The Official #3 Tennessee vs. #11 Michigan NCAA Tournament Game Thread, 5:50 PM ET, CBS

I've seen a lot of different things pinpointed as the "turning point" of this loss, but I think the real shift in momentum came when Tennessee opened up a small lead and started blowing by Michigan's bigs, who looked winded and unable to keep up. If this really was a game of our guards against their post players, then our guards were winning and starting to run away with it. But as soon as we got that little cushion, there were multiple successive timeouts, often after a single possession. I think there were three, more or less, in a row. I don't know enough to complain about that, or say "oh this is rigged" or "that was not right." Media timeouts are just lousy, I guess. But I do think Michigan's bigs getting a chance to rest, repeatedly, helped them hunker down and play for that last eight minute stretch. And Tennessee never looked in sync afterward.

60-54 and had the ball. Couldn’t end them. Could only score 8 more points over the final 8 minutes.

Now 0-3 versus UM in the NCAAT. 3 different coaches. Plus the stolen Heisman.

@VolGee4 I apologize for my outburst, that was the emotions talking and I shouldn’t have said what I did.

No problem…I know it’s frustrating, and emotions get to us. We did something last week that I had never seen before, and I literally had a tear in my eye. I will remember this year.

We all want the sane thing, but I do get frustrated with some on here. Just wait until we get that next mid major coach.

Reactions: VolsSportsFan
I've never ignored anyone, but I sure am dong it now. Why do people who never speak when we win, come out of the woodwork when we lose? A bunch of other team fans? Surely can't be VOLS fans because this team was amazing and Barnes did a great job coaching them up-- Winner of SEC championship.
Yeah, you’re right. He did do a good job of making us better throughout the year and he had us peaking at the right time. It just hurts. I usually don’t go all in because I know our history but I really thought we would have a good run in the tourney. Overall it was a good year. I was expecting at least one more game but it is what it is.

Reactions: JCP201
Another interesting stat, that corner that Michigan kept forcing us to, TN shot under 30% from all season. Everywhere else on the floor they are at least 35%

As much as I think Barnes is a massive choke artist...and he is....he does beat Kentucky and did win the SEC tourney. I don't necessarily want another coach because it is nice to be relevant every year. I get and understand that. Just have to be content with what he can bring...and that's some good stuff...but never will be the ultimate prize...or even close..but I'd rather have that than insignificance.

No chance — it’s emotional now, it’s raw now, they’re a bonded team now BUT MILLIONS OF DOLLARS WILL SOON BE TALKING 😂
I mean, everyone is saying that… and I agree partially with the money part. Who is to say he can’t make just as much with NIL here next year as a rookie salary for 1 year in the league? 1 more year to polish his game and develop mentally and physically. Im 5/95 he gone, but damn he should give us 1 more run at it lol.

As much as I think Barnes is a massive choke artist...and he is....he does beat Kentucky and did win the SEC tourney. I don't necessarily want another coach because it is nice to be relevant every year. I get and understand that. Just have to be content with what he can bring...and that's some good stuff...but never will be the ultimate prize...or even close..but I'd rather have that than insignificance.
We’ve been relevant for the nearly the last 2 decades. I would imagine whoever our next coach is will continue that trend. UT isn’t hard to win at.

He’s gone as far here as every single coach at the university except Pearl.

Barnes has won a regular season SEC title and now a SECT title. Is 3rd in most wins at UT, and for a school with only one elite eight appearance he has done great. Factor in the COVID effect removing tournaments in one season and drastically altering another season and his career here has been pretty impressive.

No clue if he’ll help us make a run while here, but at least he’ll leave the program in a far better place than he inherited it.
Nice take.

Our past choke jobs in the tourney prevented me from even considering the possibility of going to the final four...but still didn't expect to be ousted this early. Every time I give Barnes some slack....he says "hold my beer." I knew Barnes was a tournament choke artist...but he even managed to outdo his past failures and take em to another level. My bad for even having the minutest of faith in that guy. Never again.

Wow, and we were all really hoping you would just one more time.

Yeah, refs like your punkass decided the game. If you’re located locally, I would love to meet your beta bitch ass personally. I doubt you’ll do a lot other then have a moronic reply because guys like you are genuinely cowardly and pathetic excuses as a man
You’re a real treat

Huh? You do know a lot of SEC schools didn’t even get to the tournament. We won the SEC Championship. Women are doing good. Football is Up.

Why don’t you go root for another school?
Good Lord. Give it a rest. We make the College Baseball World Series and immediately drop the first two. We get to a bowl game and lose in heartbreaking fashion. We make the NCAA tournament and yet again painstakingly lose. You’re either new to your UT fandom or you live in your own reality. Either way, better get used to disappointment

VN Store

Back