but the minute the "singer" opens his mouth I tune out and immediately want to wash my ears out with some Judas Priest or Iron Maiden or Sabbath. And its not for a lack of trying. I've tried listening to everything from In Flames to Amon Amarth. From Gojira to Mayhem. From Slayer to Slipknot and several others as well. I've exposed myself to enough of it where I can honestly say it's not from a lack of trying. It kind of frustrates me actually because I've always prided myself on being a musically open minded person and I can usually find stuff I like in all genres of music. However this is the one genre where I have flat out been unsuccessful.

My favorite band right now is Our Last Night. They have a perfect blend of clean and dirty vocals. Some songs have a lot of screaming but it's still clear and sounds good. Trevor also switches styles of his screaming and will even scream-rap and slip in and out of clean/dirty vocals. The majority of their songs are about 80% clean vs 20% dirty vocals with great guitar and drums.

I also like bands like Breaking Benjamin, Beartooth and I Prevail that blend. I'm not a big fan of the growl metal.

Ok I'm done. These guys have 6 albums I love and about 50 great covers. They are F'n amazing live and are independent....they deserve tons of success....genuinely good guys who interact and meet with fans a lot. Only band with over 100 songs I jam and they are only in their 20's so years of good music ahead. I Prevail also really good but just getting started. Hope some of you guys enjoyed their music.

Reactions: ACvol3
The grooves and atmospheric parts are cool, just not a huge fan of the pop punk vocals

I didn't at first...had to grow on me. Their original music has less of that. They used to be all hardcore screaming when they were young teenagers. The covers were/are a way of getting exposure and generating YouTube money when they left their label in 2013. I do love hearing them turn rap songs into metal/punk.

Ok I'm done. These guys have 6 albums I love and about 50 great covers. They are F'n amazing live and are independent....they deserve tons of success....genuinely good guys who interact and meet with fans a lot. Only band with over 100 songs I jam and they are only in their 20's so years of good music ahead. I Prevail also really good but just getting started. Hope some of you guys enjoyed their music.
I’ve listened to them for a while now.. I think they’re killer. I’ve always been a fan of covers. Fame on Fire is another band I listen to a lot

Reactions: gainesvol82
I’ve listened to them for a while now.. I think they’re killer. I’ve always been a fan of covers. Fame on Fire is another band I listen to a lot

Yes, really like Fame On Fire too. Good covers and Her Eyes is a freaking awesome song. I'm going to see Rise Against next Saturday. Not metal but hard rock/new punk. Should be a good show.

Reactions: ACvol3
Yes, really like Fame On Fire too. Good covers and Her Eyes is a freaking awesome song. I'm going to see Rise Against next Saturday. Not metal but hard rock/new punk. Should be a good show.
That’ll be awesome. Rise Against has been doing it for a long time and I still listen to them

Reactions: gainesvol82

VN Store

Back