The Official #19 Tennessee vs. South Carolina Game Thread, 9:00 PM ET, SEC Network

Devoe was at UT for 11 seasons and never once sniffed a team as good as 18-19. Our current team is arguably better than any team Devoe had.

Devoe was at UT for 11 seasons and never once sniffed a team as good as 18-19. Our current team is arguably better than any team Devoe had.

I would agree. My point is still pertaining to accomplishments, which is the measure of a coach in this and most sports.

Well, actually, my original intention was to note how our success as a program wasn't doomed without Barnes and his accomplishments here aren't unprecedented. I'm walking a fine line on being perceived as trashing Barnes, which is not my intent, just the right perspective.

I would agree. My point is still pertaining to accomplishments, which is the measure of a coach in this and most sports.

Well, actually, my original intention was to note how our success as a program wasn't doomed without Barnes and his accomplishments here aren't unprecedented. I'm walking a fine line on being perceived as trashing Barnes, which is not my intent, just the right perspective.

Of the UT coaches you named, which would you trade for Barnes? The only possible one for me would be Pearl. And I would have to think on him simply because of his lack of intelligence in dealing with adversity.

Of the UT coaches you named, which would you trade for Barnes? The only possible one for me would be Pearl. And I would have to think on him simply because of his lack of intelligence in dealing with adversity.
I would take Rob Lanier over Bruce Pearl because the NCAA would move to Knoxville if Bruce Pearl came back to Tennessee.

At UT? Easy. Pearl, Martin, Green and DeVoe. Barnes, as of now, has one co-SEC title and one Sweet 16 (plus a 2nd round exit). Pearl has more accomplishments, Martin has a Sweet 16, Green has a Sweet 16 and a conference title and DeVoe a Sweet 16 and conference tourney. Now, I don't think for a second Green and Martin are as good a coach as Barnes, but their accomplishments in the same time frames are roughly as good as Barnes at UT.
Not Martin. Not even close. I agree on the rest.

At UT? Easy. Pearl, Martin, Green and DeVoe. Barnes, as of now, has one co-SEC title and one Sweet 16 (plus a 2nd round exit). Pearl has more accomplishments, Martin has a Sweet 16, Green has a Sweet 16 and a conference title and DeVoe a Sweet 16 and conference tourney. Now, I don't think for a second Green and Martin are as good a coach as Barnes, but their accomplishments in the same time frames are roughly as good as Barnes at UT.

I’m surprised you mentioned Martin over Mears. Mears is IMO the best coach in program history and I don’t believe it’s close.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
What does a ranked team mean for anything? It's a March sport, about accomplishments, which can include conference titles. Barnes' accomplishments are a little better than Martin's in a similar time frame, but not much. They are the same, essentially as Green's and DeVoe's, less than Pearl's. Chris Beard has about the same number of accomplishments as does Frank Martin, but in a much shorter time frame. I expect this balance to change, as a result.

Barnes is a consistently good coach, not an elite coach. He hasn't done anything unprecedented at UT, but that doesn't mean I'm dissatisfied with his tenure. It does seem like he leaves one thinking he could've done a little better than he has, but I'm perfectly happy with him as coach, for sure. I just don't think we're experiencing a once in a lifetime coach who has done things never accomplished in Knoxville previously and we couldn't expect something similar in the future.

Now, of course, he's still got time and opportunity to do some more stuff. If he gets to the Final Four and such, all bets are off.

It is absolutely amazing how some posters don’t see this. Barnes is a good coach. He’s doing a solid job here. But people act like he’s doing stuff nobody every did when he’s doing exactly what Pearl and Green did. Which is good. But not groundbreaking. At least not yet.

It is absolutely amazing how some posters don’t see this. Barnes is a good coach. He’s doing a solid job here. But people act like he’s doing stuff nobody every did when he’s doing exactly what Pearl and Green did. Which is good. But not groundbreaking. At least not yet.

I am not sure who has stated he is doing stuff nobody ever did, hyperbole? Would you really trade Barnes for Green???

I am not sure who has stated he is doing stuff nobody ever did, hyperbole? Would you really trade Barnes for Green???

I mean the resume is the exact same. Rather have Barnes because one is a classic good ol’ southern boy who jokes around all the time and the other called us white trash multiple times basically.

I’m surprised you mentioned Martin over Mears. Mears is IMO the best coach in program history and I don’t believe it’s close.

I only referenced guys in my lifetime. I was born the year Mears left town. He was also unfortunate to also coach in a time when the tournament was very limited.

Reactions: zjcvols
If you can honestly name Martin and Green, you should do more research. DeVoe was decent, but not up to Barnes level. Green took all his inherited talent and made a shambles of some highly touted players.

Reactions: Mikevol1964
If you can honestly name Martin and Green, you should do more research. DeVoe was decent, but not up to Barnes level. Green took all his inherited talent and made a shambles of some highly touted players.
DeVoe didn’t adjust well after the shot clock and three point line. And think, the original shot clock was 45 seconds. Moved to 35 in 1993.
I wouldn’t say Green took it to shambles. 89-36 record while here. Sweet Sixteen. At the time, we were winning at a clip we hadn’t seen in a long while. But, It was easy to see that he wasn’t recruiting to the level it should be and it was getting ready to turn south. Everyone knew he benefited from the tireless recruiting work of what O’Neil had built. His comments toward the fans sealed it. Green’s record prior to getting here and the fact that he never coached again after leaving tells the bigger story. UT was the best thing to happen to Green’s career. He was 72-70 his five years prior at Oregon.

I will give him credit as he signed Ron Slay who continues to be my favorite. And, he revitalized Rashard Lee

DeVoe didn’t adjust well after the shot clock and three point line. And think, the original shot clock was 45 seconds. Moved to 35 in 1993.
I wouldn’t say Green took it to shambles. 89-36 record while here. Sweet Sixteen. At the time, we were winning at a clip we hadn’t seen in a long while. But, It was easy to see that he wasn’t recruiting to the level it should be and it was getting ready to turn south. Everyone knew he benefited from the tireless recruiting work of what O’Neil had built. His comments toward the fans sealed it. Green’s record prior to getting here and the fact that he never coached again after leaving tells the bigger story. UT was the best thing to happen to Green’s career. He was 72-70 his five years prior at Oregon.

I will give him credit as he signed Ron Slay who continues to be my favorite. And, he revitalized Rashard Lee
His recruiting didn't fall off. He was just a SOB

I agree with your stuff. My biggest disappointment was the year he took a team with amazing talent deep into a dark rabbit hole.

VN Store

Back