The Official 2021 Summer Ball Thread

Yeah. Kirby has one game as one name abd the rest as another. You also have to understand that most of these games are done by interns trying to understand and get experience in certain aspects of baseball from announcing, technology, pa persons, and more. Good job at some. Not so good at others but part of it. Summer ball is just that. Plus you never know what the coaches have told the players to work on doing summer ball. It might be a pitcher learning a new pitch or emphasizing a certain pitch more often or a batter changing his swing.

Exactly. I would think that would be the primary reason coaches would ask anyone to play more baseball than the 8/9 month school year.

Reactions: preacherman20
Looking at Booker's stats, here you have a prototypical lead-off man. He could walk some more, but a 400 obp ain't bad. And he hits doubles, which is a great thing to have, cause your leadoff man is in scoring position without having to bunt him over or risk an out on a steal attempt. Looks like a productive summer for him.

Yeah. Kirby has one game as one name abd the rest as another. You also have to understand that most of these games are done by interns trying to understand and get experience in certain aspects of baseball from announcing, technology, pa persons, and more. Good job at some. Not so good at others but part of it. Summer ball is just that. Plus you never know what the coaches have told the players to work on doing summer ball. It might be a pitcher learning a new pitch or emphasizing a certain pitch more often or a batter changing his swing.

Exactly. And the hardest part for me is trying to decipher, the relationships, the things that individual athletes are working on, what conversation was had between coaches, etc…i am just trying to make educated guesses, but summer ball will conclude soon and I won’t know any more about the roster than I do now, it’s just the nature of it, but some baseball is better than no baseball however one slices it!!!

GBO!!!

I’d prefer not to name names, but I just checked some of those stats, even if they compiled it over the weekend, it’s not correct. And no I did not go thru all 14 of them…yet…😛
A friend brought it to my attention with regard to Kirby’s stats being way behind, and I just now had a chance to review what Tennessee posted. I guess the nice thing to say is there must’ve been a hiccup somewhere, but I really don’t know where. We have all sorts of technology at our ballpark for tracking pitches and hits, but things happen 🤷‍♂️

Thanks @vol66 for finding our stats. Let me know if you’re looking for an internship next summer 😜

Man, it’s not like that at all, UT is no different than any where else. Tracking summer ball ain’t in the top 10 on the honey do list, I just happen to love it for what it is, an extension of baseball season, and it makes me, forces me, to appreciate the amount of time the players put into it. The folks that put our players up for the summer understand, and I respect the ish out of it! Y’all Rock!!!

GBO!!!

Man, it’s not like that at all, UT is no different than any where else. Tracking summer ball ain’t in the top 10 on the honey do list, I just happen to love it for what it is, an extension of baseball season, and it makes me, forces me, to appreciate the amount of time the players put into it. The folks that put our players up for the summer understand, and I respect the ish out of it! Y’all Rock!!!

GBO!!!
First, thank you!
It’s more baseball, and it’s great you appreciate it and follow it.
GBO!

First, thank you!
It’s more baseball, and it’s great you appreciate it and follow it.
GBO!

I love it, wish I understood it better, maybe it will come with time, no thanks is necessary and I appreciate all yer help on getting a handle on the Coastal this year!!!

GBO!!!

Here’s Aaron Fitt’s scouting notes on Jordan:

Jordan Beck, OF, Tennessee

“Like Newell, Beck has a first-round frame and tools to match, and he’s shown flashes of first-round production, though he’s not a finished product. He put together a very solid spring for the Volunteers, hitting .271/.336/.523 with 15 homers and 16 doubles, but his strikeout rate remained high (60 K to 24 BB). He’s hitting .243/.364/.405 with two homers, four doubles and 10 RBIs in 74 at-bats this summer, and plate discipline remains the No. 1 knock on him, as he has 32 strikeouts against 13 walks. In our first two looks, Beck struck out five times, swinging through four fastballs and one curveball. But he busted out in a big way in our third look, hitting five balls on the screws that resulted in four hits, three of them rocket doubles, with exit speeds as high as 103 mph. At 6-foot-3, 210 pounds, Beck is built like a prototype right fielder with plus raw arm strength (though his throws can be erratic at times). His plus raw power from the right side also profiles in right, and he can drive the ball with authority from the left-field line to dead-center. With a medium/high hand setup and a big leg kick, Beck generates excellent leverage, but he seems to get fooled too often by breaking balls and doesn’t make great two-strike adjustments. But his power and athleticism are valued commodities, and he has a chance to be a day one draft pick if he can improve his offensive approach and perform at a high level next spring.”

I believe Booker is no longer in Cali…I believe Taylor might still be there…nothing for certain though…Booker no longer listed on the roster.

I believe Booker is no longer in Cali…I believe Taylor might still be there…nothing for certain though…Booker no longer listed on the roster.

Perhaps players are starting head to home before fall semester begins? I checked UT’s fall semester schedule and classes begin August 18th.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Perhaps players are starting head to home before fall semester begins? I checked UT’s fall semester schedule and classes begin August 18th.

That, and for some, they won’t be in playoffs, so not a lot of reason to stay…Older guys might need to get housing in order as well.

Reactions: TN_gal

VN Store

Back