The Official Tennessee @ ETSU Game Thread, 7:00 pm ET, ESPN3

Freak can tell you. It would have been entirely possible the Bucs could have blown out the Vols. If I had him convinced, what more could I do? :) Basketball is a game. The Vols won but it was by the skin of their teeth. The game was tied with a 1:11. During that 1:11 ETSU missed 3 shots within five feet of the basket and a tip at the rim. It was a good win for Tennessee in a hostile environment and it was a good loss for the Bucs. Statistically, the Bucs shot more than 10 percentage points less than their nationally ranked season average. Tennessee shot 1% below theirs. Both made the same number of field goals with the Bucs shooting 9 more attempts. It appears ETSU was pressured more by their sold out crowd than the Vols were.

So pathetic; all that big talk before the game and here you are making excuses. Talk the talk, can't walk the walk.

But it's hardly surprising that you're nothing but a lying, weaseling hot bag of wind; I mean look who your idol is.

Reactions: 1 person
Freak can tell you. It would have been entirely possible the Bucs could have blown out the Vols. If I had him convinced, what more could I do? :) Basketball is a game. The Vols won but it was by the skin of their teeth. The game was tied with a 1:11. During that 1:11 ETSU missed 3 shots within five feet of the basket and a tip at the rim. It was a good win for Tennessee in a hostile environment and it was a good loss for the Bucs. Statistically, the Bucs shot more than 10 percentage points less than their nationally ranked season average. Tennessee shot 1% below theirs. Both made the same number of field goals with the Bucs shooting 9 more attempts. It appears ETSU was pressured more by their sold out crowd than the Vols were.

If TN had Stokes and Richardson they'd have beat ETSU 60 points.
If they'd had Bone and Fulkerson it wouldn't have been close either.
Bottom line TN beat your boys just like the NCAA beat your other boy's butt.
Next time they can play in Nashville so they won't feel so pressured. Any more excuses?:cray:

If TN had Stokes and Richardson they'd have beat ETSU 60 points.
If they'd had Bone and Fulkerson it wouldn't have been close either.
Bottom line TN beat your boys just like the NCAA beat your other boy's butt.
Next time they can play in Nashville so they won't feel so pressured. Any more excuses?:cray:

Lol first he claims Barnes is too scared to play at ETSU and that UT won't play anywhere else as hostile all season then says the environment was too much for his own team.

I know it gets hard for someone so full of crap to keep with their own bulls*** but this comical even for him.

Did SD say that ETSU was more shook by their home crowd than the visiting team?

I'm speechless by this excuse.

That was a fun game to watch. ETSU is a well coached team that matches up well with many SEC squads. Rick Barnes has done a heck of a job. This young team plays with poise and you can see them improving every week. Dave Hart left the Vol programs far better than he found them with some quality hires.

For anyone attending ETSU in the late 80s early 90s - that was an awesome program under Les Robinson. Their highest ranking may have been around 8 or so in the top 25 - can't remember.

Vols helped their statewide image scheduling the game in Johnson City but I am sure Barnes is not a fan of that type of road game.
I had similar thoughts. I really enjoyed Donnie's recruiting philosophy of using scheduled away games within a 3hr vicinity of Knoxville. I wish we would travel to other State schools more often, bc I thought this was a great experience for both teams and specifically Johnson City.

Anyone possessing one iota of basketball IQ would know that ETSU has a better basketball team than UT this year. Talk about me gloating if ETSU had won, look in the mirror. Both teams fought their heart out for 40 minutes. One bounce of the ball and it could have gone the other way. They and the coaches respect each other. Too bad some fans can't do the same. Best way to settle this is to watch the rest of the season and see which team comes out on top.

Anyone possessing one iota of basketball IQ would know that ETSU has a better basketball team than UT this year. Talk about me gloating if ETSU had won, look in the mirror. Both teams fought their heart out for 40 minutes. One bounce of the ball and it could have gone the other way. They and the coaches respect each other. Too bad some fans can't do the same. Best way to settle this is to watch the rest of the season and see which team comes out on top.

1. Which ranking service do you want to use?

2. Guarantee if Tennessee ranks higher you'll just come up with excuses and avoid admitting you're wrong just like now.

It's already settled. UT won. They're better.

Scoreboard.

Reactions: 2 people

Skin of their teeth? TN was up 7 with seconds to go. ETSU hit a meaningless 3-pointer as the clock was about to hit 00:00.

Just having some fun.

I have a little extra bounce in my step after that big win last night. SD had me convinced we'd get run out of the gym.

That said, I'm an ETSU fan when they aren't playing the Vols.
And in spite of the derogatory remarks I get, I am a Tennessee fan when they are not playing my alma mater. This game would have meant much more to ETSU. It's just another game to Tennessee even though it propelled them from 124 to 85 in the ESPN RPI. These dudes that think it meant nothing, think again. The Vols beat a better team than half of the SEC.

And in spite of the derogatory remarks I get, I am a Tennessee fan when they are not playing my alma mater. This game would have meant much more to ETSU. It's just another game to Tennessee even though it propelled them from 124 to 85 in the ESPN RPI. These dudes that think it meant nothing, think again. The Vols beat a better team than half of the SEC.

The game meant everything to ETSU. Doesn't affect their possible NCAAT invite since the SoCon, being a low mid-major conference, is a one team NCAAT league.

If TN loses it potentially wrecks their season. So, yes, it was meaningful for TN.

Last edited:
The game meant everything got ETSU. Doesn't affect their possible NCAAT invite since the SoCon, being a low mid-major conference, is a one team NCAAT league.

If TN loses it potentially wrecks their season. So, yes, it was meaningful for TN.

I agree it meant something good to Tennessee. But this was like a final four type game for ETSU. It didn't have the same feeling good for Tennessee. But by no means did they take ETSU lightly or we wouldn't have won. Thankfully we didn't lose or Lord help what you know who would have been saying.

I agree it meant something good to Tennessee. But this was like a final four type game for ETSU. It didn't have the same feeling good for Tennessee. But by no means did they take ETSU lightly or we wouldn't have won. Thankfully we didn't lose or Lord help what you know who would have been saying.
Uh. He's still saying it.

They lost at home in front of a sold out crowd to UT. Anyone with eyes can see UT has a better team than ETSU this year. UT in front of a sellout home crowd could play with anyone, so tell me how ETSU is a better team again losing at home to the obvious better team?

Reactions: 3 people
They lost at home in front of a sold out crowd to UT. Anyone with eyes can see UT has a better team than ETSU this year. UT in front of a sellout home crowd could play with anyone, so tell me how ETSU is a better team again losing at home to the obvious better team?

Exactly. When you consider Bone and Fulk were out, it would have been even more obvious. You don't consistently play the top 20 teams so well and not have a good team.

When is the first UTC and ETSU matchup?

1/28 @ ETSU

2/18 @ UTC

Hats off to UT. We had our chances but simply couldn't make easy shots which has been a common problem this year. And again Mostella was a thorn in our side. As already mentioned it was a big game for us just to have some bragging rights. Until we can beat you guys, not much I can say!

The UTC games and of course all the games in the SoCon tournament are our most important games.

Since this game was the last of a 3 game contract, I am doubting that we will be facing UT again in the near future (barring some NIT-type chance meeting).

Good luck the rest of the way.

Last edited:

You do realize that UT was without two of their best players, right? I'd say UT winning on ETSU's court without 2 of their best players pretty much puts any nonsense that ETSU is better to rest.

Good win in a hostile environment. That should help in SEC play. If we can keep from getting any more injuries, this team could surprise some people. Getting Bone back will be huge.

1/28 @ ETSU

2/18 @ UTC

Hats off to UT. We had our chances but simply couldn't make easy shots which has been a common problem this year. And again Mostella was a thorn in our side. As already mentioned it was a big game for us just to have some bragging rights. Until we can beat you guys, not much I can say!

The UTC games and of course all the games in the SoCon tournament are our most important games.

Since this game was the last of a 3 game contract, I am doubting that we will be facing UT again in the near future (barring some NIT-type chance meeting).

Good luck the rest of the way.

Barnes said after the game that any of these games in the future will be at TBA and not away games. While it's good for schools like UTC, ETSU, MTSU, etc. to host UT, it does nothing for UT. Barnes wants to play non-conference games on the road against name teams where it's in fertile recruiting areas.

Barnes said after the game that any of these games in the future will be at TBA and not away games. While it's good for schools like UTC, ETSU, MTSU, etc. to host UT, it does nothing for UT. Barnes wants to play non-conference games on the road against name teams where it's in fertile recruiting areas.

Which is pretty standard thinking by bigger schools.

Scared of a blemish on their coaching record. Has nothing to do with how good it is to take the Vols into east, or central, or west Tennessee for recruiting purposes or for the fans in other parts of the state.

VN Store

Back