The real issue

I never claimed to be important or a celebrity just a guy that played Football on a high level with knowledge of the game.

That right there is how I will have a clue about you. threads on here I scroll through very quickly not reading 50 to 75% of posters, only keeping my eye open to a select few posters, and those posters I stop and read. I have about 6 to 8 posters that I look for or use the search function for so I can see what they have to say. I suspect they either played, or they are very level headed and in control of themselves and are therefore capable of dropping wisdom I can utilize.

I'll definitely keep my eye on you from now on and I think I'll be able to tell if you played. I've noticed a couple posters on here that I suspect have played at a high level, or have a good basic understanding of of the game, and I've noticed that they don't post much. A couple others do post a little more. The depth of football is something that takes a ton of time and hard work to begin to understand and most people don't have the time or desire to learn the depths of the game, so those few in the know just drop a nugget here and there and don't bother trying to teach the game ( the basics or the depth of the game ) because it's useless. People don't have the time or energy or means to actually learn. All jmo anyway

@Eastknox865 in summary, I don't need you to post who you are or a game worn jersey or anything of that nature lol...your wisdom of the game will give you away, one way or the other, imo

I never claimed to be important or a celebrity just a guy that played Football on a high level with knowledge of the game.

For what it's worth, I believe you. I was trying to make a broader point, not one aimed directly at you. My smart-assed attempt at humor probably didn't help.

I think you make a good point and I would agree with you whether you played or not. I'm just pointing out that we have had people who pretended to be something they're not in order to give their opinions more credibility. So those of us who have been around here for a while will probably not always take things at face value. It sucks, but that's the world we live in. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eastknox865
For what it's worth, I believe you. I was trying to make a broader point, not one aimed directly at you. My smart-assed attempt at humor probably didn't help.

I think you make a good point and I would agree with you whether you played or not. I'm just pointing out that we have had people who pretended to be something they're not in order to give their opinions more credibility. So those of us who have been around here for a while will probably not always take things at face value. It sucks, but that's the world we live in. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

"The problem with [posts] on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." -Abraham Lincoln

The only linemen with SEC size we have is Trey Smith. I was somewhat shocked honestly. I just pulled up the depth chart for this week vs MO. Our OL averages less than 300 pounds.

Not buying the system these guys are not physical and to be honest just soft. I actually played Football it's not that difficult. If you don't know who to hit just hit somebody. This line doesn't like contact. Pay attention to this Saturday, on running plays while 5 players takle our back or wr you'll see at least 3 of our offensive linemen just standing there watching instead of hitting somebody. Just watch and tell me if I'm wrong. That's mindset not system.

Yep... You hit the nail squarely on the head! This is what I've been seeing all season. Some of the linemen have been standing around during plays without touching anyone, and at the end of games you look at their uniforms and wonder when the game is going to start because they are clean as a whistle! It has been mind-boggling! I don't know how CJP has kept from blowing his head gasket during games watching those guys just milling about during plays, walking around as if they are shopping at the farmers market. We even saw some of this at the Kentucky game... which was our best played game this year, but could have been MUCH better if some of those guys hadn't acted like prima donnas and had done some hitting on the line. Like EastKnox865 said, "If you don't know who to hit... heck... hit whoever comes into sight!" Just hit any opposing player and knock his butt to the ground instead of wandering around like an orange and white stripped zombie... yeah, make the Big Orange a team to be feared once again., and that will have to be earned by our players by the hard hitting, great execution, not making stupid mistakes, and not getting those idiotic personal fouls at the end of plays for taunting opposing players. We lost to WVA, FL and USCe by shooting ourselves in the foot and letting the game get away from us. We lost to GA, BAMA, and MIZZOU by just getting our butts beaten and with the help of the 12th man (terrible SEC refs).

Bottom line though, if we want a running game, that will not happen until we have OLmen who will hit DL and LB to clear the way for our RB. Otherwise, we will be just like KY and be one dimensional... very predictable... and therefore... VERY beatable.

We need OL and DL, we just don't have enough depth on the DL and we tire out fast, the OL IS A MESS and the coaches are getting all they can get out of them, we need 2 more recruiting classes to dress the issue, look at the O-LINEMEN'S that we have lost over the last 2 to 3 year's.
šŸ˜¢, but true.

Windrider,if you don't have years to wait,then go.Windrider translates to "fairweather".That what you feel on your backside is the door hitting you.

Not buying the system these guys are not physical and to be honest just soft. I actually played Football it's not that difficult. If you don't know who to hit just hit somebody. This line doesn't like contact. Pay attention to this Saturday, on running plays while 5 players takle our back or wr you'll see at least 3 of our offensive linemen just standing there watching instead of hitting somebody. Just watch and tell me if I'm wrong. That's mindset not system.
I saw Chandler duck in behind an offensive lineman to keep from blocking the blitzing safety on the play JG got hurt

I saw Chandler duck in behind an offensive lineman to keep from blocking the blitzing safety on the play JG got hurt
I didn't watch the coaching show and I have not seen any comments on the play in respect to who missed what assignment. However, I have been watching TC play since he was a freshman in high school. He is not scared to hit or be hit.

The real problem with this team is Butch recruited small linemen with the thought of adding weight and they could be a fast athletic group. Small athletic linemen are not big uglies at all. An offensive lineman should play violent but these guys are not built that way. The other issue I see is the overall team speed or lack of. The WR as a unit are very slow, the linebackers are very slow, the defensive ends omg they couldn't catch my grandmother. Coaches have made some mistakes yes but you can't make a UNIT who isn't big and mean to play violent. You can't make slow guys faster. Combine those issues with mental mistakes and turnovers you have the 2018 Tennessee VOLS. Recruiting is the key, the problem for us as fans we have been stuck in a 10 year rebuilding process.
Thereā€™s one thing you canā€™t teach and that is speed. Multiple units across the board are at subpar speed wise. Iā€™ll keep saying this all year long, the recruits that Pruitt have brought in are our play makers outside of chandler and the WRS.

You didnt play football very well if your blocking philosophy was just to "hit somebody" Knowing who to block is more important than being big and strong. Simply getting a body in the way of the correct defender will often be enough to give the runner or passer time to do their job.

Just "blocking somebody" makes an offense go backwards.

Last edited:
You response points out what many on here have been been shouting all year. Continuity and time will be the answer, over and over and over......

Continuity; doesnt that cause coaches to get complacent and programs stagnant? Seems that what a staff in Knoxville was accused of a few years back. The HC didnt believe in firing guys will nilly so he got fired.

This happens all the time. They are not ducking behind the OL to intentionally miss a block. That is how playaction works. You try to draw the blitzer to to the line after the RB instead of the QB. It works when you have an OL with a pluse.

This happens all the time. They are not ducking behind the OL to intentionally miss a block. That is how playaction works. You try to draw the blitzer to to the line after the RB instead of the QB. It works when you have an OL with a pluse.

But it's a real minus if you don't...

VN Store

Back