The real issue

With all due respect to anyone who posts here, I don't believe anyone should expect to be given any acknowledgement of bona fides based on an anonymous posting on a message board. No offense, but we have been fooled before. And if it's the point you're making that's really important (and not your identity), then that's good enough for me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my non-specifically awesome real life that you would all be very impressed with and also quite envious of.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
With all due respect to anyone who posts here, I don't believe anyone should expect to be given any acknowledgement of bona fides based on an anonymous posting on a message board. No offense, but we have been fooled before. And if it's the point you're making that's really important (and not your identity), then that's good enough for me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my non-specifically awesome real life that you would all be very impressed with and also quite envious of.
I never claimed to be important or a celebrity just a guy that played Football on a high level with knowledge of the game.

Really what difference does it make who I am. Im pointing out problems to fans who may not understand. Why do people on here take something meaningful and turn it into something pointless.
I'm Coach Phillip Fulmer of the University of Tennessee Volunteers (can't you just hear this in my voice?) and I approve this message.

The real issue is the buffoon that hired the buffoon that hired the buffoons.

That is exactly our problem. The problem was not firing Fulmer who was getting lazy, but having the wrong people in place when you had to make that decision to find a replacement. Kiffin should have never been on the table. He is a good offensive coordinator but not a P5 head coach.

Reactions: Chitlin&theDude
The real issue was no real leadership that knew what to do after Fulmer. AD's with no clue how to run a football program or monitor the coaches properly. Lane was the high risk , bold move guy.. Screwed us. Dooley was filler.. Botch was Botch, Big East guy with no clue. Bad hires... Poor leadership. Dumpster fire of a coaching search. Comedy of errors, by people who will tell you to your face they're a lot smarter than you.

I think the biggest issues are strength and conditioning and SEC caliber players. We wre on our 3rd S&C program since 2015. Look at the top teir programs and you will see long tenured S&C coaches for the most part. Strength and conditioning is the most important non HC position on a staff. If you dont have a good S&C program, you are doomed.

Botch had a habit of recruiting guys that were undersized for a reason. They fit his offensive system. Smaller, quicker OL to make better use of his system. Obviously that is an abject failure in the SEC. botch was just in over his head. Like the 2 losers that preceeded him, he wasnt qualified to be a coach at TN. You cannot recruit small OL and hope to beef them up. Look at what Pruitt is recruiting. Bigger guys that will adjust much easier to the SEC.

While I agree it's Butch's fault but you can't blame him on trying to install the gimmicky spread offense. Around the time he came, it was almost impossible to stop a no-huddle spread offense like Chip's. But like all gimmicks and really all offenses, defensive coaches will find a way to defend against it. Not to mention with the help of the substitution rule which really hurt the fast paced offenses. But like you said, these small linemen don't belong here in the SEC and Pruitt knows size does matter (sorry guys). Look at the RBs he wants, you can see his goal.

I think in two years we will have a solid line because of the types . I think we have a little bit of talent now that could be molded into some serviceable linemen. However, if we pull Morris and Wright, we can expect the OL to be a weakness of the past especially if Trey can overcome his medical issue.

Reactions: savannahfan
The real problem with this team is Butch recruited small linemen with the thought of adding weight and they could be a fast athletic group. Small athletic linemen are not big uglies at all. An offensive lineman should play violent but these guys are not built that way. The other issue I see is the overall team speed or lack of. The WR as a unit are very slow, the linebackers are very slow, the defensive ends omg they couldn't catch my grandmother. Coaches have made some mistakes yes but you can't make a UNIT who isn't big and mean to play violent. You can't make slow guys faster. Combine those issues with mental mistakes and turnovers you have the 2018 Tennessee VOLS. Recruiting is the key, the problem for us as fans we have been stuck in a 10 year rebuilding process.

You say Butch recruited a group that would be fast. You then turn around and talk about how slow the whole dam- team is. (correctly by the way) What you describe is a bunch of lessor conference guys. I will also say not many of them could play for the Ohio, Western Mich, Northern Ill. type teams. The guys they have on those teams were smart enough to know what their limits would be in the SEC. So, we have what is left and to their credit they are finally doing pretty much all they can.

On a side note, I would like to see "speeds" of our receivers as they stack up against the other SEC receivers.

While the OL is a major concern, I don’t believe it’s as bad as everyone thinks....hear me out.

These players have been in the same system for their entire college careers under butch jones. Now, they are less than a year under not one, not two, but three different systems (defense, offense, special teams). It is a HUGE learning curve for guys that werent recruited for, or have never played in this kind of system.

It is GOING TO TAKE TIME to instill the system. That’s why teams like Missouri, Vandy and South Carolina are so competitive. They’ve had the same systems in place for years to maintain stability. Only time and recruits will fix that.

True. But they were not good in the "Butch" system, except when Dobbs was QB. Defense was never "good" just average except when one of our best defense ends ever was playing.

True. But they were not good in the "Butch" system, except when Dobbs was QB. Defense was never "good" just average except when one of our best defense ends ever was playing.
Our OL has not had any decent coaching since Pittman was told to hit the road. And I am waiting to see what Will Friend can produce. The initial results are totally lacking.

I think the biggest issues are strength and conditioning and SEC caliber players. We wre on our 3rd S&C program since 2015. Look at the top teir programs and you will see long tenured S&C coaches for the most part. Strength and conditioning is the most important non HC position on a staff. If you dont have a good S&C program, you are doomed.

Botch had a habit of recruiting guys that were undersized for a reason. They fit his offensive system. Smaller, quicker OL to make better use of his system. Obviously that is an abject failure in the SEC. botch was just in over his head. Like the 2 losers that preceeded him, he wasnt qualified to be a coach at TN. You cannot recruit small OL and hope to beef them up. Look at what Pruitt is recruiting. Bigger guys that will adjust much easier to the SEC.

You response points out what many on here have been been shouting all year. Continuity and time will be the answer, over and over and over......

Not buying the system these guys are not physical and to be honest just soft. I actually played Football it's not that difficult. If you don't know who to hit just hit somebody. This line doesn't like contact. Pay attention to this Saturday, on running plays while 5 players takle our back or wr you'll see at least 3 of our offensive linemen just standing there watching instead of hitting somebody. Just watch and tell me if I'm wrong. That's mindset not system.
It's BOTH!!

Really what difference does it make who I am. Im pointing out problems to fans who may not understand. Why do people on here take something meaningful and turn it into something pointless.
It's just they way we are...... All of us. Very little is meaningful to all who live here. ( and I do mean live here)

We need OL and DL, we just don't have enough depth on the DL and we tire out fast, the OL IS A MESS and the coaches are getting all they can get out of them, we need 2 more recruiting classes to dress the issue, look at the O-LINEMEN'S that we have lost over the last 2 to 3 year's.

VN Store

Back