The Official Boston College @ Tennessee Tuesday Game Thread (3/7 6:30PM EST) SEC Network+

NO SIR EEE

The Sultan Of Swat
Boston College Eagles (8-1) Overall (0-0) ACC
1678047817619.jpeg
@
Tennessee Volunteers (11-2) Overall (0-0) SEC

1678047923158.jpeg
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Playing its first home matchup against a Power Five team in the 2023 season, the second-ranked Tennessee Volunteers are ready for a Tuesday-night battle with Boston College at Lindsey Nelson Stadium at 6:30 p.m.

The Volunteers (11-2) look to continue their 11-game win streak and remain perfect in the homestand after a dominant showing against Gonzaga over the weekend. The series, which Tennessee swept, concluded with an offensive explosion from the Big Orange, culminating in 17 runs on 13 hits, with seven of those knocks being for extra-bases.

The game will mark the Vols' first midweek against a Power Five opponent since April 16, 2013, when they played Virginia Tech in the Hokie-Smokey Classic in Greenville, Tennessee. It will be the first midweek game against a major conference opponent played on Rocky Top since March 11, 2009, when UT hosted Louisville.

TICKET INFORMATION
Tickets for the games are available in very limited quantities at AllVols.com.

PROJECTED STARTING PITCHERS
LHP Zander Sechrist (0-0, 0.00 ERA) vs. RHP Henry Leake (1-1, 4.22 ERA)

BROADCAST INFO
Tuesday's game will stream on SEC Network+ and the ESPN app with Andy Brock (PxP) on the call. The online broadcast can be accessed on any mobile device through WatchESPN. WatchESPN can be accessed through the ESPN App, or online at espn.com/watch.

Fans can also listen to the Voice of Tennessee Baseball, John Wilkerson, and Vince Ferrara call the action on the Vol Network (FM 99.1/AM 990) or via a free audio stream on UTSports.com and the Tennessee Athletics Gameday App.

SERIES HISTORY
Overall: 0-0 (First Meeting)
in Knoxville: 0-0
in Boston: 0-0
at Neutral Sites: 0-0
Last Meeting: N/A

NOTABLE
ONE STREAK WILL END

Both teams enter Tuesday's contest with impressive win streaks, but one will have to come to an end. The Vols have won 11 straight, while the Eagles enter the contest winners of eight in a row.

CROOKED NUMBERS
Tennessee's offense has proven it can strike for a big inning at any time. In last weekend's series vs. Gonzaga, the Vols scored five-plus runs in an inning on four different occasions.

MIDWEEK MASTERS
Under Tony Vitello, UT has posted an impressive 56-8 record in midweek games. UT is off to a 4-0 start in the midweek this year after two wins apiece over Alabama A&M and Charleston Southern.

OPPONENT SCOUT
Boston College Eagles

• 2023 Record: 8-1 (0-0 ACC)
  • 2022 Record: 19-34 (5-25 ACC)
  • 2022 Postseason: -
  • 2023 ACC Preseason Poll: 7th Atlantic Division
  • Head Coach: Mike Gambino (11thseason)
  • Stat Leaders:
    • Average: Peter Burns (.400)
    • OBP: Nick Wang (.487)
    • SLG: Cameron Leary (.774)
    • Hits: Travis Honeyman (11)
    • Runs: Cohl Mercado (9)
    • RBIs: Patrick Roche (9)
    • Doubles: Travis Honeyman (5)
    • Triples: Travis Honeyman (1)
    • Home Runs: Cameron Leary (4)
    • ERA: Chris Flynn (0.00)
    • WHIP: Chris Flynn (.88)
    • BAA: John West (.152)
    • Innings Pitched: Chris Flynn (17.0)
    • Strikeouts: Chris Flynn (27)
    • Wins: Chris Flynn (3)
    • Saves: 4 tied (1)
ON DECK
No. 2/3 Tennessee rounds out its nonconference weekend schedule, welcoming Morehead State to Rocky Top for a three-game series beginning Friday night at 6:30 p.m. ET.

Tickets for non-conference home games can be purchased at AllVols.com.

Last edited:
BC has a very solid team this year. They will be coming to make a statement.

They had an advanced scout at the Tuesday game here last week to chart Sechrist assuming he was going to get the nod this week.

How do I know that? He sat right in front of me and I asked........lol

This is off topic, but what does our pitching staff look like next year? Does Lindsey (Jr) go pro? Does Halvy (RS Jr) go pro? Are the Covid years gone? It’s different this year because we have guys who could lose their leverage but they don’t have multiple years of P5 experience.
Fri: Burns (current Sophmore)
Sat: Beam (Soph)
Sun: Russell (Fr)

Halvy? (RS Jr)
Lindsey? (Jr)
Joyce? (Jr)
Evans (Soph)
Combs (RS Soph)
Bimbi (Jr)
Jenkins (Jr)
Sechrist (Jr)
Garcia (Fr)
Fitzgibbons (RS Soph)
Fanning (Jr)
Hunley (Fr)
Benhke (Fr)
Sloop (Fr)
Dallas (HS)
Schaefer (HS)

Last edited:
If Kirby doesn't get drafted, he will come back and try to take all of Redmond's places on the Record Book and get a master's since he wants to coach when done playing. Hope someone gives him a chance at the next level
I think Halvy, Lindsey, and Joyce get drafted at some point this year.

From D1 Baseball...

Boston College

Beantown represent! The Eagles are also off to an 8-1 start after sweeping a nice road series against Kennesaw State, a team that was in regionals last year. The Eagles also have a road win at Rutgers and a road series win at Pepperdine. We knew BC would hit, but the pitching has been a revelation so far, and BC allowed just seven runs in three games at Kennesaw. Next up: a Tuesday date at Tennessee, then a Wednesday game at UNC Asheville followed by a three-game set at Virginia Tech. Buckle up.

Question on recruiting.

When Tennessee or any team for that matter is going after the top players out of high school or the transfer portal, are there guarantees a coach has to make to them as far as playing time is concerned ?

Question on recruiting.

When Tennessee or any team for that matter is going after the top players out of high school or the transfer portal, are there guarantees a coach has to make to them as far as playing time is concerned ?

A good coach will never guarantee playing time. They will, however, guarantee the opportunity to earn a position through open competition. I'm pretty sure most players understand this and would be wary of a coach promising playing time.

Mine was never guaranteed playing time. He was told that they thought he could help them and would be given every opportunity to earn that spot. I would say in the four years that I have been watching Coach V, that has been the truth. I don't think anyone could realistically say they did not get a fair shot to earn a spot. Some might whine and complain but they were given an opportunity. It is up to the player to take that opportunity. I'm sure some come in with a little bigger opportunity than others but if they don't produce I do not think they will play.

Boston College has had ZERO home games thus far and are still 8-1. Their only loss was opener at Pepperdine

They swept a decent Kennesaw team in suburban ATL over the weekend. KSU beat GaTech midweek. Their stats lead one to believe they are a decent pitching team. Not sure about their midweek starter as this is their first midweek game.

I suspect this is their spring break as they play at Asheville on Wedneday and VaTech to open ACC play on Friday-Sunday.

their first scheduled home game is 3/22/2023 against Sacred Heart.

Boston College has had ZERO home games thus far and are still 8-1. Their only loss was opener at Pepperdine

They swept a decent Kennesaw team in suburban ATL over the weekend. KSU beat GaTech midweek. Their stats lead one to believe they are a decent pitching team. Not sure about their midweek starter as this is their first midweek game.

I suspect this is their spring break as they play at Asheville on Wedneday and VaTech to open ACC play on Friday-Sunday.

their first scheduled home game is 3/22/2023 against Sacred Heart.

I would expect they pitch their best weekend starter against us and use the mid week starter against Asheville. Just guessing.

Mine was never guaranteed playing time. He was told that they thought he could help them and would be given every opportunity to earn that spot. I would say in the four years that I have been watching Coach V, that has been the truth. I don't think anyone could realistically say they did not get a fair shot to earn a spot. Some might whine and complain but they were given an opportunity. It is up to the player to take that opportunity. I'm sure some come in with a little bigger opportunity than others but if they don't produce I do not think they will play.
Same

VN Store

Back