The Official #22 Tennessee vs. Southern Cal Game Thread, 1:30 PM ET, ESPN2

Kansas is 6’6”, 6’7”, and a couple 6’8”. JJJ would really increase the odds of knocking off KU. Mashack should get a lot of minutes. We’ll get to see if Phillips is ahead of schedule or just had a nice game versus USC.

Reactions: gainesvol82
Kansas is 6’6”, 6’7”, and a couple 6’8”. JJJ would really increase the odds of knocking off KU. Mashack should get a lot of minutes. We’ll get to see if Phillips is ahead of schedule or just had a nice game versus USC.
Do we know if triple J will play against KU?

Julian Phillips is probably the most ready/polished 5 star player Barnes has had so far Tennessee

He's days and nights ahead during this time of the year opposed to what Chandler was

Disagree completely. Phillips has advantages due to his combination of size, athleticism and playmaking ability but KC was extremely polished, a great passer and also had a lot of athleticism and playmaking ability to go along with the fastest first step in the NCAA. Chandler was more polished but Phillips can make an equal or greater impact if we can get solid PG play and outside shooting from Key, Vescovi, James and ZZ.

I really like Mashack's improvement as an a aggressive defender, slasher and passer. This year's team is very well rounded, especially if BJ Edward's can earn PT at the point.

I'll take wins without JJJ all day. Loved seeing Phillips excel, especially as an option to break the zone. Hopefully we have JJJ back tomorrow and ball out against KU.
Not having JJJ stinks, but it might be a blessing in disguise. It will force Phillips to be more aggressive and it means more minutes for Mashack. Both those 2 need to see a lot of court time. They'll be the answer when the 3 balls don't fall.

Reactions: feathersax
Our fans only care about hitting 3s with Santi. Dude had 4 rebounds and 5 assists with 1 steal why holding Peterson who has a 6” height advantage to just 9 points with 7 turnovers.
Totally agree. He does everything extremely well. Absolutely one of our best rebounders. Sometimes I think shooting 3s is one of his lesser strengths.

Let’s inject a little bit of reality here. Key’s gane is absolutely nothing like Bailey’s. I don’t get the comparison.

Bailey and Key are similar physically and position wise. And not necessarily the answers as PG relief.

Key needs to step it up. With opponents focusing on shutting down Vescovi Key needs to show us that he’s a scoring threat.

They are very close as defenders. Also, Bailey and Key are who I’d want shooting free throws at the end of tight games. And obviously ZZ.

Did not play like a freshman. I would not mind this being his team from here on out. He can be the top dog.

Coach likes all his moving parts and SEEMS determined to mix and match them up early to insure they are all familiar with the different potentials. He can really use this deep bench to matchup with lots of variable lineups. Experimenting 4 games in should not be a shock.

I am really excited about the ceiling this freshman can have in his one year here. His ability to catch elevate and hit the 15 footers near the key reminds me of the best FR we have ever had. Not saying he is the second coming, and with all the pieces we have nobody will be prioritized and fed like King was on a much shorter bench even with Ernie out there, but he is gifted and can shoulder more of the game load.

Everybody that was getting minutes seemed to be following the get it to the middle zone busting playbook instead of forcing the offense we are more familiar with... We will be better prepared for zones as a result. Never know when we will have to meet Syracuse....

I think it will be a mistake to read too much into the minutes played during pre-conference schedule.

Good game today. Struggled moving the ball at times but for the most part the guys did a good job getting the ball into the high post. Phillips is very impressive and will continue to get better.

I hope Santi doesn’t always shoot 5-7 feet behind the line. He’s slumping at the moment and needs a get right game.

Reactions: feathersax
Bailey and Key are similar physically and position wise. And not necessarily the answers as PG relief.

Key needs to step it up. With opponents focusing on shutting down Vescovi Key needs to show us that he’s a scoring threat.

They are very close as defenders. Also, Bailey and Key are who I’d want shooting free throws at the end of tight games. And obviously ZZ.

Key has broader shoulders and more physical. He can back down his defender and finish better at the rim.

VN Store

Back