The Official NBA Forum Vols Football Thread

I don’t think many viewed his Raiders firing that badly considering by then Al Davis was bat crap crazy. They went through coaches like socks.

Plus the biggest thing that got Kiffin fired was he fought with Davis over JaMarcus Russell, because Kiffin wanted no part of Russell. And later he was proven right.

What you and Huff says makes sense.

Obviously they were on the AD's list cuz we hired them. But I don't recall VN lists including Derek Dooley and Butch Jones. Maybe Kiffin but my memory is fuzzy.

I just mean that they were on lists. No one was clamoring for them, not even our athletic department. Both were fallback options. Kiffin was our #1 guy and we made it happen early.

From my recollection, in 2010 the initial list after the shock of Kiffin leaving was Whittingham, Patterson, Cutcliffe, Muschamp, Calhoun, Kippy and Dooley. We had tentative agreements with Cutcliffe and Calhoun but both backed out.

In 2012 it was Gruden, Cutcliffe, Gundy, Strong, and Jones. We had a tentative agreement with Strong but he backed out. Some say we were close with Gruden but I don't buy it.

I'm probably leaving some guys out but this is the way I remember it.

Last edited:
From my recollection, in 2010 the initial list after the shock of Kiffin leaving was Whittingham, Patterson, Cutcliffe, Muschamp, Calhoun, Kippy and Dooley. We had tentative agreements with Cutcliffe and Calhoun but both backed out.

In 2012 it was Gruden, Cutcliffe, Gundy, Strong, and Jones. We had a tentative agreement with Strong but he backed out. Some say we were close with Gruden but I don't buy it.

I believe that boosters talked with Gruden, but Hart didn't like the "negotiating" going on behind his back, and Gruden wanted full control.

I'd contact Gruden again for the heck of it. Even call Bob Stoops. They have nothing to lose.

Chip Kelly can be had easily, if the administration talks to him. He's not getting another NFL job, and the Tennessee job is very attractive given talent in place, history, facilities, money backing, and a currently weak east division.

Petrino will take the job in a heartbeat, but is his baggage worth it? One thing I would say is that he would have the 2018 team competing for the SEC instantly.

I honestly believe our next coach will be an up and comer, as history proves. But hopefully Currie thinks differently from Hamilton and Hart.

You're very close but Muschamp was the first call and was offered a 7yr/$21M contract first I believe. Then Cutcliffe, then Dooley. I don’t know if Calhoun had accepted the job or not, I can’t remember

You're very close but Muschamp was the first call and was offered a 7yr/$21M contract first I believe. Then Cutcliffe, then Dooley. I don’t know if Calhoun had accepted the job or not, I can’t remember

I remember Calhoun accepted the job because he scheduled a meeting with his team. He then got cold feet and in the meeting told them he was staying.

I remember Calhoun accepted the job because he scheduled a meeting with his team. He then got cold feet and in the meeting told them he was staying.

I believe you are right.

Jesus that might have the craziest three days of a favorite sports team ever

Weren't Sumlin and Leach pretty interested in 2010?

Was he? I’m not saying that it didn’t happen, but damn, he got fired in a scathing fashion from the raiders. Hindsight really is 20/20 I suppose.

He was the hot coach at the time. NFL head coaching experience, proven recruiter, and was OC for part of USC's dominance. There was also excitement bc he was going to bring his dad and Coach O with him. The mistake wasn't hiring Kiffin, it was the extremely low buyout

"Butch -- 0-10
Dooley -- 0-8
Kiffin -- 0-2
Fulmer was 0-5 in 2007 and 2008 after going 2-1 in 2006.

In Fulmer's last 4 years, he was 3-10"

Tennessee against Top 10 teams

"Butch -- 0-10
Dooley -- 0-8
Kiffin -- 0-2
Fulmer was 0-5 in 2007 and 2008 after going 2-1 in 2006.

In Fulmer's last 4 years, he was 3-10"

Tennessee against Top 10 teams

Damn, 13 top 10 opponents in 4 years? That's brutal, especially considering we missed a bowl game.

VN Store

Back