The Official Tennessee @ Mississippi State Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, ESPNU

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
Tennessee Volunteers: 12-8 (4-3 SEC)

Yves-Pons-vs.-Texas-AM.jpg

@

Mississippi State Bulldogs: 13-7 (4-3 SEC)

13968629.jpg

GAME 21 | TENNESSEE at MISSISSIPPI STATE - Feb. 1, 2020 | 2:01 p.m. ET / 1:01 p.m. CT | Humphrey Coliseum (10,575)

Line: UT +6
O/U: 128.5

TV: ESPNU / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
XM: 382 / Internet: 972
Online: ESPN App

Miss St Game Notes

qv16uLjG

THE SERIES
• Tennessee leads its all-time series with Mississippi State, 85-43, dating to 1924.
• The Vols own a narrow, 30-28 advantage when the series is played in Starkville and have won four of their last five games at The Hump.
• Tennessee is 6-1 against MSU under head coach Rick Barnes.

A WIN WOULD...
• Give the Vols 10 consecutive wins over teams from the state of Mississippi.
• Prevent UT's first three-game losing skid since Feb. 22 through March 1 of the 2016-17 season (Vanderbilt, South Carolina, LSU

STORYLINES
• This week one year ago, Tennessee was ranked No. 1 in both major polls.
• Six or more international student-athletes are likely to see action in Saturday's game.
• Vols freshman Uroš Plavšić and Bulldogs redshirt junior Abdul Ado are both graduates of Hamilton Heights Christian Academy in Chattanooga.
• In Tennessee's eight games since the calendar flipped to 2020, junior Yves Pons has totaled 25 blocked shots (3.1 bpg).
• Vols forward John Fulkerson has three double-doubles in UT's last six games and is averaging 13.5 points and 8.5 rebounds during that span.
• In his first five college games, true freshman Santiago Vescovi averaged one turnover every 4.4 minutes played. But in the last three games, he has averaged one turnover every 22.8 minutes (four turnovers in 91 minutes).

LAYUP LINES
• Tennessee leads the SEC in both scoring defense (60.0 ppg, 10th nationally) and field-goal percentage defense (.378, 15th nationally).
• During SEC play, junior forward John Fulkerson leads the team in scoring (11.9 ppg), rebounding (7.0 rpg) and steals (1.1 spg) while shooting .653 from the field and .864 from the free-throw line.
• The Vols are on pace to finish the regular season with 189 blocks. That would be the fifth-highest single-season total in program history.
• Junior forward Yves Pons has blocked at least one shot in every game this season. He leads the SEC and ranks 18th nationally with 2.7 bpg. His 3.1 bpg during SEC play also leads the league.
• Freshmen Josiah-Jordan James (13-28) and Santiago Vescovi (14-36) combine to shoot .422 from 3-point range during SEC play

ABOUT MISSISSIPPI STATE
• Mississippi State is riding a four-game conference win streak with victories over Missouri, Georgia, Arkansas and Florida. The Bulldogs are 13-7 (4-3 SEC).
• MSU head coach Ben Howland, like Tennessee head coach Rick Barnes, is in his fifth year in Starkville, looking to build off MSU's first NCAA Tournament appearance in nine years. The Bulldogs finished 2018-19 with a mark of 23-11 and finished sixth in the SEC before ultimately falling to Liberty in the first round of last year's NCAA Tournament.
• The Bulldogs have been led this season by the outstanding play of sophomore forward Reggie Perry. Perry leads MSU in scoring (16.9 ppg) and rebounding (10.0), averaging a double-double while also showing his versatility as both a playmaker (2.3 apg) and defender (1.0 bpg). His 10.0 boards per game also lead the SEC.
• Perry put together one of his best performances of the season in State's victory at Florida on Tuesday night, pouring in a career-high 27 points and grabbing eight rebounds.
• Senior guard Tyson Carter has shown great production for the Bulldogs, ranking second in scoring (13.6 ppg) and steals (1.3 spg) and first in assists, dishing off 3.5 assists per contest. His contributions have stayed consistent while coming off the bench in each of the last five games.
• One notable native of Starkville, Mississippi, is Pro Football Hall of Famer Jerry Rice. Rice was born in Starkville and grew up in the nearby town of Crawford. He later attended Mississippi Valley State, where he set numerous NCAA I-AA football records before becoming arguably the greatest NFL receiver of all-time.

I’d take Miss St and lay the points. They have several strong rebounders and after last game I don’t see where we have any answers for that.

This game could get ugly for the Vols I’m afraid. We better rebound 10000x better today if we want to stay in this one.

I'm seeing at least a 5 game losing streak. MState and Bama are tough at home. State's too physical for Vols and Bama scores well at home. Plus the up coming home and homes with KY/AU things just don't look too promising for a good end of season. Hate to be pessimistic but when your offensively challenged like this team is beating really good teams is hard.

Jon Rothstein reports that JJJ is questionable with the groin injury. I don't see us having any chance if he can't go or is much less than 100%.

Probably true if we were a blue blood. Your sins are counted more heavily if you're one of the other guys. (speaking selection sunday)

We need good wins. VCU lost last night and Washington isn’t a big win. I’ll trade a bad loss for a good win and call it a wash for the week
These next two road games aren’t games I expected us to win all along

We need good wins. VCU lost last night and Washington isn’t a big win. I’ll trade a bad loss for a good win and call it a wash for the week
These next two road games aren’t games I expected us to win all along
Washington is still a Q1 win ,but can't screw up any more, sitting at 48. VCU still has some wiggle room. Miss St would be a Q1 so would help tremendously.

Reactions: BruinVol

VN Store

Back