The Official #21 Tennessee vs. Vanderbilt Game Thread, 3:30 PM ET, SEC Network

This year was a disappointment by coaches own words. That’s just the truth when you raise expectations. We are all thrilled with that. But you can’t ever rest in this league so if you bat above your average and get all the praise and contract bumps you better be ready for flack when you’re average.
Like I said .... Heupel should have dropped 2 more games last year on purpose .... just to avoid the dreaded "signs of regression" this year. Maybe that's what Butch Jones had in mind when he choked away the Oklahoma and Florida games in 2015? He just didn't want there to be the appearance of regression in 2016? How nice of him. LOL.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Guess you'll never answer, which is itself the answer.

Not so sure what's so hard to understand about having the foresight in expecting a strong armed QB to have a good game against one of the worst pass defense teams in the country on Senior Day so I really can't help you here.

Like its been said, some men you just can't reach.

It was a nice throw, but how often will a QB get 6 full seconds to drop back and pass, without having to scramble at all, and still not have anyone in his face when he releases the ball? I don't know about the wisdom behind that two man rush with a spy .... on 4th and goal from the 31. Freeze called a timeout to set up that defense as well. He seemed way too concerned that Millroe might reach the end zone on a QB draw ... from the 31 yard line though? Strange.
Yes it was a nice throw but he never should have been allowed to stand back there for that amount of time. He’s not going to scramble for a 30 yard TD. Rush him and force him to throw it before the receivers can get to the end zone. If he dumps it off, come up and make the tackle. Game over. That loss is completely on Auburn’s mistakes in the last few minutes.

Not so sure what's so hard to understand about having the foresight in expecting a strong armed QB to have a good game against one of the worst pass defense teams in the country on Senior Day so I really can't help you here.

And here I am still waiting for your answer.

Well, maybe we will see Nico next season. 8-4 is fine, except we got blown off the field in all four losses. I had no expectation of Nico getting significant playing time even being up as much as we were. It’s a mystery, but Heupel must have a plan. Whatever the plan was, it didn’t involve any meaningful playing time, bowl game included. Very disappointing. Good luck next year, Nico.
I just watched the highlights and was thinking the same thing. If he is your QB, why not play him in a meaningful game, with meaningful snaps. Nope, let Milton shine, for what? I will never know. Milton is a joke, as usual has a fantastic game vs inferior competition. I hope he broke some kinda record.

It’s not the 8-4, I predicted 9-3. It‘s the lack of fight in the team in the big games. Especially the defense. For the most part, even in portions of this game, the team just rolled over. I think the best example of that could be seen just a mere week ago. And I think that plain sucks.

I hate Joe Milton. Not as a person. He looks like a very cool guy. But as a QB, let me put it this way, if I had to pick from all the QBs I’ve seen playing for the Vols over the last 40 years, he would be my very last. Why? Well it’s not because he is not accurate or can’t throw it down the field 70 yards. It’s because I have never seen him cry at the end of a close fought loss or yell at a team mate for laziness. And I know I never will. I’ve never seen him do anything to let me know he even cared. All smile and when you can throw the ball 90 yards, who cares, apparently not the coach. But of course, inevitably pathetically collapses when playing against the best. I guess it’s all just uniforms to him. Michigan, Tennessee, whatever, just give me my money and send me to the NFL. LAST!!!

And for the coach to keep him, even in meaningless situations, when others, anybody could be getting meaningful reps. Just pathetic. Unfathomable at best, delirious at worst. WTF?!!! None of it makes much sense.

It’s not the record that matters, we are going to a meaningless bowl anyway, hopefully in Florida. It’s the fact that I never felt this team really cared, when it really mattered. Maybe in that first half vs Bama. But that’s just about it.

As for the coaching. Can’t say, I was all that impressed. Defense collapsed after a few key injuries. Offense, well the fact you would play Joe for virtually the entire Vandy game for pretty much no reason sums up my thoughts on that.

For next year…

I‘ll sum up.
Defense, defense, defense… This team needs someone who will fire them up!! This team needs a little nasty.
Offense… In Nico We Trust.

Last edited:

Well, we rushed for 350+ yards last year so this year I expected them to commit to stopping the run and leave their DBs in a lot of 1 on 1 coverage. That’s how they opened the game and Joe made the right read to throw the ball…

Heupel has our program in the best position it has been in almost 20 years and it is only going to get better. Wake up and appreciate from where we have come and where we are likely going. In addition, he has done this with a skeleton squad with limited scholarships. I am very thankful and appreciate what he has accomplished.
Good for you, pal.

I have lived thru three eras of Vols top-ten football, not just the 90's. So I have some perspective here.
Heupel had one magical season and it was great. He appears to be a huge improvement over the last three coaches that we hired.
He may be and I hope he is, our next long-term coach who takes us back to consistent top 10 finishes, where we belong.
There is a lot of good so far in Coach Heupel's three seasons here, but there are a few valid concerns.
The next two seasons should answer most questions.

Reactions: Vol1976
I wasn't being negative just stating an opinion on an opiniated forum. I root for the guy and am thankful for what he has done thus far. Not big on his in game adjustments or lack there of or his timeout management. Needs to fix his coaching staff also. Last years team happened because of Hooker and an all star team of wide recievers to go along with a solid backfield. He is gonna have to recruit at a much higher level and pull in high quality transfers going forward. Otherwise we will never get back on Bama and Ugays level the way Tennessee is supposed to be! I know plenty about football. I want higher standards than to be a mediocre football program. We are a traditional football power that has lost its way in the last decade and a half. I'm eager to get back to that level and stay there consistently. If that's wrong, sue me.
Fine. Just make a good solid point with clarity and though, why don't you.... For real, makes total sense.

Good for you, pal.

I have lived thru three eras of Vols top-ten football, not just the 90's. So I have some perspective here.
Heupel had one magical season and it was great. He appears to be a huge improvement over the last three coaches that we hired.
He may be and I hope he is, our next long-term coach who takes us back to consistent top 10 finishes, where we belong.
There is a lot of good so far in Coach Heupel's three seasons here, but there are a few valid concerns.
The next two seasons should answer most questions.
Not sure what you call an "era". I am 60 and I haven't lived through 3 different eras of top ten 10 football. Mid 60s-early70s and 1989-1999. There aren't 3 pal. Not in your lifetime anyway

Last edited:
I wanna see them put an o line in front of Nico and get a game breaking WR( or 2 ) in the off season. Portal or signing some guys I don't care.

If Ollie Lane is getting appreciable playing time next year this program is in trouble. Bless him but he isn't great against SEC competition. It's time to recruit over some of these guys if they are gonna take the next step.
Ollie is gone. He walked on senior day.

Reactions: JoeMiltonsAgent
Well, we rushed for 350+ yards last year so this year I expected them to commit to stopping the run and leave their DBs in a lot of 1 on 1 coverage. That’s how they opened the game and Joe made the right read to throw the ball…
Good point.

Guy I was responding to was just looking to troll.

Reactions: Sarms58

VN Store

Back