The Official 2021 Summer Ball Thread

Not sure I have mentioned here, but I was a RHP and had a short career in the minors. I have a son who is currently a RHP in the minors and another son who will be a RHP at a power 5 school next year. I did not allow either of my sons to throw a curveball until they were going into their 14 year old season, and even then it was sparingly. Why? Because I went through TJ myself, which virtually ended my career. So, arm care is near and dear to me.

In my opinion, there is absolutely zero reason a kid should learn a curveball and use it at 12 years old. Most kids that do will use it as a crutch and throw it way too much. Simply because 12 year olds will have a tough time hitting a curve, so the pitcher (and coaches) rely on it too much.

Instead, teach them a changeup and teach them how to “pitch”. Teach them how to locate pitches and work the zone. My boys learned a changeup at 10. If kids can learn it, a changeup is a much more effective pitch anyway, and it is all about grip. Doesn’t tweak the elbow at all.

VN Store

Back