The Official Duke/UNC 2017/18 Basketball Thread!!!

I’ve stated numerous times that ever since the Wade and Allan Houston era, my only concern over Tennessee b-ball is that they don’t embarrass the university. Trolls don’t read though. I don’t go trolling the b-ball forum though.

Consistency isn't a saving grace here

Reactions: 1 person
I think he'll be a college bust, simply because I think most highly touted one and done players don't do anything great in college. It's rare that they make huge impacts as freshmen, though most amaze in moments of brilliance.

It’s plausible to think he'll have at least a decent NBA career while simultaneously thinking he'll struggle in college.

I think the strategy at Duke, UK, KU, etc, is try to get as many of these guys as possible, with the hope that at least one of them will be great for their one year in college.

But, for every Bagley there's four or five highly rated recruits that don't have much of a payoff in college.

In terms of top-5 recruits, we have a pretty good hit rate lately. Kyrie, Jabari, Okafor, Tyus Jones, Tatum, Carter and Bagley were all great. Ingram was really good, especially in ACC play. Only college "busts" really are Rivers (who was still good, just inconsistent), Giles (injured) and Duval (who I think was actually just outside the top 5).

People hate Duke because they wish they were Duke. 5 titles in 30 years. UConn = 4. UNC and Kentucky have 3? Florida with 2. Anybody else?

Last edited:
I think he'll be a college bust, simply because I think most highly touted one and done players don't do anything great in college. It's rare that they make huge impacts as freshmen, though most amaze in moments of brilliance.

It’s plausible to think he'll have at least a decent NBA career while simultaneously thinking he'll struggle in college.

I think the strategy at Duke, UK, KU, etc, is try to get as many of these guys as possible, with the hope that at least one of them will be great for their one year in college.

But, for every Bagley there's four or five highly rated recruits that don't have much of a payoff in college.

Ehh, I disagree with a lot of that. Most projected one and done players are typically amongst the top players in college basketball - very few projected OAD's are just complete busts. If we look at Duke specifically, among all the recent projected OADs you'd probably say Duval was the worst and he'll still be a borderline first round pick this year and averaged 10 points and nearly 6 assists (3rd in the ACC I think) - not many would consider him a "bust" especially when he was the fifth option on the team. UNC hasn't had a lot of OAD prospects, but their most obvious and the one we'll always give them sh*t for is Harrison Barnes who averaged like 16 and 6 as a freshman, not a bust at all. Even for UK, who has probably had the most projected OADs, have had very few guys that have just been terrible in their freshman seasons.

That's why I don't think Zion will be a bust at all, the top guys that go to Duke that are projected to be OAD usually end up being pretty good players for their one season at Duke.

It will still be 2 or 1. 1988 will no longer be "last 30" years. : )

It will be the 0 year. :)

But, I'll take 3 in 31 years.

I find it funny that KU has had only eight head coaches in over 115 years, that three of them have national titles, and that Roy, who was at KU for the second longest tenure of the eight, had no national title, and yet was regarded with such esteem by KU fans while head coach.

He's done much better at UNC, but he constantly and consistently disappointed at KU, in terms of getting a national title.

Zion’s size, strength and athleticism reminds me of Justice Winslow. It took a little bit for Winslow to find his jumper, but once he did he was outstanding. Now that Chris Carrawell has been brought on staff, he’ll be a great asset to the wing players because he was so good as a slasher to the basket and getting into the lane.

Zion’s size, strength and athleticism reminds me of Justice Winslow. It took a little bit for Winslow to find his jumper, but once he did he was outstanding. Now that Chris Carrawell has been brought on staff, he’ll be a great asset to the wing players because he was so good as a slasher to the basket and getting into the lane.

He is so much bigger than Winslow, right?

He is so much bigger than Winslow, right?

Height wise I’d say so, I think Winslow was about 220-225, so about 15 pounds lighter than Zion. He should be a great defender, rebounder and finisher. Like some of you have pointed out, his shot needs some work.

I thought Zion was like 260

He weighed in at some USA basketball thing late last year at like 270, but he looked much smaller than that last week at the MDAAG. I also expect the Duke staff to slim him up a bit once he gets on campus. I don’t think they’ll let him play at 270.

Kansas: 2

If they win this weekend, it will be 3.

74Vj.gif

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back