The Official #22 Tennessee vs. Southern Cal Game Thread, 1:30 PM ET, ESPN2

That game is a really good learning experience. We never developed offensive flow, but Phillips took a huge step, ZZ got some of his mojo back, and we (mostly) played great d without JJJ. We have a really long way to go, but Phillips is an important piece. He’s going to create space for others as he draws more attention.

I don’t think you sit the guy that locked down their second best player. And hit the crucial shot in OT. Prob not the best strategy. Regardless how he shoots, it never affects how he plays the game.
He is a great leader and does so much more than score. And gets more criticism than anyone. Hit probably the biggest shot in the game but should sit. God bless our ignorant fans.

Lots of beyatching going on about CRB’s use of his TO at the end of regulation. I think that he was trying to let them play it out to the end without stopping (and allowing USC to set up their defense), and finally called it when he saw that they weren’t going to get a good look.

He is a great leader and does so much more than score. And gets more criticism than anyone. Hit probably the biggest shot in the game but should sit. God bless our ignorant fans.

I would like to understand why Mashack didn’t play much in the second half. He played really well in the first half and was on the bench for nearly the entire second half.
Also didn’t like our OT lineup at the beginning with ORN and Aidoo and no Key - especially against their zone.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
I would like to understand why Mashack didn’t play much in the second half. He played really well in the first half and was on the bench for nearly the entire second half.
Also didn’t like our OT lineup at the beginning with ORN and Aidoo and no Key - especially against their zone.

I didn’t like him hanging out beyond the free throw circle on offense instead of on the wing or on the blocks. He doesn’t add anything from that outside positioning. He can’t slash from there and he’s not an outside shooter.

I think Mashack would have played more down the stretch, but Ziggy was really disrupting USC’s offense by harassing Ellis without fouling him.

Reactions: gainesvol82
He could be special by his senior year.

Reactions: Kas232323
I didn’t like him hanging out beyond the free throw circle on offense instead of on the wing or on the blocks. He doesn’t add anything from that outside positioning. He can’t slash from there and he’s not an outside shooter.

I think Mashack would have played more down the stretch, but Ziggy was really disrupting USC’s offense by harassing Ellis without fouling him.
Key looked very uncomfortable v. Zone

Mashack and ZZ play different positions. I mean the entire second half. He played very well in the first half - would’ve like to have seen him in the game. Definitely like his progression from last year.

Reactions: walkenvol
Lots of beyatching going on about CRB’s use of his TO at the end of regulation. I think that he was trying to let them play it out to the end without stopping (and allowing USC to set up their defense), and finally called it when he saw that they weren’t going to get a good look.
I dont mind the TO, just thought the play call wasn't good, or the guys failed that bad at execution.

Mashack and ZZ play different positions. I mean the entire second half. He played very well in the first half - would’ve like to have seen him in the game. Definitely like his progression from last year.

There aren’t positions on defense. Mashack guarded Ellis some in the first half. ZZ harassed him the entire second half.

Shooting has been disappointing to start the year, but the defense has continued to look the typical elite part that a Barnes team is known for and we’re winning games without arguably our team leader. If Phillips continues to grow at this trajectory, and JJJ can get healthy, this team has a chance.

PG play still is a concern for me though. Feels like so much is asked of ZZ to be flawless.

I dont mind the TO, just thought the play call wasn't good, or the guys failed that bad at execution.

They probably went with something that should have been only a win or OT. They didn’t even sit down with the players the first 30 seconds of that TO. But Santi messed that up by not even drawing iron. If he would have the clock likely runs out instead of the shot clock violation and USC getting 3.2 seconds. Luckily our defense prevented them from even getting across mid court.

VN Store

Back