The Official #10 Tennessee @ Kentucky Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, CBS

They could have won two games lately on free throws alone. This team has too many warts..

The free throw wart is what will get them beat in the postseason. They have the defense to make almost any game a knock down drag out affair, but in those kinds of games when points are at a premium, you gotta be able to make the freebies.

This team plays better with ZZ coming off the bench. ON has disappeared since his big game several weeks ago, he needs to watch. Plavsic has turned into a floor bully. The big thing that gets me though is how tight these guys are playing. They’re pressing for sure. All you can do is move on to the next one. I remember practices back in the day when our high school coach would make the next practice after a game like this nothing but running suicides after shooting 10 free throws…. For hours.

Reactions: GBOx2
All this started when Barnes changed the lineup at the Texas game and has stuck with it. This is on Barnes. ZZ is a lot better coming off the bench. I know Key was not playing good but he still isnt playing good. He should go back to the line up he had been with all year before the Texas game. It seemed to work better.
They could help themselves by just taking better shots..ON shooting 3's is 9 out of 10 times a wasted possession.

The free throw wart is what will get them beat in the postseason. They have the defense to make almost any game a knock down drag out affair, but in those kinds of games when points are at a premium, you gotta be able to make the freebies.
The free throws today were a little bit of bad luck. It seems like the guys that consistently drew fouls were plastic, Mashack, Awaka, Adoo. Especially in the one and one. Our worst foul shooters. We need to get ZZ and Vescovi to drive more to get those fouls calls. It seems like they only draw fouls at the end of games. you don’t go to the foul line much if you only shoot 3s.

Reactions: GBOx2
Bottom line - Not our day. Played hard. Just off.
They are 2-4 in their last 6 games. So out of those 6 games 4 was not their day. Its not just 1 game. They have lost 6 games to teams they had no business losing to. Good teams do not lose 6 games to bad teams

It doesn’t seem like it should be that difficult to shoot 70% from the FT line, but this team makes it look terribly difficult

Question is "why don't they"?

FTs are practice and muscle memory... Absolutely inexcusable to shoot less than 80%

Gotta be a coaching practice thing....

Reactions: tnvols72
I get what you’re saying, but I don’t know why everyone thinks our only options are quick exits from the NCAA tourney with Barnes or lost in the wilderness. Why can’t UT aspire to make it to the next level?

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
Free throws are a microcosm of our offensive woes.

They are 2-4 in their last 6 games. So out of those 6 games 4 was not their day. Its not just 1 game. They have lost 6 games to teams they had no business losing to. Good teams do not lose 6 games to bad teams
Could have lost to Auburn too

Disappointing to say the least. Just like the first half at Florida. They dug a large hole and couldn’t come back. This 3 games lately that they shot poorly in the 1st half. You can’t get behind by double digits and expect to come back.
Nope and especially on the road. This team just doesn’t make sense. Beat 3 out of the top 5 teams in America according to seeding, then lose bunch of unranked teams. Other than losing at Arizona, keep getting beat to lesser opponents. Ruined what could have been a special regaular season.

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t know why everyone thinks our only options are quick exits from the NCAA tourney with Barnes or lost in the wilderness. Why can’t UT aspire to make it to the next level?
That's one of those deals where you may end up worse off. Really though a regular season pat on the back really shouldn't be the goal..

We’re 20-7. 9-5 in SEC. Not great, but good. Lost again today. Season isn’t over.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
There is not much to say, they can play the best defense in the country but they still have to knock down open shots and hit free throws. They are just as bad from 1 ft as they are from 30 ft. Too bad, great bunch of guys but this is basketball where the point is putting the ball thru the hoop.

Reactions: VOLnVANDYland
Nope and especially on the road. This team just doesn’t make sense. Beat 3 out of the top 5 teams in America according to seeding, then lose bunch of unranked teams. Other than losing at Arizona, keep getting beat to lesser opponents. Ruined what could have been a special regaular season.
Would not surprise me if their only win in these remaining games is USCe

I’d rather not watch a team miss every free throw. Absolutely horrendous how bad we are at the line. Refs didn’t decide this one.
I under stand that we have to make the free throws we do attempt. But to have that big of a difference in free throw attempts is absurd. When was the last time you seen a team make 20 more free throws than the other team attempted?

Would not surprise me if their only win in these remaining games is USCe
And wouldn’t be surprised if went 4-0. You don’t know what you are gonna get from this team. It’s not as bad as the Covid team but it is frustrating. One thing for sure, ZZ has to stay out of foul trouble. He can’t play only 23 minutes like he did today.

VN Store

Back