The Official #3 Tennessee @ Missouri Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPN2

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
#3 Tennessee Volunteers: 12-1 (1-0 SEC)

large960_blur-3ade17ada3e5cdb6dfa815635c14dd20.jpg

@

Missouri Tigers: 9-3 (0-0 SEC)

i

GAME 14 | TENNESSEE at MISSOURI - Jan. 8, 2019 | 7 p.m. ET | | Mizzou Arena (15,061)

Line: UT -8
O/U: 139

TV: ESPN2
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius: 81, XM: 81
Online: WatchESPN.com

14_At_Missouri.jpg

Last edited:
A WIN WOULD...

Extend Tennessee's win streak to nine games.

Give the Vols a four-game win streak in true road games, dating to last season.

Give Tennessee 17 wins away from home since the start of last season.

Move Rick Barnes into a tie for 24th on the all-time Division I coaching wins list. Barnes has 673 career victories. Ralph Miller (Wichita State, Iowa, Oregon State) stands alone in 24th with 674 triumphs.

STORYLINES

Missouri last played on Dec. 29 and will have had nine days off.

Cuonzo Martin was Tennessee's head coach for three seasons from 2011-14.

Tennessee leads the country in assists per game (21.3 apg) and assist/turnover ratio (1.9).

Over their last five games, the Vols are averaging 92.0 points while shooting .560 as a team.

Tennessee is off to its best 13-game start since also starting the season 12-1 in 2007-08.

With an average attendance of 17,499, Tennessee ranks fourth nationally.

The Vols haven't trailed since the 10:40 mark of the first half against Wake Forest. That's a streak of 110 minutes and 40 seconds of game action.

Tennessee's 53 first-half points against Georgia Saturday were more than UGA managed the entire game (50).

LAYUPS

Grant Williams leads the SEC in scoring (19.9 ppg), ranks second in field-goal percentage (.597), fourth in rebounding (8.3 rpg) and eighth in assists (4.1 apg). He also owns the team's best plus-minus (per 40) rating at +25.36.

Admiral Schofield is the SEC's third-leading scorer (18.2 ppg), and his .455 3-point percentage ranks second in the league.

Kyle Alexander is shooting .826 from the field over the last three games (19 of 23).

Jordan Bowden is coming off a season-best, 20-point effort in Saturday's dismantling of UGA.

Junior guard Lamonté Turner, last season's SEC Co-Sixth Man of the Year, returned from a nagging left shoulder injury to play 15 minutes vs. Georgia Saturday. In just his fourth appearance of the season, Turner totaled six points and two assists.

ABOUT MISSOURI

Now in his second season with Missouri, Cuonzo Martin has the Tigers sitting at 9-3 heading into their conference opener against UT.

Heading into league play, Mizzou is riding a six-game winning streak and boasts wins over Illinois, Oregon State and Xavier. Two of MU’s three losses came at the hands of Big 12 foes away from home.

Jordan Geist has been the best player for Missouri so far, leading the Tigers in scoring (13.9 ppg), assists (2.8 apg) and steals (1.4 spg). The senior guard has scored in double digits in eight of the last nine games, including four 20-point performances.

Mark Smith (12.0 ppg, 5.4 rpg) is close behind Geist in the scoring column. The two have combined for more than half of the team’s 3-pointers this year, accounting for 55 triples between the two. Smith paces the Tigers with 30 treys while shooting at a 46-percent clip from beyond the arc.

Sophomore forward Jeremiah Tilmon (10.8 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.9 bpg) rounds out the double-digit scorers for Mizzou. He has four double-doubles this season, including two in the last three games.

Missouri doesn’t have a high-scoring offensive scheme, ranking last in the SEC with an average of 69.1 points per game. However, the Tigers are the best team in the league when it comes to shooting from beyond the arc. MU is shooting 39 percent from deep, and 38 percent of its total made field goals have been 3-pointers, which is also the highest ratio in the conference.

On the other end of the floor, Mizzou’s tempo and solid defense has caused its opponents to struggle on offense, as the Tigers rank second in the SEC in scoring defense with 63.2 points allowed per game.

I’m worried about this one considering they are the more rested team and at home. Don’t expect an upset but think it will be a 40 minute fight

Reactions: Catbone
Scrolling through Mizzou's schedule, I see no reason for them to be 35th in Katz's rankings...74th in KenPom is more believable but they have no impressive wins and almost lost to Kennesaw st and UCF. I'm sure Cuonzo will have them amped to play but I think we'll pull away in second

Short turn around (2 days) on the road for the Good Guys versus 9 days off and a home game for misery. Seems fair.

I’m worried about this one considering they are the more rested team and at home. Don’t expect an upset but think it will be a 40 minute fight
Agree, why did the SEC schedule us to travel to Mizzou for a Tuesday game when they haven't played for 9 days? I think we will win but will be a difficult win

Reactions: Vol49er
Agree, why did the SEC schedule us to travel to Mizzou for a Tuesday game when they haven't played for 9 days? I think we will win but will be a difficult win
Our guys are ready. They were famished before that Georgia and are still waiting for that challenge from that will cure their hunger.

Last edited:

Most likely bc nobody checked nor cared. It'll be good practice for the 2day NCAA turnaround. If we can't beat Mizzu on 2days rest, then how we gonna beat UNC or Michigan etc? Go Vols!

Its a Cuonzo Martin team. They wont start competing till like February. Lol

I like our matchup. They play at a snails pace but can be turnover prone and don’t shoot FTs well. Basically a perfect game for Fulky to bounce back. He can be a pest down low on defense and it won’t hurt us too much if he fouls.

I think Grant will have another feast on offense and Bowden will look good again. Geist vs Bone will be a fun matchup

The men need to take up for the Lady Vols and stomp Mo like they did Ga. Show them that if their women want to play dirty against the Lady Vols, their men's team will pay for it with a big loss. GBO.

I think Missouri tries to slow down the tempo and UT needs to control the glass and force a number of turnovers on the defensive end and pound the ball inside to Alexander and Williams offensively while limiting the three ball shots and working for mid range jumpers.

It will be interesting to see how many Tennessee fans are in the crowd tomorrow night.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I think Missouri tries to slow down the tempo and UT needs to control the glass and force a number of turnovers on the defensive end and pound the ball inside to Alexander and Williams offensively while limiting the three ball shots and working for mid range jumpers.

It will be interesting to see how many Tennessee fans are in the crowd tomorrow night.
We can win at any pace IMO. If Missouri is smart w the basketball and makes their FTs then it might be closer than expected. After a long layoff they’ll definitely come out hungry. But I don’t see it happening for them

Mo will keep it close for about the first 12 minutes and slowly pull away. jmo , I hope they dont call some cheap fouls on Grant

Reactions: Vols All Day

VN Store

Back