The Official Tennessee @ Oklahoma Game Thread, 8:00pm ET, ABC

For those that keep calling for the OC's head, keep in mind, he is limited by his qb.

I'm not calling for anyone's head (and I think it's rather silly to call for a coordinator's head anyway, rather than the guy responsible for hiring him), but if the guy is limited by Worley at this point, it's his own fault. It's their 2nd year. They've had 2 recruiting classes to find someone else. Do you know how many QBs have been recruited or transferred in that time period and are playing Div. 1 college ball?

Not calling for anyone's head but Worley is working with what he has. A good offensive line and Worley is a completely different type of QB.

Agree that the OL play has not been good, but that doesn't change the fact that Worley is not a runner. A good OL isn't going to make him quicker or more agile. It's how this offensive scheme is designed. He played his heart out tonight and I don't want to sound like I'm diminishing that in any way, but he is not a running threat from the qb position. It doesn't matter if you put an NFL OL in front of him, mobility is not one of his assets.

I didn't see it. I just saw yet another loss.

Then find something else to do with your time and you won't have to see losses or lack of improvement or anything else. If you can't tell the difference in this team from the past couple of years then you're an idiot plain and simple. Quit your *****ing and find something else to do on Saturdays.

Reactions: 1 person
For those that keep calling for the OC's head, keep in mind, he is limited by his qb.

Worley is a gutsy young man. His heart showed out tonight and anybody questioning that is an idiot. That said, he is not the style of qb suited for running this offense. For the read-option to truly be effective, the qb has to be a threat to keep the ball and run. That does not describe Worley. Other teams know, 99% of the time, the rb is going to get the ball, so they can sell out on stuffing the rb and not have to worry about the qb making them pay. Worley is fine as it pertains to the passing part of this style of offense. He is no where near fine where it pertains to the running part of this style of play. To see this offense work, we need a qb with wheels.

I agree with this but what befuddles me is he seems to be recruiting the same style of QB.

I didn't love every single play call but with an awful O-Line, the OCs hands are tied. I actually thought Worley made some good plays stepping up in the pocket and hitting a few passes. (when he wasn't getting drilled)

My only beef with play calling is the lateral plays against a fast OU team. But that didn't make any difference in the outcome of this game.

The zone read or whatever doesn't look great right now but nothing does when you don't have an 0-Line.

Did we only have 1 penalty tonight? If so, that's impressive with such a young team on the road.

The steps that this team has taken since CBJ took over are a little larger than baby steps. Our D made their O look mediocre tonight and this was the fourth rank team in Nation. Worley played his butt off but we need a QB that can run CBJ system, then we will be fine.

With no significant upgrade in wins, these could hardly be called more than baby steps, in my opinion. Look at what Freeze and Franklin were doing by their second year, after taking over 2-10 programs.

the play calling was terrible. For some reason we keep throwing the majority of our pass attempts behind the line of scrimmage (some were screens) or run these reverses that only loose yards like the first play of the game. Butch & this coaching gave up on this game. The last few minutes we just tried to run the clock out. I know that we have no chance of winning the game, but we needed to score! Oklahoma kept their Qb on roll outs to avoid pressure & to buy time & it worked. We tried to keep Worley in the pocket & he got murdered. We started to run the ball well, got to the goal line & threw a 2 yd pass in the end zone that got picked & returned 100 yds for a Sooner td. Why not just run the ball. I know we played a lot of freshman but last year our starting offensive line were seniors & 4 out of 5 of them are now in the NFL & we had the same results as now. We really need a mobile qb to help out, even if it is to just run the wild cat . Oklahoma is a really good team but we could have made this into a decent game.

I'm not calling for anyone's head (and I think it's rather silly to call for a coordinator's head anyway, rather than the guy responsible for hiring him), but if the guy is limited by Worley at this point, it's his own fault. It's their 2nd year. They've had 2 recruiting classes to find someone else. Do you know how many QBs have been recruited or transferred in that time period and are playing Div. 1 college ball?

See my previous post as to being limited by Worley.

As for finding a better fit for the system, they thought they had. They were apparently wrong. You do have misses in recruiting. See Blair as an example.

Agree that the OL play has not been good, but that doesn't change the fact that Worley is not a runner. A good OL isn't going to make him quicker or more agile. It's how this offensive scheme is designed. He played his heart out tonight and I don't want to sound like I'm diminishing that in any way, but he is not a running threat from the qb position. It doesn't matter if you put an NFL OL in front of him, mobility is not one of his assets.

I know, Weez. But, he's the only QB we have worth putting on the field right now. If we had a good O line, it would change the calls quite a bit, I think, and this conversation wouldn't be going on.

I still say 2015 is the year

I still think 2014 can be good. No one else we play will be as good defensively as OU. The Gators took 3 OTs to beat Kentucky. After watching all the other teams play I don't see anyone that the Vols can't beat with a few breaks. They won't beat them all of course but if you count Vandy and Chattanooga as wins I can see them going 3-4 or 4-3 against the rest. That's better than the 6-6 I figured in August. They have a real chance to go to Athens and beat Georgia. I think our D is better than theirs. If the Vols can score 28 on them we'll win. IMHO

the play calling was terrible. For some reason we keep throwing the majority of our pass attempts behind the line of scrimmage (some were screens) or run these reverses that only loose yards like the first play of the game. Butch & this coaching gave up on this game. The last few minutes we just tried to run the clock out. I know that we have no chance of winning the game, but we needed to score! Oklahoma kept their Qb on roll outs to avoid pressure & to buy time & it worked. We tried to keep Worley in the pocket & he got murdered. We started to run the ball well, got to the goal line & threw a 2 yd pass in the end zone that got picked & returned 100 yds for a Sooner td. Why not just run the ball. I know we played a lot of freshman but last year our starting offensive line were seniors & 4 out of 5 of them are now in the NFL & we had the same results as now. We really need a mobile qb to help out, even if it is to just run the wild cat . Oklahoma is a really good team but we could have made this into a decent game.

Maybe we should have leaned on the OL to push towards victory:crazy:

Reactions: 3 people

Worley is a gutsy young man. His heart showed out tonight and anybody questioning that is an idiot. That said, he is not the style of qb suited for running this offense. For the read-option to truly be effective, the qb has to be a threat to keep the ball and run. That does not describe Worley. Other teams know, 99% of the time, the rb is going to get the ball, so they can sell out on stuffing the rb and not have to worry about the qb making them pay. Worley is fine as it pertains to the passing part of this style of offense. He is no where near fine where it pertains to the running part of this style of play. To see this offense work, we need a qb with wheels.

I thought Worley could have scored if he pulled down on that incomplete throw at the line of scrimmage to North in the back of the end zone.

The steps that this team has taken since CBJ took over are a little larger than baby steps. Our D made their O look mediocre tonight and this was the fourth rank team in Nation. Worley played his butt off but we need a QB that can run CBJ system, then we will be fine.

Most coaches who are successful, come in and make an almost immediate impact on the field. It's just one game, but we are sooner or later going to have to start winning games in the season we are currently in,in order for us to get better.

My old coach used to say, "potential is just another way of saying you're not playing as well as you can. Sooner or later you have to play like your capable of in order to be good."

Ok. Lets open up the play book so that every SEC team can stop us when we play them.

you can't be serious... youre saying the reason we didnt call our good plays is because we are saving them for SEC play.... I wont say anything mean cuz I dont like the vol on vol violence. but damn dude...

Reactions: 3 people
Not embarrassing. Not what we hoped for. Just getting our metal forged early. Lookin forward to being in every SEC east game.

VN Store

Back