The Official #19 Tennessee vs. South Carolina Game Thread, 9:00 PM ET, SEC Network

I'll say this: Fulky playing strong and Bailey catching fire might be my 1a and 1b in requests for a good chance at a post-season run. The other guys are good to go.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Dude: 20 point win that was never really in question, missing JJJ, and two of our guys that we've been really wanting to step up did just that. You might want to reevaluate.
South Carolina had two of their best players out so the missing JJJ part holds no water but Vols did fine and took care of business. Move on to the next game.

Ok I exaggerated a little. There are 59 college coaches with over 700 wins. Would you consider all of them “ great” coaches? Regardless of championships and final four appearances?

Looks like you’re still exaggerating, at least for D1 coaches. I see 32 D1 coaches in the history of basketball with 700 wins.
Didn’t think 59 sounded right.

It is hard to get an apples to apples comparison on college bb coaches.
But I will go with this:
  1. There are only about 10 active coaches with 700+ wins ( in the 'broad' P5 classification ). Men's DI college basketball coaches with the most wins
  2. It is hard to measure them against each other when they are playing entirely different levels of talent Krzyzewski at Army West Point and Duke vs Tarkanian at Fresno St, Long Beach State and UNLV are a laughable comparison.
  3. But Calipari has reached 700+ with 29 years coaching (at Massachusetts, Memphis and Ky) vs Barnes 34 years coaching (at George Mason, Providence, Clemson, Texas and Tennessee).
  4. Rick Barnes is 6-4 against Calipari
  5. Only Bill Self (721 during 28 years coaching), John Calipari (740 during 29 years coaching) and Roy Williams (898 during 33 years coaching) are in the list of 10 active coaches who are in the 700+ club who coached fewer years than Rick (723 during 34 years coaching).
  6. Some names do not belong on the list, does Richard Schmidt and Cliff Smith really count on the list of P5 active coaches, come on???
  7. By the end of this year Rick is likely to be 22nd on the list, with the next coach in front of him being John Chaney.
Rick Barnes is in the elite company of coaches. I think that would classify him as a GREAT coach (my opinion from the cheap seats).

My top 7 Active Coaches:
Mike Krzyzewski
Roy Williams
Mark Few
Jay Wright
John Calipari
Bill Self
Rick Barnes

But I will go with this:
  1. There are only about 10 active coaches with 700+ wins ( in the 'broad' P5 classification ). Men's DI college basketball coaches with the most wins
  2. It is hard to measure them against each other when they are playing entirely different levels of talent Krzyzewski at Army West Point and Duke vs Tarkanian at Fresno St, Long Beach State and UNLV are a laughable comparison.
  3. But Calipari has reached 700+ with 29 years coaching (at Massachusetts, Memphis and Ky) vs Barnes 34 years coaching (at George Mason, Providence, Clemson, Texas and Tennessee).
  5. Only Bill Self (721 during 28 years coaching), John Calipari (740 during 29 years coaching) and Roy Williams (898 during 33 years coaching) are in the list of 10 active coaches who are in the 700+ club who coached fewer years than Rick (723 during 34 years coaching).
  6. Some names do not belong on the list, does Richard Schmidt and Cliff Smith really count on the list of P5 active coaches, come on???
  7. By the end of this year Rick is likely to be 22nd on the list, with the next coach in front of him being John Chaney.
Rick Barnes is in the elite company of coaches. I think that would classify him as a GREAT coach (my opinion from the cheap seats).

My top 7 Active Coaches:
Mike Krzyzewski
Roy Williams
Mark Few
Jay Wright
John Calipari
Bill Self
Rick Barnes

Izzo and Boeheim should probably be on that list.. both great defensive coaches, anyway.

But I will go with this:

My top 7 Active Coaches:
Mike Krzyzewski
Roy Williams
Mark Few
Jay Wright
John Calipari
Bill Self
Rick Barnes

I like Barnes, but he's been to exactly one Sweet 16 in the last 13 years. It's a March sport and his record in the big show is a little spotty. As of now, he's not even the best Tennessee coach in history, but I do think he is a very good coach, for sure. He's done well here at UT. He's not elite, though.

I like Barnes, but he's been to exactly one Sweet 16 in the last 13 years. It's a March sport and his record in the big show is a little spotty. As of now, he's not even the best Tennessee coach in history, but I do think he is a very good coach, for sure. He's done well here at UT. He's not elite, though.
It will be 2 after this year. Sweet 16 is still this team's floor, imo. Sit back and enjoy it, I'm going to, in fact, I'm enjoying it, so much, that I've been to more games this year than have in the last 3 years

It will be 2 after this year. Sweet 16 is still this team's floor, imo. Sit back and enjoy it, I'm going to, in fact, I'm enjoying it, so much, that I've been to more games this year than have in the last 3 years

They're too inconsistent to have the floor as the Sweet 16. Hell, even when we were a 2 seed, we had a dog fight in the first round and an OT barn burner in the 2nd round. I hope we get hot in the tournament, but, so far, nothing suggests we will. I do think we can beat most anyone, but we are also a team who is a possible upset victim, too. I would not be surprised by a first round disappointment or an Elite 8 run.

Reactions: BisonVol
They're too inconsistent to have the floor as the Sweet 16. Hell, even when we were a 2 seed, we had a dog fight in the first round and an OT barn burner in the 2nd round. I hope we get hot in the tournament, but, so far, nothing suggests we will. I do think we can beat most anyone, but we are also a team who is a possible upset victim, too. I would not be surprised by a first round disappointment or an Elite 8 run.
I know this, man. Maybe, I'm just an eternal optimist, but I think this team continues to improve, especially with the light starting to click on for the freshmen. I think this team is going to peak at the right time and play damn good ball in March. Of course, I'm occasionally wrong and it's very possible, we could lose to about anybody when the shots are not falling. Still, as of right now, everybody we lost to are Tournament locks, except Ole Miss, who is a bubble team and a 12 seed (play-in) team in a couple of mock brackets,

I know this, man. Maybe, I'm just an eternal optimist, but I think this team continues to improve, especially with the light starting to click on for the freshmen. I think this team is going to peak at the right time and play damn good ball in March. Of course, I'm occasionally wrong and it's very possible, we could lose to about anybody when the shots are not falling. Still, as of right now, everybody we lost to are Tournament locks, except Ole Miss, who is a bubble team and a 12 seed (play-in) team in a couple of mock brackets,

We are 3-5 against kenpom top 50 teams since (4-6 if you want to count #51 Missouri) since SEC play. I like this team but they just got thoroughly beaten by LSU and we beat the second worst team in the SEC without two of their top 4 guys.

We are 3-5 against kenpom top 50 teams since (4-6 if you want to count #51 Missouri) since SEC play. I like this team but they just got thoroughly beaten by LSU and we beat the second worst team in the SEC without two of their top 4 guys.
Sweet 16 is the floor, imo and I'm sticking with it. Call me out after UT's final loss, until then, I'm right until I'm proven wrong

I think LSU is a particularly bad matchup for this team, hope we can avoid them for the rest of the way

I think LSU is a particularly bad matchup for this team, hope we can avoid them for the rest of the way

LSU shot lights out and we shot miserably, and rarely rebounded our misses. Smart has it in for us and Thomas was a beast. By most accounts it was LSU's best game so far - it was probably our worst after FL. The biggest takeaway imo: our new up-tempo brand of ball can't overcome 35% shooting, especially when the other side shoots 51%

I wouldn't mind seeing them in the SECT - I think we'd reverse the earlier outcome, and I'd love to see their cheating HC walk out a loser.

Upsets in the big dance are more the rule than the exception. Not 2 or 3 upsets every year, but many more than that. Looking at results historically, that is just the nature of college basketball. Too many people perceive there’s only ONE truly successful coach each season.

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back