The Official Vandy @ #1 Tennessee SEC Tourney Game 1 Thread (Wed. May 22 5:30PM EST SEC NETWORK)

just to ease some people’s anger lmao state got run ruled twice in 21, and flordia got run ruled 16-0 in 17 and both won it all it sucks but it’s not the end of the world

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I agree, but also I’m not sure many teams have good pitching after 3 games. College pitching is generally pretty poor after you get past a 3-game series. At least we have the offense to compensate for that. Most teams don’t.

Tony’s pitching today was exactly for that reason. He’s trying to see what he has and what works outside of our main guys. Postseason baseball is weird. He’s collecting data points that help them make an informed decision should TN find themselves in a loser bracket scenario. All this tournament is to Tony is one last chance to see what he’s got and play with some combinations. Off the soap box I go. See yall tomorrow.

Last edited:
Cmon, Mookie. You’ve been around here a while now. Tony’s pitching today was exactly for that reason. He’s trying to see what he has and what works outside of our main guys. Postseason baseball is weird. He’s collecting data points that help them make an informed decision should TN find themselves in a loser bracket scenario. All this tournament is to Tony is one last chance to see what he’s got and play with some combinations. Off the soap box I go. See yall tomorrow.

What did I say in that message that is wrong? Every team generally has bad pitching when you get to the 4th game in a series in college. I don’t necessarily trust the back of our bullpen, but again, I wouldn’t trust any other teams back of their bullpen either in a 4th game. Basically no college team is that deep. The difference is we can hit compared to most teams.

Vandy is benefiting from being in the SEC in terms of RPI. They were 13-17 in league play. Sound like a top 25 RPI team?
Actually, they are up to #20 now. That is 8th in RPI from the SEC (exactly where they are seeded). South Carolina, Alabama, LSU and Florida were all 13-17 in the SEC and are 17, 19, 22 and 28 in RPI. We ALL benefit from being in the SEC for RPI because the league is so strong. So yes, sounds like a top 25 RPI team. That’s how RPI works.

What did I say in that message that is wrong? Every team generally has bad pitching when you get to the 4th game in a series in college. I don’t necessarily trust the back of our bullpen, but again, I wouldn’t trust any other teams back of their bullpen either in a 4th game. Basically no college team is that deep. The difference is we can hit compared to most teams.

Wasn’t directing to you. Was directing to the comment you replied to. 😣

“We better hope we don’t go more than 3 games in regional play. Pitching beyond that is subpar.”

At least we are in a double elimination format and get another game. Just wait until next year whenever it is 100% single elimination. There are going to be a lot of pissed off teams because they will have their weekend starters go an entire 2 weeks between game action. I wouldn’t be shocked to see more upsets in the regionals next year because of that. Honestly need to get rid of the SECT altogether if they want to make it single elimination and have everyone participate in it. Makes zero sense.

At least we are in a double elimination format and get another game. Just wait until next year whenever it is 100% single elimination. There are going to be a lot of pissed off teams because they will have their weekend starters go an entire 2 weeks between game action. I wouldn’t be shocked to see more upsets in the regionals next year because of that. Honestly need to get rid of the SECT altogether if they want to make it single elimination and have everyone participate in it. Makes zero sense.
That seems easier. Top 4 seeds get a double bye.
Seeds 5-8 get a single bye
Seeds 9-16 start the tournament.

Tournament starts on Wednesday and if you get double bye your first game is Friday.

Reactions: Drewbydoo
#1, #2, #3, #6, and #7 all lost their first game. If #5 Mississippi State didn’t have a walk off then that would make 6 of the top 7 seeds losing their first game with #4 still to play. Pretty wild tournament so far. 8-12 had a lot more the play for than 1-7 and it shows.

SECT is also an opportunity to demonstrate and test the depth of these teams and I'll guess that goes a long way when trying to recruit from high school or getting guys from the transfer portal. I think one of the things Tony is really good about is giving guys a chance. Early in the year did we yet know what we had in Curley or Tears?

Potential players can see how guys made it as starters. Tony gave them an opportunity and they seized it. Tony is a next man up kinda guy in the same way I believe Kirby Smart is for UGA. Honor that and great talent will show up and for the most part, be patient.

VN Store

Back