The Official #9 Tennessee @ Texas A&M Game Thread, 2:00 PM ET, ESPN2

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
#9 Tennessee Volunteers: 8-1 (2-1 SEC)

ErGH3DzVkAAwwwK

@

Texas A&M Aggies: 6-3 (1-2 SEC)

usa_today_12172807.0.jpg

GAME 10 | TENNESSEE at TEXAS A&M - Jan. 9, 2021 | 2 p.m. ET | Reed Arena

Line: UT -10.5
O/U: 130

TV: ESPN2 / Watch
Radio:
Vol Network / Listen
Satellite Radio:
Sirius: 132 / XM: 191 / Internet: ---
Online: WatchESPN app

Texas A&M Game Notes

ErPD-tAXUAEXP9v

Last edited:
THE SERIES

• Tennessee leads its all-time series with Texas A&M, 8-6, dating to 1951. The Aggies joined the SEC for the 2012-13 season.
• The Aggies won last season's lone meeting, 63-58, in Knoxville. It was the first head-to-head coaching matchup between Rick Barnes and Buzz Williams.
• Tennessee holds a 3-2 advantage when the series is contested in Bryan-College Station and has won the last two meetings at Reed Arena. The last time Tennessee visited Reed Arena, the Vols were the nation's top-ranked team (Feb. 2, 2019).

LAYUP LINES

• Rick Barnes once interviewed Aggies head coach Buzz Williams for an assistant coach position during Barnes' tenure as the head coach at Texas.
• Senior John Fulkerson was named to the Wooden Award's Midseason Top-25 List Wednesday.
• In the second half of the Arkansas win, Fulkerson totaled 12 points, five rebounds, three assists and no turnovers.
• Five-star freshman Keon Johnson made the first start of his career Wednesday vs. Arkansas and scored a season-high 14 points. He was 6-for-6 from the foul line in the game's final two minutes.
• Santiago Vescovi's 2.2 assist/turnover ratio is the best in the SEC.
• Overall this season, Tennessee leads the SEC in five team statistical categories, including scoring defense, scoring margin, turnovers per game, turnover margin and assist/turnover ratio.

DEFENSE WINS

• Tennessee ranks fourth in the NCAA in scoring defense, allowing just 57.1 points per game.
• According to KenPom, the Vols rank second in the NCAA in adjusted defensive efficiency, allowing only 87.0 points per 100 possessions so far this season. College teams average close to 70 possessions per game.
• The Vols are forcing 17.7 turnovers per game while converting those turnovers into 19.3 points per game. Tennessee's turnover margin stands at +7.8 (second nationally).
• UT leads the nation in percentage of two-point field goals blocked on defense (18 percent).
• Tennessee has yet to allow an opposing player to score 20 points this season.
• Reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year Yves Pons has an incredible 13 blocks through UT's first three SEC games.
• Pons has 93 blocks in his last 40 games.

ABOUT TEXAS A&M

• After struggling through non-conference play to start last season, Texas A&M began to piece things together during SEC play, recovering to finish 10-8 in league play and in the top half of the conference standings. Through nine games this season, the Aggies sit at 6-3 and 1-2 in the SEC after dropping conference contests to LSU and South Carolina.
• Second-year head coach Buzz Williams aims to build off the momentum built toward the end of last season, as he has five of his top seven scorers from last season returning.
• One of those returners is sophomore forward Emanuel Miller. In eight played games, Miller has been a force in both scoring and on the glass, holding the team lead in points with 18.5 per contest, and rebounds, hauling in 8.3 boards per game. His 18.5 points per game are more than a 12-point jump from the 6.4 he averaged as a freshman last season.
• Senior guard Quenton Jackson has also upped his scoring production from last season, ranking second on the team with 12.1 points per game, an increase of more than three points per game.
• Joining Jackson in the backcourt is guard Andre Gordon. Gordon ranks third on the team in scoring (8.9 ppg) and first in assists. In the Aggies' most recent victory last Saturday against Auburn, Gordon knocked down the game-winning shot with just under a second to play, to down the Tigers, 68-66.
• Bryan-College Station, where Texas A&M University is located, is a metropolitan area centering on the twin cities of Bryan and College Station in the Brazos Valley region of Texas. The estimated 2019 population of the three-country metro area was 273,101.

Tennessee versus Texas A&M is always a close game that is usually decided in the last few minutes.

James and Fulkerson will again have big games today to lead Tennessee to a victory.

Reactions: feathersax
Tennessee versus Texas A&M is always a close game that is usually decided in the last few minutes.

James and Fulkerson will again have big games today to lead Tennessee to a victory.
Tennessee better have a rebounding mentality game. Rebounding killed us in our loss against them last year, and the Aggies have virtually the same team.

This one may be a good bounce back from our 2 back to back sloppy performances. Honestly looking for more iso drawn up for Keon.

DEFENSE WINS

• Tennessee ranks fourth in the NCAA in scoring defense, allowing just 57.1 points per game.
• According to KenPom, the Vols rank second in the NCAA in adjusted defensive efficiency, allowing only 87.0 points per 100 possessions so far this season. College teams average close to 70 possessions per game.
• The Vols are forcing 17.7 turnovers per game while converting those turnovers into 19.3 points per game. Tennessee's turnover margin stands at +7.8 (second nationally).
• UT leads the nation in percentage of two-point field goals blocked on defense (18 percent).
• Tennessee has yet to allow an opposing player to score 20 points this season.
• Reigning SEC Defensive Player of the Year Yves Pons has an incredible 13 blocks through UT's first three SEC games.
• Pons has 93 blocks in his last 40 games.

But... but... but... Barnes won’t play a zone.

My main concern is Pons staying out of foul trouble as he is our best defender around the rim.
Maybe I’m a weirdo but I remember this game being the worst officiated game last year with like 40 fouls and several missed calls or something. Looking at the box score, apparently Josiah fouled out and Fulk had serious foul trouble. I hope we play safe on that front

Maybe I’m a weirdo but I remember this game being the worst officiated game last year with like 40 fouls and several missed calls or something. Looking at the box score, apparently Josiah fouled out and Fulk had serious foul trouble. I hope we play safe on that front
I think I remember that as one game where we got the royal shaft on several calls.

Dare one hope that announcers talk more about the game than, I dunno, EVERYTHING else in the wide world of sports?

Reactions: chuckb1448

VN Store

Back