The Pembroke Postgame Report

hatvol96

1. Any win in Fayetteville is a good one. Take all the road wins you can get.
2. That was probably JP Prince's best perfomance with UT. He had an advantage and exploited it.
3. Hopefully, this will complete this team's transition to a halfcourt squad. This team is ill suited for the uptempo, 3 pointers in transition style Bruce Pearl is known for.
4. The SEC office obviously thinks as highly of Bruce as his peers do. They keep assigning Ted Valentine to his games.
5. I'll be ecstatic when Raycom is no more. Tim Brando and Barry Booker are an embarrasssment to their profession.
6. Bobby Maze would not have taken the shot that won the game two weeks ago. That consitutes progress.
7. Wayne and Tyler did exactly what they should down the stretch. Dominating the mostly mediocre frontcourts in the SEC should be the norm for those two.
8. Anyone who wonders where Tennessee misses Ramar Smith need only watch Courtney Fortson layups all night. The Vols have no answer for penetrating scorers.
9. Cincinnati is playing themselves into NCAA consideration. Conversely, Notre Dame looks like an NIT team
10. Wrong place, wrong night for Tubby Smith's team. An angry Michigan State team in East Lansing isn't much fun.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

11. Duke is getting it handed to them by Clemson right now, down 16 with 15:30 left in the game.

Good observations hat. I'll add one.

12. Each week, one of hatvol's points will include the fact that other coaches don't like Bruce Pearl.

I, for one, am thrilled that other coaches don't care for him. I think Bruce is fine with it also.

2. That was probably JP Prince's best perfomance with UT. He had an advantage and exploited it.

5. I'll be ecstatic when Raycom is no more. Tim Brando and Barry Booker are an embarrasssment to their profession.

10. Wrong place, wrong night for Tubby Smith's team. An angry Michigan State team in East Lansing isn't much fun.

2. He's shown this potential a lot this year; it was only a matter of time before we saw this. Great effort on the whole by prince, though perhaps unlikely to sustain

5. Quite possibly the worst tandem in a decade's memory. The latter is like tim russert minus the intellection and chutzpah: al roker with 10 games of nba jam under his belt.

10. It's gonna be WP,WN for tubby for awhile ahead.

12. Each week, one of hatvol's points will include the fact that other coaches don't like Bruce Pearl.

I, for one, am thrilled that other coaches don't care for him. I think Bruce is fine with it also.

13. Quoted For Truth

On Prince, I like the roll that he has played the last few games. He is passing the ball and taking the penetration when it's there. He's not trying to play outside what he is capable of doing.

I've always thought that was one of Pearl's strengths -- getting players to play within themselves and focus on doing things that they are capable of doing.

I care when it affects the team. Why do you think Ted Valentine keeps catching our games? Jim Calhoun and Bob Huggins hate him and he almost never does one of their games, despite the fact Valentine works lives in Big East country and works other league games. Why? They've made their disdain for him known and their peers respect them enough not to complain when Tranghese and Co. stick them with TV Ted instead of Huggs or Jimbo.

The fact that Prince is passing the ball at all is a huge step up from last season. Still, way too many 3's attempted and a lot of defensive lapses from this team. A win is a win, but they still have a lot of work to do.

I care when it affects the team. Why do you think Ted Valentine keeps catching our games? Jim Calhoun and Bob Huggins hate him and he almost never does one of their games, despite the fact Valentine works lives in Big East country and works other league games. Why? They've made their disdain for him known and their peers respect them enough not to complain when Tranghese and Co. stick them with TV Ted instead of Huggs or Jimbo.

It really does seem like he's our ref every other game or 3 out of every 4 games even.

On Prince, I like the roll that he has played the last few games. He is passing the ball and taking the penetration when it's there. He's not trying to play outside what he is capable of doing.

I've always thought that was one of Pearl's strengths -- getting players to play within themselves and focus on doing things that they are capable of doing.
I said this, got laughed at for my troubles.

Are you wearing a tinfoil hat? :lol:

I suppose I've never really thought about it. I hate Valentine with a passion so I figured it just "seemed" like he officiated all of our games.

This game was not even in the top 20 of Ted Valentine butchering the sport of basketball.

I thought the game was decently officiated...not that all the calls were dead on, just that it went both ways.

Are you wearing a tinfoil hat? :lol:
Not at all. If you don't think things like that happen, just let me know the next time Valentine referees a Texas Tech game or Curtis Shaw does a Southern Miss game.

3. Hopefully, this will complete this team's transition to a halfcourt squad. This team is ill suited for the uptempo, 3 pointers in transition style Bruce Pearl is known for.

If this transition is really occurring, then Bruce has earned a little respect from his detractors. Even you, Hat, are due to give him a little credit. :)

If this transition is really occurring, then Bruce has earned a little respect from his detractors. Even you, Hat, are due to give him a little credit. :)

The transition hasn't occurred. We're just playing HC ball out of necessity, not strength.

I tend not to give blind pigs applause for stumbling upon the occasional acorn.

Was Bruce going for the Stan Van Gundy look tonight with no tie? I would say Mike Brey, but Bruce is built more like Stan.

VN Store

Back