The Official #9 Tennessee vs #14 LSU Weekend Series Thread (Game 1 Friday @ 6:32PM) (Game 2 Saturday @ 6PM) (Game 3 Sunday @ 1PM)

What’s bad or sad is we had 2 more and lost them to injury. Everyone knows Leath’s unfortunate injury and how great he was but we also lost the Joyce twin to Tommy John early in the fall.

Joyce was a guy that would have (IMO) come out of the pen and he would have brought a polished 97-100 mph with him for an inning. This staff was set to be unbelievably good and on it’s way to Omaha.

We can still get there but we have to have guys with a little less ‘stuff’ step up and be big for this team at different times. We also need Beck to be the hitter that Vitello and the other coaches say he is. Looks like Beck is really pressing and not relaxed in the box. Whatever the hell Russell drank to get himself going this weekend, he needs to share with his buddy.
I didn't know about Joyce. That absolutely sucks. Hopefully he recovers well.

Vandy has shown the best way to develop the young arms.
walkerB, Kyle wright, liter and a number of others were midweek starters are freshmen and they were allowed to get their 5-7 innings every week like they would in the minor leagues with less pressure than a SEC weekend. The Vols need to get to that depth level and May soon

I don’t disagree. I just think we need to get at it sooner rather than later. I think we agree on that, if not, I am sure you will correct me. 😃

Reactions: NorCalVol67
I think you and I have tread that ground before. Pitching is not the problem this year.

Yep. The pitching is great. Offense is getting better but it’s still the part of the team that tells me this team isn’t going to Omaha but when a team starts winning one run games like this one is doing now it can last an entire season if the pitching keeps this up

Reactions: vol66
Lol. Poor 66 can’t handle hearing it again but I’ll leave this here

Basically Vandy can buy their recruits due to the fact that they are private and can use their endowment to offset scholarship money. One difference since Vitello has arrived is that they don’t automatically get the very best in state kids, they have to fight for them.

Reactions: MagnoliaVol
Yep. The pitching is great. Offense is getting better but it’s still the part of the team that tells me this team isn’t going to Omaha but when a team starts winning one run games like this one is doing now it can last an entire season if the pitching keeps this up

Tying and eventually winning a delayed game today gave me great hope for this team.

Reactions: vol66
They actually do a lot to be honest. Bianco has been one of the most willing coaches to speak up against it publicly

Neither you or I can change it, I can’t, nor would I, stop you from pounding your head against that brick wall. For now, we develop what we got which is a helluva lot better than what we had because the recruiting is better by like...but you have an issue with that too.

Reactions: MagnoliaVol
Neither you or I can change it, I can’t, nor would I, stop you from pounding your head against that brick wall. For now, we develop what we got which is a helluva lot better than what we had because the recruiting is better by like...but you have an issue with that too.

I have a reasonable solution to all of it 66. I don’t blame vandy at all nor do I want their situation changed. I want other schools to have the choice to do it as well. Bring everyone up which helps a lot of people and the sport

As far as the recruiting goes I want recruits to be able to sign as soon as they commit, the NLI is voided if the head coach leaves if the player wants out, and programs to be penalized for dropping kids from their rosters. That would slow down all the BS games being played with recruits and make coaches really have to evaluate players better

I have a reasonable solution to all of it 66. I don’t blame vandy at all nor do I want their situation changed. I want other schools to have the choice to do it as well. Bring everyone up which helps a lot of people and the sport

As far as the recruiting goes I want recruits to be able to sign as soon as they commit, the NLI is voided if the head coach leaves if the player wants out, and programs to be penalized for dropping kids from their rosters. That would slow down all the BS games being played with recruits and make coaches really have to evaluate players better

I have howled at the moon many times, I can’t say it’s helped much.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

I appreciate the passion you bring for change. I think that’s a good thing, but I would like to also appreciate sweeping LSU at home which is also a relatively new thing.

Basically Vandy can buy their recruits due to the fact that they are private and can use their endowment to offset scholarship money. One difference since Vitello has arrived is that they don’t automatically get the very best in state kids, they have to fight for them.
It has nothing to do with being private. They simply choose to spend their $4B on “recruiting” talented students to the school and they can afford to do it with a student body of 10k. UT could offer the exact same program as a public school, but it’s a lot harder to financially assist 3x as many students every year on an endowment that’s 1/4th the size.

Reactions: Titan05
It has nothing to do with being private. They simply choose to spend their $4B on “recruiting” talented students to the school and they can afford to do it with a student body of 10k. UT could offer the exact same program as a public school, but it’s a lot harder to financially assist 3x as many students every year on an endowment that’s 1/4th the size.

yep. Unc and Virginia do it and are the only public schools that I know of that offer the same as vandy.

It’s just not reasonable to think most public schools can offer it to the entire student body. However It is reasonable for the ncaa to allow partial scholarship sports to offer need based aid set forth under the same guidelines as I posted a few post back as vandy i.e. a family making 100k of less gets full tuition or something along those lines.

If that was the case all SEC schools would participate thus leveling the playing fields. Many other mid major schools wouldn’t participate due to lack of budget$ but let’s face it Those schools are already fishing in different waters anyways

We are on the same page. I was trying to say that being private is ultimately what allows them to do what they please. Private means higher tuition, significantly smaller student body, etc.

Impossible for public universities like UT or large student body colleges to do what Vandy does.

not entirely true. Unc does it with a higher enrollment

You are correct. I should have said virtually impossible. I agree with your premise that the 11.7 could be altered to help under privileged kids get more at publicly universities. NCAA has no good reason to do it based on leveling the playing field though. If you look around the Top 25, you see public universities at the top of college baseball.

Reactions: BruinVol
UNC does not do it in baseball. They are not able to waive out of state but they do it with in-state. They still have to charge guys out of state tuition so it is very expensive in baseball for guys to go play at UNC who do not live there.

VN Store

Back